350 posts
  • 23 / 35
 by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Wow!!! Blink your eyes for a minute and the Yankees have a 10 game lead in the division, best record in baseball. And furthermore in the Wild Card race, Tampa and Boston are both on the outside looking in with Oakland and Cleveland at 1 - 2. I'm not sure all that will hold up the rest of the way but it beats being 10 games behind. I know it's been said many times but it can't be overstated, the injuries they have over come to lead all of MLB. I can't think of another team who has experienced as many injuries to as many "key" players and still held a lead of 10 games.

Hicks is getting hot (.345 his last 15 games with 4 homers and 10 rbi).
Judge is hot (.354 his last 19 games with 6 homers and 14 rbi).
Is Encarnacion getting hot? .300 with 4 homers and 14 rbi his last 9 games.
Didi needs to get on track.

And since the all star break the Yankees are 7-2 while Boston is 5-4 and Tampa 4-6. Good news for NYY is that after today, Boston and Tampa face off 6 times in the next 10 games so they could expand their lead in the East with a good run. Boston also plays the Yankees 4 times during that stretch.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Looks like we're still on pace for a Dodgers/Yankees World Series? :D

On another note I thought for sure Madison Bumgarner was going to the Yankees. But now the Giants are the hottest team in baseball and right in the thick of things. Would a team playing so well and in contention trade away their ace? Basically surrendering the season by doing that?

Although I do love the situation the Giants are in. Keep him and maybe they make a wild card run but lose him to free agency. Then they get nothing for him. Trade him and basically stick a dagger in the fans who have hopes for a playoff run after such a terrible start. A win win for this Dodger fan/Giant hater. Especially if they keep him and don't make the playoffs. 8-)

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Giants aren’t trading Bum now that they have a shot. Yankees outsmarted themselves. Desperately need starting pitching. Could have had Keuchel but they passed for, they passed for umm....
gimme a minute I’ll think of it...

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Lets hope they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get some pitching help here.
My dream scenario is they unload multiple top player/prospect and end up with Robbie Ray and Zach Grienke....

A man can dream.

I'd take Ray alone though

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Lets hope they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get some pitching help here.
My dream scenario is they unload multiple top player/prospect and end up with Robbie Ray and Zach Grienke....

A man can dream.

I'd take Ray alone though

Well they did nothing, save picking up a minor league pitcher. I guess they're expecting Severino to make an impact. I also think it says a lot about their confidence in Domingo German and their bullpen. My hope is they bring up Deive Garcia in late August, early September to see what he has against ML hitting.

We'll see if standing pat was a good move. Now bring Clint Frazier back up to the big club.

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Cashman failed. Plain and simple.

Boston coming in for 4, split basically wraps up the division.

I think we'll have to wait and see if he failed. Many contenders bring in guys who they believe are going to get them over the hump and make them Champions. Considering the number of contenders who do that each year, many more fail than succeed. I don't disagree we needed starting pitching badly but if they somehow end up playing for the Championship and still have their minor league system loaded, it would be a coup. If they win it all, it might set them up for another historic run.

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I think we'll have to wait and see if he failed. Many contenders bring in guys who they believe are going to get them over the hump and make them Champions. Considering the number of contenders who do that each year, many more fail than succeed. I don't disagree we needed starting pitching badly but if they somehow end up playing for the Championship and still have their minor league system loaded, it would be a coup. If they win it all, it might set them up for another historic run.

Well, they’ve made it clear they were deficient in pitching and how important it was to improve it.
They added nothing while other teams did. It’s failure plain and simple.
Are they good enough to win without? I sure hope so. But it’s hard to be confident the way the pitching has been lately, even the bullpen is struggling.
So here we go, in to the stretch run. Hopefully we get healthy at some point, can’t believe we are dealing with more injuries
WS or bust

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Yankees are pretty much a lock for playoffs. Dodgers too. But question is, will their lack of acquiring needed help cost them in October? Astros got Greinke. Giving them even more pitching depth, which was pretty good before the trade. Astros have to be considered favorites in the AL.

• 23 / 35
350 posts Apr 29 2024