350 posts
  • 32 / 35
 by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:The wasted at bats is what turned that game last night, the defensive plays were the topper.
They had so many chances to score runs in that game and like most others they failed miserably.
They were a better team when they had all the guys on the IL, because the replacement players put the ball in play.
Sánchez, Didi, encarnacion, Stanton should all walk home

What bothered me more than anything that happened last night was LeMahieu (right after the Reddick play) and Didi (with the bases loaded in the 3rd) swinging at a first pitch breaking ball and grounding out weakly to end promising innings.

At least Sanchez had an rbi single last night but on the other 3 walking home I agree.

The Yankees will be back next year and in the hunt for a World Series win again. Will they fail? Pessimists will predict that right now but lets see what they do in the off season.

Goodbye to the grounded parrot. Goodbye to CC. Goodbye to Didi? Maybe but I hope not. Goodbye to Stanton? It would be great. Goodbye to JA Happ? Hopefully.

A full season from Seve? A full season from Judge? A full season from Betances? Hello to 1 stud starter? Hopefully. One thing is for sure. When the Yankees lose in the postseason, the off season is always interesting.

One last thing.......LET'S GO RAMS!!!!!!

by Gareth
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:On Houston "clearly" being the superior team, I don't buy it. The better team based off of better starting pitching, yes. "Clearly superior", no. Those were the two teams most expected to play in the LCS and it took 2 great plays to keep it from being a toss up, anything can happen game 7.

Anything can happen? Sure.

Toss up? No way. Astros would have been heavily favored in game seven.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Anything can happen? Sure.

Toss up? No way. Astros would have been heavily favored in game seven.

There is a difference between "favored" and "anything can happen in a game 7". I couldn't give a fook who was favored....get to game 7 and it's a toss up....win or go home....both teams. But they didn't get it there so it doesn't matter.

by Gareth
4 years 6 months ago
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:There is a difference between "favored" and "anything can happen in a game 7". I couldn't give a fook who was favored....get to game 7 and it's a toss up....win or go home....both teams. But they didn't get it there so it doesn't matter.

To me, “tossup” implies pretty much 50-50. And Gerrit Cole pitching at home against the Yankees is not 50-50.

Just really tough to beat a team with Verlander and Cole in a series.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:To me, “tossup” implies pretty much 50-50. And Gerrit Cole pitching at home against the Yankees is not 50-50.

Just really tough to beat a team with Verlander and Cole in a series.

The Orioles were favored over the 69 Mets
The Rams were favored over the 01 Patriots
Heavily
Etc.
Etc.

In a game 7, it doesn't matter who's favored, who's pitching, who's hitting. The game 7 still has to be played. And when both teams are in a must win game, anything can happen. But I'm not going to argue the point further since the series is over.

by Gareth
4 years 6 months ago
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:The Orioles were favored over the 69 Mets
The Rams were favored over the 01 Patriots
Heavily
Etc.
Etc.

In a game 7, it doesn't matter who's favored, who's pitching, who's hitting. The game 7 still has to be played. And when both teams are in a must win game, anything can happen. But I'm not going to argue the point further since the series is over.

It doesn’t matter who’s pitching? You can’t really believe that.

I suggest in any game 7 you bet the underdog. You can get some really good odds sometimes on games that you think are 50/50.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:It doesn’t matter who’s pitching? You can’t really believe that.

I suggest in any game 7 you bet the underdog. You can get some really good odds sometimes on games that you think are 50/50.

Houston would have been heavily favored, although Cole would have been pitching on short rest and I’m not sure how effective he would have been.
Is what it is.

by Gareth
4 years 6 months ago
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:Houston would have been heavily favored, although Cole would have been pitching on short rest and I’m not sure how effective he would have been.
Is what it is.

Didn’t Cole pitch Tuesday? That means if there was a game 7 today (Sunday) he would have been pitching on normal rest.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Didn’t Cole pitch Tuesday? That means if there was a game 7 today (Sunday) he would have been pitching on normal rest.

Lol. Of course that’s correct. Losing the travel day had my math all screwed up.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Lol. Of course that’s correct. Losing the travel day had my math all screwed up.

How about that? On extra rest in a huge game (we gotta admit game 1 of the World Series is huge any year), he gives up 5 runs in 5 IP on 7 hits (2 homers) with a walk and 4 K's. And it took a great play by Correa to prevent a 6th run. By my count that's a 1.60 Whip and a 9.00 ERA. So he is human after all, despite being favored in any game he's pitched in the last 5 months. Wow! There wasn't a 1-2-3 inning by either pitcher until Scherzer did it in the 5th. I'm not sure I want the Yankees paying Cole huge jack next year. ;) :D

EDIT: Okay so his numbers improved. 7 IP 8 H 1 BB 6 K 1.29 Whip. 6.43 ERA. But really off what was expected of him. Favored is one thing. Getting it done is completely different.

• 32 / 35
350 posts Apr 25 2024