350 posts
  • 1 / 35
 by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

OK first thing's first. Machado or Harper?

Machado makes more sense but Harper is a better player in my opinion.

Secondly........ we got Paxton and Happ is back. What do you think? We didn't wanna do 6 yrs with Corbin who was the prize of free agency pitching. I kinda understand but i feel like its been a meh off season addressing our most important need.

by dieterbrock
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

So Manny had his visit yesterday, interesting to see if a contract arises today.
I think that Harper is a bigger “need” from a LH big bat perspective, but really doesn’t have a spot.
Machado at least fills a spot while Didi is out.
Meh. Machado if signed, should be the full time 3B because he’s a gold Glover there

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
Pro Bowl

I did not understand the hurry to sign Gardner. They did it on day 1 or 2 I think. Why do they count Gardner and Ellsbury as 2 of the 6 OF options. Do they think Clint Frazier is lights out there? The way Cash has brushed aside Harper is weird. Judge - Hicks - Gardner - Stanton - Clint. We can't make room for Harper there? Especially when he can rotate at the DH with Stanton and Gardner surely should NEVER be an everyday player for us now. His hitting is a negative.

The way I see it is they have Judge and Hicks and then Clint is a maybe. So that's 2.5 outfielders. Wtf Cash. Why not Harper? Especially when we chose not to spend big on Corbin.

Although I saw what Cutch signed for and I am thinking if Gardy was still sitting out there he would ask for more. Sheeeesshh.

If we sign Machado (which I think is a done deal) then whats the next move? Trade Andujar when his value is at its highest and replenish the farm? Or package Gray + Andujar + prospect to get a starting pitcher. Because Cash has made it abundantly clear how much he loves Didi and how we are gonna sign him to an extension. That leaves Andujar with no position. Unless we think he can play 1st in case the Voit + Bird thing doesn't work there (which very well might happen).

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Hal is a cheap SOB. First he claims to be resetting the Luxury tax. Then after he accomplishes that he says it makes no sense to give other teams money so they can use it against us.

Now two of the best young free agents to hit the market in years become available and he wants to lowball one and won't offer the other. I can forgive them for Corbin, but would have liked to see them land Carrasco or Kluber. Or Syndegard. The Sox can hit Happ and I think they'll hit Paxton too. They don't sweat fastball heavy pitchers. Corbin was a better matchup.

So Hal seems to have decided that he likes keeping his money. Thing is the Yankees made a $ 640 profit in 2017. He can afford to go over the cap a bit.

I want George back.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
Pro Bowl

To be fair the line about "giving other teams money to beat us" has been out there for many years now. Its not something he said for the first time after we reset the tax last year. I am not bothered by measured spending. We don't need to go crazy with 10yr deals or 6 yr deals for pitchers in their 30s. They have always bit us in the ass. I am already concerned about Stanton's but I have a sneaky suspicion that we might trade him way before his deal becomes a problem. We have the luxury of having blue chip players come up from the farm.

Anyway, its Hal's team and he has the right to put as much money as he wants into it. The good thing is that lets say we don't do well (WS at least) this season...….. the pressure would be so immense to spend that he'll have to no matter what.

re Machado: He is a young free agent as compared to others because he was so young when he came up so going a bit long on the contract isn't that big of a deal. If I was Machado I would take a shorter contract now for more money per year obviously and then come up to free agency again when he is in his mid 30s and rake a big contract again. So instead of signing a 10yr deal now with locked in rates (even tho it goes up every year) you take more money for 6 years and then sign another 4-5 contract at the rate 6 yrs from now.

I personally would have signed Harper with my eyes closed. Especially since we didn't give that money to Corbin. I am assuming Cash has a plan. I trust in him. I really do. I just don't count Gardy and Ellsbury as outfield options even tho they are on the books. Stanton is part time there. So leaves us with Judge - Hicks and Frazier who is a huge question mark still.

Sign Harper and shore up the outfield. If Clint shows great poduction as the first backup then he can be traded for a pitcher. I feel like with Machado (who in my opinion is the better player) is not AS GOOD a fit as Harper. We are gonna sign Didi thats for sure so that leaves 3B for Manny and we do have options there without Manny. Who says Miggy's not going to improve his defense there. We just need him to be average and his bat makes up for the rest.

Anyway..... like i said i trust Cash. Lets see what happens in the next few days. Once Manny signs....... where ever we will see movement.

Oh and we signed Tulo. Lol.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
Pro Bowl

Also after last season if someone told you...………… we are bringing the entire offense back as is (with minor adjustments like McCutcheon out Frazier in etc) and the only bolstered the pitching with top end guys like Corbin and Paxton or Syndegaard would you be happy with that?

Scoring wasn't our problem last season. Just because Machado and Harper are out there should we be so desperate to sign them? Just a question?

by dieterbrock
5 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Anyway..... like i said i trust Cash. Lets see what happens in the next few days. Once Manny signs....... where ever we will see movement.

Oh and we signed Tulo. Lol.

Manny will sign in the next few days, and then we will see what happens next. I love Andujar but cant help from believing he will be used to get another starter.
I didn't want Corbin, so I don't know who has been missed yet.
I agree that Harper is the bat we need, but Stanton is the LF, at least for 100 games.
Who knows, maybe Cash can pull off a Stanton to the Dodgers trade, they need RH bats, are over loaded from the LH side. Stanton is a better fit there, Harper in NY.
Fireworks should be popping soon, I hear that Machado deal is done, just working out the particulars

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:Manny will sign in the next few days, and then we will see what happens next. I love Andujar but cant help from believing he will be used to get another starter.
I didn't want Corbin, so I don't know who has been missed yet.
I agree that Harper is the bat we need, but Stanton is the LF, at least for 100 games.
Who knows, maybe Cash can pull off a Stanton to the Dodgers trade, they need RH bats, are over loaded from the LH side. Stanton is a better fit there, Harper in NY.
Fireworks should be popping soon, I hear that Machado deal is done, just working out the particulars

You really didn't want Corbin? Any particular reason? Dude's pitching seems, at least on paper, to be perfect for the ballpark and the division.

So Manny is coming. Nice!!!!! He is an amazing player and if this means adios Miggy………. so be it as long as we get top end talent back.

You know having Judge who is beloved by all is well and good but I have really missed having a guy who everybody hates on the Yankees. I enjoy that a lot. Bring on Manny and bring on the haters. It's gonna be so much fun. Manny seems like he doesn't give a single fcuk too which is what I wished A-Rod was like.

edit: I love your Stanton to Dodgers thing. He will be so big here. The town will go crazy over him and his Hollywood good looks. I

by dieterbrock
5 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:You really didn't want Corbin? Any particular reason? Dude's pitching seems, at least on paper, to be perfect for the ballpark and the division.

So Manny is coming. Nice!!!!! He is an amazing player and if this means adios Miggy………. so be it as long as we get top end talent back.

You know having Judge who is beloved by all is well and good but I have really missed having a guy who everybody hates on the Yankees. I enjoy that a lot. Bring on Manny and bring on the haters. It's gonna be so much fun. Manny seems like he doesn't give a single fcuk too which is what I wished A-Rod was like.

edit: I love your Stanton to Dodgers thing. He will be so big here. The town will go crazy over him and his Hollywood good looks. I

Corbin had one big year, in a contract year. And I'm always wary of the NL pitcher coming to the AL. No designated out in the AL like the NL offers.
And the money it took to sign him? Wowza.... I know its not my money but dayum....
If Manny comes to NY (and when) I hope they just plant him at 3B, don't like moving positions. He's a plus defensive player at 3B. Id rather put a slick fielder like Echeviera at SS and have a wicked good defense.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 3 months ago
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:Corbin had one big year, in a contract year. And I'm always wary of the NL pitcher coming to the AL. No designated out in the AL like the NL offers.
And the money it took to sign him? Wowza.... I know its not my money but dayum....
If Manny comes to NY (and when) I hope they just plant him at 3B, don't like moving positions. He's a plus defensive player at 3B. Id rather put a slick fielder like Echeviera at SS and have a wicked good defense.

I agree about the NL to AL thing for pitchers. Also the contract..... I am not too bothered that we didn't pay. Especially since we got Pax so we've improved the rotation some although not nearly at the level we need to.

Ohhh so you wouldn't play Manny at SS until Didi comes back? Interesting. Hmmmmm…… I would definitely do that. Oh wait you're assuming that Miggy is gone before the season starts? Ohhh.... ya in that case, maybe Echevaria (who is still unsigned right) is a good idea. But if Andujar is here I would certainly play Manny at SS until Didi is healthy.

• 1 / 35
350 posts Apr 16 2024