65 posts
  • 4 / 7
 by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

St. Loser Fan wrote:It's still the Lakers house. I thought the current pecking order was Lakers, Kings and then Clippers last.

There might be a pecking order but when the Dingys play their home games there, they cover the Lakers 16 championship banners.
Blasphemy !!!!
Good riddance.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I think it's cool.

Plus with Ballmer and Kroenke on board, seems like we'll get some pretty good transportation options to the new site. (Maybe they can get Elon Musk to build the Loop from my house to LASED. I know i'd use it, so that's one.)

Downtown is jumping, LAFC playing next to the Coliseum, Inglwood, it's all good...

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:... with Ballmer and Kroenke on board, seems like we'll get some pretty good transportation options to the new site.

Good point.

by Zen_Ronin
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

Hell at this point is there any MLB team interested in moving in?

by St. Loser Fan
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

The Anaheim Ducks' 30 year lease at the Honda Center ends in 2023.

by St. Loser Fan
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

The Clippers Remain Serious About Building Their Own L.A. Arena

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timnewcomb ... 364c3a5214

Steve Ballmer, billionaire owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, wants to also become the owner of Los Angeles’ third major arena. And he’s still serious about making it happen.

While the initial announcement of his attentions came in June 2017, Ballmer’s effort hasn’t fallen off the rails. In fact, it continues to move forward, earning both support from Inglewood city officials and a new streamlined development process put in by the state, but also plenty of opposition from the Madison Square Garden Co., owners of The Forum just minutes down the road, and local residents.

But as the legal fight continues on the Clippers’ effort, Ballmer moves forward in a three-year exclusive negotiating deal for largely vacant city-owned land in Inglewood directly under the LAX flight path. VenuesNow has reported that Ballmer’s team is now looking for a construction firm to build the new, privately funded 18,000-seat venue.

The Clippers’ plan moves the team out of the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, a venue it shares with the L.A. Lakers of the NBA and L.A. Kings of the NHL. The new site would turn into a Clippers mecca with the new arena, practice facility, corporate offices, a sports medicine clinic, retail and dining, parking and community space all located on the same property.

Already, the NFL has taken over Inglewood, with the construction of a new venue for the Rams and the Chargers going up across Century Boulevard from the land the Clippers have earmarked for their effort.

The Clippers are currently in an exclusive three-year negotiation agreement with the city, one they paid $1.5 million to gain, for the exploration of 46 acres of land. About 27 acres of that land would get developed for the project and the rest would revert back to the city. As part of the agreement, the Clippers are on the back half of an 18-month Environmental Impact Report covering the property.

Inglewood originally acquired most of the parcels within the project through a Federal Aviation Administration noise mitigation grant that precludes future use of the parcels for residential purposes. The Clippers have stated the arena project is the best use of the land.

The timing of the project still fits within the Ballmer plan announced in 2017. The lease at the Staples Center with the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) expires at the end of the 2023-2024 season, so Ballmer timed the 2017 announcement to give him enough time to walk through the necessary regulatory hurdles and permitting prior to construction, all ready with a new arena in time for the 2024-2025 season.

According to VenuesNow, the three firms vying to build the Clippers arena, one we haven’t yet seen renderings for and the team hasn’t publicly announced a designer on, include companies with strong ties to stadium construction in California. The suitors include: The joint venture of AECOM Hunt/Turner Construction, builders of the new NFL stadium in Inglewood; PCL Construction, builders of the 2018-opened Banc of California soccer stadium in L.A.; and the joint venture of Mortenson and Clark Construction, builders of the NBA’s Chase Center, currently under construction in San Francisco.

When Ballmer announced his plans for the arena, he said he wanted to secure better home dates for the Clippers, which steps behind both the Lakers and Kings in securing spots on the calendar. Having their own home certainly gives the NBA team all the flexibility in could muster. It also creates a third major arena in the Los Angeles area competing for concerts and other events. The Forum’s owners, MSG, filed a lawsuit trying to block the construction of the Clippers arena. The Clippers have countersued. But with AEG and MSG, which often works directly with Live Nation, two of the top concert promoters in the country, the new Clippers project may fall third in the pecking order for supplemental events, such as big-name concert acts.

Of course, for a billionaire owner concerned about the viability of his NBA team, maybe concerts aren’t a top-of-mind concern. No matter how the potential of three major arenas in the Los Angeles area would play out, Ballmer remains quite serious about his plans for a new Clippers-specific arena in Los Angeles. And for that, expect him to move forward until the project gets done.

by moklerman
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I take it the Forum is too outdated? I suppose the Clippers wouldn't want sloppy seconds either but it seems like becoming a part of the Kroenke complex wouldn't be so bad.

by dieterbrock
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Clippers? They’re in the NFL now?

by PAC12
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   64  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

dieterbrock wrote:Clippers? They’re in the NFL now?

My thoughts exactly!

by moklerman
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Doesn't seem like a stretch to me. This isn't "Clippers talk". This is about an NBA franchise moving to Stan's back yard.

• 4 / 7
65 posts Apr 19 2024