350 posts
  • 30 / 35
 by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Love Boone, think he’s great. Just don’t like how these games get over managed. Tank is a tremendous post season pitcher. Throw out all the reg season stats when he takes the mound post season.
So he gets pulled after 68 pitches? And almost predictably Houston gets 2 base runners on... it worked out, awesome.
I just hate the trend
Let’s take it to Verlander tonight

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Love Boone, think he’s great. Just don’t like how these games get over managed. Tank is a tremendous post season pitcher. Throw out all the reg season stats when he takes the mound post season.
So he gets pulled after 68 pitches? And almost predictably Houston gets 2 base runners on... it worked out, awesome.
I just hate the trend
Let’s take it to Verlander tonight

Over managed? You'd prefer a Dave Roberts approach? He took Tanaka out for a couple of reasons. He doesn't handle the lineup well the third time through (so there may have well been a couple of baserunners had he stayed in). He's got the best bullpen in baseball. And they all had 4 days off. Why are you worried about a couple of baserunners in a 5-0 game? What trend? They score none through 6 and none in the last three. That trend? I like it. I'd worry about a couple of runs. A couple of baserunners? No.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Over managed? You'd prefer a Dave Roberts approach? He took Tanaka out for a couple of reasons. He doesn't handle the lineup well the third time through (so there may have well been a couple of baserunners had he stayed in). He's got the best bullpen in baseball. And they all had 4 days off. Why are you worried about a couple of baserunners in a 5-0 game? What trend? They score none through 6 and none in the last three. That trend? I like it. I'd worry about a couple of runs. A couple of baserunners? No.

He over managed. 68 pitches, faced the minimum. Ridiculous to pull him.
They won and now he’s rested for the game 5 clincher.

Meanwhile Judge takes Verlander deep and that POS Paxton is already in the showers

Edit-
Green cruising but Boone pulls him because of analytics, and Otto gives up the game tying dinger.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Please rain today out so we can start Tanaka game 4 tomorrow.
Essentially down 3-1 with Verlander getting 1 more start on full rest.
Severino is a stud and will be that Ace some day. Was a ridiculously huge ask of him yesterday.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Crucial game tonight. Yanks don't wanna go down 3-1. That would be too much to ask. 2-2 and its anybody's series. Nationals are going to be able to set up their rotation with the extra time off. But that doesn't mean a big advantage. I remember when the Rockies breezed through the NL playoffs without a loss and waited 9 days. The Redsox came off a hard fought series. Rockies lost their mojo from the long layoff and ended up being swept by the Redsox.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yankees fail again, can’t get a hit when they face good pitching.
Now they’ll lose 3 straight at home. What a joke.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yankees fail again, can’t get a hit when they face good pitching.
Now they’ll lose 3 straight at home. What a joke.

How about that? They stole one. Four hits in the first inning and one from the 2nd through the 8th. Paxton was money. After the top of the first my daughter had the same outlook as you....'here they go again'. But I told her Paxton looked sharp and I don't think he's going to give them any more. He didn't. And though Verlander was money from the 2nd on, they did enough damage in the bottom of the first to win it. Now game 6 is a bullpen game and anything can happen. Put Encarnacion back into the lineup because Stanton looks overmatched. All we can ask now is 'get it to game 7'. A classic pitching duel between Seve and Cole. Don't the odds of Cole having a bad game increase with each game he pitches? Hell even Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson had off days from time to time.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Crucial game tonight. Yanks don't wanna go down 3-1. That would be too much to ask. 2-2 and its anybody's series.

I agreed with you (mentally) when I first read this. And I still agree. However, isn't it a mindset? Had the Yankees won game 4 and then lost last night, Houston would still be up 3-2 and coming off a win. Is that really better (for NYY) than being down 3-1 and winning game 5? I mean the only time winning 3 straight seems insurmountable is when you are 1-3. Win one to get to 2-3 it doesn't seem so bad. Win another to go 3-3 and I gotta believe the pressure switches to the team who was once up 3-1.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

I wish I could say I was trying to jinx but I really thought they had no chance last night. Glad I was wrong and I swear to god I was afraid to come on to RFU because I was expecting a big “I told you so” from you!!! Haha! True story

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I wish I could say I was trying to jinx but I really thought they had no chance last night. Glad I was wrong and I swear to god I was afraid to come on to RFU because I was expecting a big “I told you so” from you!!! Haha! True story

LOL. No "I told you so" because I didn't. Funny thing about game 4 was, just like with Paxton after 1, I told my daughter before the game Tanaka wasn't going to allow less than 3 runs but the Yankees would score enough. They didn't. I just felt, though he had never allowed more than 2 runs in his postseason career (7 games), he was due. Which is why I don't fear a game 7 vs Cole. Sooner or later the guy is going to get raked. Nobody....not Koufax, not Gibson, not Rivera.....goes unscathed forever.

• 30 / 35
350 posts Apr 15 2024