Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

so many memories of my buccos battling joe and the big red machine... rip joe morgan, you were a great one.

by JackPMiller
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:so many memories of my buccos battling joe and the big red machine... rip joe morgan, you were a great one.

I remember him against my Phillies. He was one of the greats. Highly intelligent, and excellent on TV as well.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The guy was a great player and may have been equally great in the booth. He didn't sugar coat anything. Loved the guy.

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

enormously successful businessman post-career too.....

by PARAM
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I was watching some MLB highlights and stumbled on Bob Costa's memories of Whitey Ford. Then Brian Kenney says "man we have lost some greats this year" and rattled off a quick list.

Whitey Ford, Al Kaline, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver and that was before Joe Morgan died. I know any given year there's probably a long list but for some reason in this screwed up year, 2020, it seems like a lot. They were hall of famers but there were other good ball players like Jimmy Wynn, Bob Watson, Ron Perranoski, Bob Oliver, Jay Johnstone, Tony Fernandez and Claudell Washington who also passed. There was another notable, who, though not a hall of famer, perhaps as famous as anyone in the HOF. Don Larsen.

Yeah 2020 has been a screwed up year.

On Whitey Ford, who had the highest win percentage (.691) of any pitcher with 300 decisions, Kenney and Costas were discussing his World Series ERA, 2.71 and laughing about the fact that was always against the best team in the National League, as opposed to LDS, LCS and Wild Cards. Costas said, he was the premier big game pitcher in MLB before Koufax and Gibson came along, despite topping out in just the low 80's. In fact, while losing game 4 of the 1963 World Series 1-0 to Koufax, he pitched a 2 hitter and gave up a run on an error and sac fly. That was before exit velos and loft angles, back when boring baseball was fun to watch.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Apr 19 2024