3 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by BobCarl
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4325  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

MLB owners lock out the players, beginning baseball’s first work stoppage in 26 years.

1972: 13-day strike, affecting regular season
1973: lockout, spring training only
1976: lockout, spring training only
1980: strike, spring training only
1981: 53-day strike affecting regular season
1985: two-day strike, affecting regular season
1990: lockout pushing back Opening Day, but season was played in full
1994-95: 232-day strike, cancelling 1994 playoffs

I don't know the issues involved in this lockout ... but I'd think an interim situation can be negotiated.

If there is no lockout AND if there is no agreement on a new collective contract then what happens?

It sounds stupid that the owners say "lockout" a few seconds before the players say "strike". Is there an advantage to being first?

And what kind of teeth does a "lockout" have at this point in the offseason?

somebody edjumicate me please.

by snackdaddy
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9689  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I would say at this time of year a lockout isn't really critical. Plenty of time to make a deal. But if it comes close to the 1994 season, MLB better watch out. They lost a lot of fans and it took years to get them back. The pandemic mighta told some people they don't need spectator sports to be happy.

Millionaires fighting with billionaires while the average Joe is struggling with overall inflation and high gas prices is not a good look. Especially if that Joe lost his job to the pandemic.

by faulkrram
2 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   269  
United States of America   Vermeil Country
Rookie

snackdaddy wrote:I would say at this time of year a lockout isn't really critical. Plenty of time to make a deal. But if it comes close to the 1994 season, MLB better watch out. They lost a lot of fans and it took years to get them back. The pandemic mighta told some people they don't need spectator sports to be happy.

Millionaires fighting with billionaires while the average Joe is struggling with overall inflation and high gas prices is not a good look. Especially if that Joe lost his job to the pandemic.

Snack, there's high gas prices and inflation? Manfred is a chump as well...Following the Race baiting hatred, and also moving the ALL Star game because of State politics was a complete Stalinesque maneuver. How Ironic it was that the ATLANTA Georgia Braves ended up winning the W.S. There is justice....

• 1 / 1
3 posts May 16 2024