52 posts
  • 4 / 6
 by Hacksaw
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The horns have gone from grease pencil to super wide (Waterfields) to super skinny (StL / LA 2).

From the yellow to the sparkly StL gold to the white Gabriel horns, they have always had a continuous sharp curved edge on both sides and curled up at the end. That is our Rams horn.

The mock shown in the Helmet thread is a departure from that. It's like taking the eye patch off the Raider, or the feathers off the Redskins.
As was mentioned before the Rams horns are the original helmet logo in the NFL and maintaining it's original form draws attention to the long storied tradition and innovation by the Rams organization.

This new horn (if it really is the new horn) resembles a young goats horns above a crescent moon. The moon is the first thing I see.
It looks kind of cool although cartoonish, but it's not representative of the Rams since the beginning. They did have a red helmet that had textured edges but even that year it had continuous edges, , like a real horn.

I dig the helmet color (in that mock) and I like the matching face mask too. It's just the iconic horn that now has a line through it that I'm having trouble with.
Change tradition for that? Rams horns aren't 2 pieces and they do curl up on the end.
So what is the line separation supposed to signify anyway? Is that the Ram that lost the headbutt battle and has a broken horn? Or is it attempting to create some sort of depth dimension? If so,, epic fail there.

We have all seen the changes over the half century + of following our team. Subtle and not so subtle. But even GF didn't screw with the horns other than color. So color me an extremely disappointed Rams fan if that mock is accurate.

Sure I'll get used to it, but that was an unnecessary change that would have never driven 1 millennial away in the future.

by rams74
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1472  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:It's just the iconic horn that now has a line through it that I'm having trouble with.
Change tradition for that? Rams horns aren't 2 pieces and they do curl up on the end.
So what is the line separation supposed to signify anyway? Is that the Ram that lost the headbutt battle and has a broken horn? Or is it attempting to create some sort of depth dimension? If so,, epic fail there.

If you look at the new Rams head logo, you see the horn to the right (the ram's left horn) is in two sections. The same is true of the ram's right horn. It's in sections because on a real ram, the front of the horns are sort of flat as they start to curl back, with an almost 90-degree edge as it drops off on both sides of each horn.

Anyway, when I look at the Rams head logo, I'm seeing that the line represents a definite edge to the horn, with the front part being flat and the other sides more curved. Based on that, I think the single horn in the LA logo is doing the same thing. The line is an edge of a 3-dimensional horn.

So that's what I'm seeing, and I'm trying hard to continue to see it that way. I don't always succeed in seeing it that way, but I'm hanging on to that for now.

That doesn't explain why the horn in the logo doesn't continue curling around to the extent that it should, but it does explain the line (at least, for me it does).

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 weeks ago

It just doesn't look good to me on the helmet, , if this is the helmet.
new ram helmet mock.jpg

by aeneas1
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:It just doesn't look good to me on the helmet, , if this is the helmet.
new ram helmet mock.jpg

looks like an oringina ad campaign, now with pulp!

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 weeks ago

aeneas1 wrote:looks like an oringina ad campaign, now with pulp!

How 'bout them LA MOONERS ?
moon.jpg

or them LA GOATS ? Baaaad.
Baby goats.jpg

Please pardon the MS Paint attempt. No PS available.

by aeneas1
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

both match the horns they try squeeze on the sleeves. :shock2:

by Kid Charlamagne
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Looks like they’re trying to give it some depth with different colors and shading, not sure they got there, but I don’t hate the idea. If done right it could be cool.

by BobCarl
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:count me with the others who aren't a fan of the look,

I agree.

The new logo seems to fit the era of what would have been "hip" in 2001-2005 era.

I get the idea of a new stadium and the next page of Rams history.

This seems to be a step away from the great logo/image representing the foundation of the Rams.

Will the next logo do away with the horns?

by LARams_1963
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:call me a nutjob, but when did this become an ok thing, having the bottom of the horn not curl up? it's shown in the helmet concept below, and it's the same thing with the new ram head logo, me no like!

01.png

a01.png
This is the EXACT issue I have with the logo and this possible helmet. Horns do NOT curl enough.

by AvengerRam
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:Yeah, he also said "Don't worry, the new logo is not the one that was leaked". I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

That’s not actually what he said. He said the hat that would be given away during the telethon would not be the one that leaked.

• 4 / 6
52 posts Apr 19 2024