CLOSE
32 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by Dick84
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4993  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Superstar

BobCarl wrote:I don't have a preference, as I believe that AD is the best ever in a 3-4 or 4-3. The 3-4 pretty much cuts down on the glamour of sack stats .. (which the untrained eye translates into poor performance).

I'm happy as long as the supporting cast fits the scheme.

20+ sacks last year. I don’t understand how it cuts down on “glamour stats”.

by BobCarl
2 months ago
 Total posts:   3242  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:20+ sacks last year. I don’t understand how it cuts down on “glamour stats”.
and how many this year?

by FredsDryer
2 months ago
 Total posts:   52  
United States of America   West Covina Native living in Wa State
Practice Squad

BobCarl wrote:Yes, but does the chicken come first or does the egg? Do we work the scheme around the LBs or do you acquire the LBs to fit the scheme?

GREAT question for people that get paid ridiculous amounts of money to watch a lot of film and do their best with the talent they are provided. It seems to me that all defensive wizards bring their system with them no matter where they go because they want to be able to implement it consistently. Teams have changed their defense in the past to the talent but not any of the guru-legend-bruce-lee-jedi D coordinators.

by safer
2 months ago
 Total posts:   739  
Veteran

Look how the Ravens were smart enough to taylor their O to maximize Lamar's talent. That's a coach smart enough to realize he has a generational guy who is elite. Harbaugh runs an entirely different scheme than he did just last year with slow footed Flacco.
Wade comes here and sticks with his 3-4 D (which is not nearly as effective as his past D's were). I like Wade..........but he is no longer the defensive guru he once was.
Aaron is THE best D tackle to ever play this game....we have been very inconsistent on D...and we are not an elite rush D to boot.
I say, change it up! Go Rams!!
JMHO

by /zn/
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4806  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

safer wrote:Look how the Ravens were smart enough to taylor their O to maximize Lamar's talent. That's a coach smart enough to realize he has a generational guy who is elite. Harbaugh runs an entirely different scheme than he did just last year with slow footed Flacco.
Wade comes here and sticks with his 3-4 D (which is not nearly as effective as his past D's were). I like Wade..........but he is no longer the defensive guru he once was.
Aaron is THE best D tackle to ever play this game....we have been very inconsistent on D...and we are not an elite rush D to boot.
I say, change it up! Go Rams!!
JMHO

THe Rams HAVE maximized AD's talent.

He plays a 3-tech. He did it in a 3/4 and in a 4/3. Nothing changes for him. In the 4/3 he played 3-tech between an NT and a 3-point DE. In the 3/4 he plays 3-5 tech between an NT and a stand-up end. Same difference, except you can use more deception with the 3/4.

by BobCarl
2 months ago
 Total posts:   3242  
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:In. The. Same. Scheme.

yes same scheme ... well sort of ... Donald doesn't have the same people around him this year as he did last year. 20 sacks is glitzy yes ... but his sack production isn't glamorous this year.

I find it glamorous that Donald is double teamed on every play. I'd be curious to know how many double teams this year vs last year.

I don't think that Donald's play has gone down ... sacks don't tell the story

by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6270  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Donald's the only DT in the top ten. He'll end up double digits in sacks again. Probably after tonight. That's pretty darn good. But a down year by his standards. Remember when people thought Suh's ten sacks his rookie year was really good for a DT? Donald's gonna have double digit sacks for the 4th time.

• 3 / 4
32 posts Feb 25 2020