1 post
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Yeah, I know....if you're not a Yankee fan this news is "so what?". But as a Yankee fan, I can honestly say I'm worried. Lou Gehrig wasn't the first Yankee captain but he was the most famous captain. Sure before Gehrig's 4 year run as captain, Ruth was captain for 1 year and before him Peckinpaugh was captain for 8 years. But anybody alive today hearing the name Peckinpaugh probably would think of the movie Straw Dogs, not that Yankee captain.

After Gehrig it was 37 years before the Yankees made somebody captain. Munsen got the title in 76, the first year they made the World Series since 1964. After he died, they gave it out every few years with the longest un-captained team lasting 3 years. Nettles. Randolph and Guidry. Mattingley. That was during the 80's when they didn't get to the postseason at all after 1981.

Then after they returned in 95, and had a nice run they made Jeter captain in 2003. But from 2003 through 2014, his last as captain, they won 1 World Series. Now 9 years later, they make Judge captain. Are they preparing me for more heartache? I hope not!

• 1 / 1
1 post Apr 29 2024