71 posts
  • 1 / 8
 by Indrid Cold
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Thanks for posting that!

And after listening and watching that nearly half hour, I don't need to see, read, or discuss a single thing until Sept 8. Make those plans for Miami!

(Although I sure would like to see the All 22 of that 6th play in the SB...)

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dug this mcvay comment:

even though it didn't end the way we wanted it to, there's a real appreciation for what occurred, it's the best season i've ever been a part of since i've been a coach in the nfl... people say it's demoralizing to lose the super bowl, well it's a lot more demoralizing not to be in it, i've seen both sides of that spectrum.

there seems to be a prevailing notion that if you lose you've failed, you should beat yourself up, you're expected to beat yourself up, and if you don't it means you don't care enough, it's such nonsense... the rams had a helluva 2018 season (and they had a helluva 2001 season), losing those super bowls was of course disappointing, but it certainly didn't diminsh the great seasons the rams had, not as far as i'm concerned, they were friggin' great rides!

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Indrid Cold wrote:Thanks for posting that!

And after listening and watching that nearly half hour, I don't need to see, read, or discuss a single thing until Sept 8. Make those plans for Miami!

Maybe A1 can posted it...

I have All 22, and I tried extracting that video play on Streamables, but for some reason its not working for me...

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong,
A1 can you give me some pointers?

Any way, that play, it looks like a cover four on defense, Cooks does a Go route between the CB and Safety, about 25yds down from LOS,,,
and Goff rolls to his left... and passes to Reynolds

Now based off the play,,,, I don't see Goff throwing that deep going to his left... because he was in a awkward position....

so they must of been talking about before the play was snap, and they changed the play...

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I liked when he talk about Dick Vermeil being a mentor of his,,,

McVay is so humble...

We are very lucky to have him,,,

I see both McVay and Goff growing together, being on the winning side of each season for years to come...

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Good stuff. I like conversational McVay, comes across much more genuine than in press conferences. It was awesome.

To be cynical, a lot of what he said sounded like, "i didn't do a good enough job to prepare the players to successfully execute my awesome play." I know that's not quite fair but this is part of what he means by holding himself accountable. And, btw, i'm totally fine with it.

I can't imagine losing the SB in only your 2nd year would be crushing or a setback. And i especially can't imagine it with McVay. These young Rams have the advantage of taking a SB loss as encouragement, genuinely something to build on.

by SWAdude
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Yeah, I too really appreciate the share. Quick 27 minutes for me this late at night.

What fan of the other 31 teams in the NFL who watched this wouldn’t want Sean to be their HC right now.

We are so fortunate as LA Rams fans. Surreal.

GO RAMS!!!

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:Although I sure would like to see the All 22 of that 6th play in the SB...

here it is, the 6th offensive play of the game - in the interview king king says "...you referenced a play that i went and looked at that i thought was a perfect example of what you were talking about , maybe being more aggressive... the sixth play of the game, when you took the short throw to woods when you had brandin cooks open .."

a couple of things:

a) king described it as a short throw to woods, but woods was well beyond 15 yards of the line of scrimmage so i wouldn't exactly call it a short throw, king probably meant underneath to woods, not short.

b) goff clearly wanted to take the shot deep to cooks on the play, he was his first look, but protection broke down and instead goff desperately tried to get it to woods.

as a result, i'm not sure how this play is an example of mcvay not being as aggressive as he would have liked?

anyway, it was just a very rough day for the rams offense, the pats defense came to play and set the tone early:

the first rams pass of the day, goff (and mcvay) expected reynolds to be open underneath on the roll out but instead reynolds got blown up when running his route, got dropped on his ass:

the second rams pass of the game, long crossing route, goff with quick pressure in his face as sullivan missed the stunt, reynolds can hear footsteps after just getting blown up and flat-out drops the pass:

again, the play that king referenced:

in short, goff was pressured and hit all day as the pats did a great job taking away mcvay's bread and butter, long developing crossing routes out of close bunched formations.

by Kid Charlamagne
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Indrid Cold wrote:Thanks for posting that!

Me too, King seemed to have zeroed in on that play as a potential turning point of the game, and was hoping McVay would give him some analysis as to what mistakes were made. McVay had no interest in doing that I guess and didn’t seem to believe that it was the play that could’ve changed the game. That sounds like a good story that King could package and put out there but it sounds like McVay and Goff have gone over the mistakes they both made and filed it away for next time. It would’ve been great if McVay had said this is the defense they were in and this is what we should’ve done, but he’s not going to do the defenses job for them so he talked big picture.
Still interesting though.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

What’s not talked about is what MJD made a big deal about on Dameshek podcast. MJD said the big issue was Sullivan. His legs were done and the Pats took advantage of him by bull rushing him and getting into a Goff’s face. He said the Rams put Allen in at center during the game and he did better. I never knew that.

MJD also said the Rams love Allen’s physicality, he's a wrestler who won’t get pushed back, physically he’s better than Sullivan but Sullivan is smarter so now there’s more on Goff to make protection calls.

• 1 / 8
71 posts Apr 18 2024