1331 posts
  • 1 / 134
 by DirtyFacedKid
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   664  
United States of America   El Segundo
Veteran

NBA released a memo that teams should be prepared to potentially play to empty arenas with only key staff present due to COVID19 concerns.

This is a concern I have with the new stadium opening up. Not concerned about the virus but, impacts related to mandates from Gov agencies as a response.

We're living in odd times right now.

by snackdaddy
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6480  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

DirtyFacedKid wrote:NBA released a memo that teams should be prepared to potentially play to empty arenas with only key staff present due to COVID19 concerns.

This is a concern I have with the new stadium opening up. Not concerned about the virus but, impacts related to mandates from Gov agencies as a response.

We're living in odd times right now.

I remember a lot of concerns over the years regarding viruses and other things like MRSA. But I don't recall the level of concern this high. I have to wonder if it really is more serious than the others or if its just more saturation of news.

Other flu viruses have killed many people over the years. Primarily due to health, age, compromised immune systems, etc. From what I'm hearing about this strain, its pretty much the same. If you're relatively healthy you'll get sick but won't die. I feel like the sensationalist news outlets are making it seem worse than any other.

by dieterbrock
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11562  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I remember a lot of concerns over the years regarding viruses and other things like MRSA. But I don't recall the level of concern this high. I have to wonder if it really is more serious than the others or if its just more saturation of news.

Other flu viruses have killed many people over the years. Primarily due to health, age, compromised immune systems, etc. From what I'm hearing about this strain, its pretty much the same. If you're relatively healthy you'll get sick but won't die. I feel like the sensationalist news outlets are making it seem worse than any other.

Well no bird flu, Ebola, mrsa etc has had the global effect on the financial markets like this has. So I think whether connected or not I think the financial Armageddon adds to the sensationalism

by azramsfan93
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   640  
United States of America   Arizona
Veteran

dieterbrock wrote:Well no bird flu, Ebola, mrsa etc has had the global effect on the financial markets like this has. So I think whether connected or not I think the financial Armageddon adds to the sensationalism

One could make a strong case that the inverse is true:

The sensationalism adds to the financial Armageddon.

The mortality rate of SARS was nearly 10%, and the avian flu was about 60%. Those were much more worrisome, but less useful to the news media.

by St. Loser Fan
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4141  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

azramsfan93 wrote:One could make a strong case that the inverse is true:

The sensationalism adds to the financial Armageddon.

The mortality rate of SARS was nearly 10%, and the avian flu was about 60%. Those were much more worrisome, but less useful to the news media.

I don’t want to touch the political third rail and also believe this is a lot of media hype. The below 2% fatality rate for those under 50 isn’t anything to shut America down for.

BUT the 10-20% fatality rate for those over 70 years old is very concerning. I have parents nearing 80 and both with compromised respiratory systems. I’m really worried about them.

by TomSlick
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2220  
Italy   2 years to register a car with DMV then they typo the wrong model year on the pink slip. Son-of-a..
Pro Bowl

Put me in the camp of media over-hype. Shameful.

They keep touting the growing numbers, yet fail to acknowledge the vast majority have recovered and moved on with their lives, yet they are still being counted. As for the death rate, impossible to take a gander at considering many people may have had it, never knew it, and got better.

As for financial markets, the market has had a great run, overdue for a correction. The virus media hype may have been a catalyst for the correction, but a correction was coming as that is a normal scrubbing process to weeding out the nervous Nellies. Personally, I'll be dumping in some more cash into the market when I feel the correction is done. Buy on the dips.

by dieterbrock
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11562  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

TomSlick wrote:Put me in the camp of media over-hype. Shameful.

They keep touting the growing numbers, yet fail to acknowledge the vast majority have recovered and moved on with their lives, yet they are still being counted. As for the death rate, impossible to take a gander at considering many people may have had it, never knew it, and got better.

As for financial markets, the market has had a great run, overdue for a correction. The virus media hype may have been a catalyst for the correction, but a correction was coming as that is a normal scrubbing process to weeding out the nervous Nellies. Personally, I'll be dumping in some more cash into the market when I feel the correction is done. Buy on the dips.

This
All of it

by moklerman
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   5911  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

You guys have restored my faith in humanity. I was just in a big argument with someone online about this and it went like you might expect. I said much the same thing regarding how relatively speaking, even the regular flu is much more widely deadly and that the media was being somewhat sensationalist and irresponsible in how they were reporting.

Very aggravating.

by R4L
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1077  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Anyone read the book the stand? A Stephen King end of the world novel where the government created a virus called captain trips that killed 95% of the population. Great book

• 1 / 134
1331 posts Apr 03 2020