CLOSE
26 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by Dick84
4 days ago
 Total posts:   4236  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Brockers has been a better player. He was good at DE when they moved him there in 2017. They say he was banged up in 2018 and it seems he was at some point in game 1 this year too.

Having said that yeah I can see them moving on next year. If nothing else it's starting to look like he gets banged up too much.

However replacing him next year means a high draft pick, right? Because you can't count on a lower picked rookie to handle that position. Maybe a free agent but you have to think that would cost...at a time when they also have to think about paying a few of their own FAs. So a rookie would be better that way.

As for this week, if he can't play, who takes his place? IMO probably Fox. Who is a little light for base 3/4 DE but basically, that's who they have. I dunno...if he plays and can handle the position maybe that fixes things for next year too...though he's also a free agent after the season. Maybe it's just time to draft a couple of DL high.

That's why I floated the Gaines/Joseph thing..
I think first down.. if it's not the Gaines/Noteboom thing... we see Smart in there. Just more built for run-D.. Fox rotating in a bunch.

Yup.. gonna have to use at least a second rounder, imo, on a Dline guy to replace Brockers. Probably have to bring in a cheap vet as well.

by /zn/
3 days ago
 Total posts:   4509  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:That's why I floated the Gaines/Joseph thing..
I think first down.. if it's not the Gaines/Noteboom thing... we see Smart in there. Just more built for run-D.. Fox rotating in a bunch.

Yup.. gonna have to use at least a second rounder, imo, on a Dline guy to replace Brockers. Probably have to bring in a cheap vet as well.

My hesitation there is the idea of a 6'1 DE in a 3/4 base. And that's going against one of the 2-3 best ROTs in the league, one of the few good ones who can actually play LOT. This may be a moot point since Ramcyzk shut out Watt. So they can beat the Saints but not by dominating the right side of their OL. 8-) Which therefore...is not going to be the plan. Whoever plays left DE is probably going just be a sacrificed figure trying to create space for Matthews.

Anyway Saints aside, this wasn't supposed to be what happened...just putting the obvious down in black and white, but, Franklin-Myers was supposed to take the next step. It was supposed to be Brockers doing better, backed up by F-M. My guess based on reading various things is that F-M added weight to be a more traditional 3/4 DE and the result was he wasn't as athletic, and maybe even got discouraged. He was immediately picked up by a 4/3 team and probably really is more of a (left-side) 4/3 DE.

I've heard that Fox added some weight too (deliberately) so who knows about that.

Yeah 2nd rounder or even a 1st rounder maybe. Just speculating but I like their chances of getting CBs lower in the rounds better than getting a functioning rookie DE lower down.

by PARAM
3 days ago
 Total posts:   3754  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

Jonathan Franklin Myers seemed like a possible replacement for Brockers but he's with the Jets now IIRC.

by max
3 days ago
 Total posts:   3788  
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Maybe a free agent but you have to think that would cost...at a time when they also have to think about paying a few of their own FAs. So a rookie would be better that way.

How much did the Lions pay for Snacks?

by ramsrams
3 days ago
 Total posts:   533  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Veteran

The writing is on the wall, I’m afraid.

Brockers had a great run as a 4-3 nose, and played very well as a 5 teque a couple of years ago. Stout vs. the run, and knocked the odd pass down at the line. Seems to be a good teammate. Really appreciate him.

Ironic that now that the Rams seem to be getting a little bit of a LB crew together that the DL is a concern.

They were not good on Sunday. Couldn’t stop the run or rush the passer.

For now, I’m hoping Brockers heals up and plays.

by Dick84
3 days ago
Italy   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Fox is listed at 275... not terrible.. but a little light. He’s shown some fight, for sure.
Smart is short, but closer to 300. I think rotating him in on 1st is a good idea.

I’m watching the Dline for in-season moves. I have serious concerns about running mediocre NTs next to a beat up Brockers. This would be the glaring issue on an otherwise solid looking D, IMO.

by /zn/
3 days ago
 Total posts:   4509  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

Lindsey [email protected]
Sean McVay says Clay Matthews (back) and Michael Brockers (shoulder) are probable to play Sunday. Eric Weddle (Concussion) has been cleared. McVay says he gave Todd Gurley a rest day.

by Dick84
3 days ago
Italy   LA Coliseum
Superstar

by snackdaddy
3 days ago
 Total posts:   5217  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

max wrote:How much did the Lions pay for Snacks?

Depends on what kind of snacks. 8-)

by dieterbrock
3 days ago
 Total posts:   10375  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

max wrote:How much did the Lions pay for Snacks?

Trade wise? It only cost them a 5th rounder. Insane. Giants gave him away.
What did it cost Detroit to extend him? I think 11 or 12 mill for 1 year

• 2 / 3
26 posts Sep 17 2019