350 posts
  • 21 / 35
 by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Yanks need to get Bumgarner.
He’s the only guy worth trading Frazier for. Since his no trade includes the Yankees, they’d have to sign him to an extension for him to waive it.
Worth the risk imo.

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Yanks need to get Bumgarner.
He’s the only guy worth trading Frazier for. Since his no trade includes the Yankees, they’d have to sign him to an extension for him to waive it.
Worth the risk imo.

I was at a picnic last Saturday, all native New Yorkers. The host, my good friend is the only Mets fan. To a man, every guy (and gal) I talked to said the same thing. "Get Bumgarner."

But one guy put it best: "It's not that he's going to help them get to the postseason. It's once they get there (and they will), he's a great postseason pitcher."

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Man the Yankees go extra innings again. So far in this series, they've scored 7 runs in the first 9 innings of two games and 9 runs in a total of 3 extra innings. Eight and a half game lead over Tampa (10 in the loss column) while Boston will remain at -11 (12 in the L column) if they hold on to beat the Tigers (currently leading 6-5 going into the 7th).

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

The Yankees have an outside chance to take a double digit lead into the All Star break. It would be the first time in 21 years (1998). Here's a list of where they stood at the break since Torre became manager.

1996 (up 6)*
1997 (7 GB)
1998 (up 11)*
1999 (up 4)*
2000 (tied)*
2001 (up 1.5)+
2002 (up 2)
2003 (up 2)+
2004 (up 7)
2005 (2.5 GB)
2006 (3 GB)
2007 (9.5 GB)
2008 (6 GB)
2009 (3 GB)*
2010 (up 2)
2011 (1 GB)
2012 (up 7)
2013 (6 GB)
2014 (5 GB)
2015 (up 3.5)
2016 (7.5 GB)
2017 (3.5 GB)
2018 (4.5 GB)
2019 (up ?)

* = won WS
+ = lost WS

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Well so much for the double digit lead....

Yeah but still the best since 2012 and if we simply look at the loss column, the best since 1998.

But what a series!!! All 1 run games. Three of the four won in extra innings or the 9th inning. And this is the advantage of having a lead in the division when playing division foes. 4 more games off the docket and Tampa is no closer than they were before the series.

Coming out of the break they play 26 of 34 against the East and they are 29-9 in the division. When those 34 are done there will be just 40 games remaining and if they can maintain or increase their lead over TBay and Boston during those 34, it'll be extremely tough for the Rays and Red Sox to catch up in the last 40.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Yankees are actually a game worse than they were last year after 88 games, (58-30 last year) and a total reversal of fortune pertaining to playing the Rays.
The Yankees are a heck of a lot of fun to watch, that's for sure but the team has warts.
Bullpen has been shaky and no starter stands out as a guy you want the ball in his hand come playoff time. In their last 13 games, the starter only was gotten the W 2 times out of 9 wins. Not a very good trend.
Hopefully Pax will build off of yesterday's performance, (not holding my breath) and German can stay healthy and not get put on a pitch count. Tank will be Tank, I wont worry about him until the temps cool off and his sinker is back (100% confident in this)
I'd love them to DFA that waste of space Encarnacion and let Frazier take his spot, which he rightly deserves

by Horny Mcbae
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Severino doesn't even seem close, WTF. Betances either. Double WTF. If we get those 2 back and get them going before the playoffs we don't really need to trade for a starting pitcher (linked with Wheeler of the Mets and Stroman right now). Only if we know those 2 are coming back which is up in the air at the moment. If we know Severino isn't pitching this season then you have to go out and get a pitcher or we'll lose in the ALCS or even the ALDS against Houston.

Oh and how's Encarnacion doing recently?

Deiter I gotta bone to pick with you. Here I am giving executive of the year to cash for all these amazing signings and trades and you want him fired if we don't win it all this season?

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Deiter I gotta bone to pick with you. Here I am giving executive of the year to cash for all these amazing signings and trades and you want him fired if we don't win it all this season?

I think Cashman is highly over rated and needs to win already. 1 WS in 19 years is not good enough with the financial advantages he has had at his disposal.
This team, as fun as it is to watch, has its issues come playoff time. Need strong SP and not rely on long ball.

Mediocre 5 inning starters, a bullpen that walks too many guys and may be wearing out and a high K rate is not going to win in the Playoffs.

Severino isn't back until late August at best, and nobody knows how he'll pitch when/if he does.

They need a starter, period.

What Cash gives us is excused why we didn't get this guy or that guy, and we end up with Sonny Gray or Lance Lynn...

by Horny Mcbae
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:I think Cashman is highly over rated and needs to win already. 1 WS in 19 years is not good enough with the financial advantages he has had at his disposal.
This team, as fun as it is to watch, has its issues come playoff time. Need strong SP and not rely on long ball.

Mediocre 5 inning starters, a bullpen that walks too many guys and may be wearing out and a high K rate is not going to win in the Playoffs.

Severino isn't back until late August at best, and nobody knows how he'll pitch when/if he does.

They need a starter, period.

What Cash gives us is excused why we didn't get this guy or that guy, and we end up with Sonny Gray or Lance Lynn...

I think you need view Cashman with the lens of who the owner is/was. When it was The Boss Cashman operated in a whole different way. Since it's been the son who minimized those financial advantages you mentioned, he has literally changed himself into a different GM and then came the analytics which he has totally embraced. So with what he was told by Hal and the direction he (and Hal) wanted to go in regarding analytics I think he has done very very well to get the club to where it is today. Literally building it up to where we are today.

Sure nobody bats a .1000 but he's done some eye opening deals. Shown restraint where fans really wouldn't have. Graduated a core of home grown players who are all mega stars now and we are in contention for the last 2-3 season again and will be for the forseeable future.

I know its world series or bust but I don't think Cashman is the one holding us back from it.

• 21 / 35
350 posts Apr 16 2024