816 posts
  • 67 / 82
 by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Looks like the Dodgers valued their top prospects...…..

They're not the only ones. I can see a team who hasn't been to the postseason and is close, go out and overpay for somebody. Because let's face it, the nearer to the deadline the more you're going to overpay (in most cases). And the longer your playoff drought, the more your probably willing to pay (in most cases).

Teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc, who've built their team with a lot of their own and are contenders for the WS year in and year out, should value their prospects. Now if somebody is willing to give up a good player for a handful of 2nd or 3rd tier guys, then go ahead. But that doesn't happen all that much in late July.

I don't know the Dodgers' farm system but I'm glad the Yankees kept Deivi Garcia, Albert Abreu and Johnny Lasagna. A couple of them could be in the rotation at some point in 2020 or 2021. So the Yankees needed a starting pitcher but why give up a guy(s) who is really good and you could have years of control over? Especially at a position of need, that has been a need for years?

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:They're not the only ones. I can see a team who hasn't been to the postseason and is close, go out and overpay for somebody. Because let's face it, the nearer to the deadline the more you're going to overpay (in most cases). And the longer your playoff drought, the more your probably willing to pay (in most cases).

Teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc, who've built their team with a lot of their own and are contenders for the WS year in and year out, should value their prospects. Now if somebody is willing to give up a good player for a handful of 2nd or 3rd tier guys, then go ahead. But that doesn't happen all that much in late July.

I don't know the Dodgers' farm system but I'm glad the Yankees kept Deivi Garcia, Albert Abreu and Johnny Lasagna. A couple of them could be in the rotation at some point in 2020 or 2021. So the Yankees needed a starting pitcher but why give up a guy(s) who is really good and you could have years of control over? Especially at a position of need, that has been a need for years?

Because prospects are prospects and proven players are more valuable.
Especially when it comes to pitching. Look around the league and most teams rotation is comprised of players from other teams. (Unless you’re the Dodgers)
The Dodgers farm system is freakish. Every year it seems they have another rookie making waves.

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Because prospects are prospects and proven players are more valuable.
Especially when it comes to pitching. Look around the league and most teams rotation is comprised of players from other teams. (Unless you’re the Dodgers)
The Dodgers farm system is freakish. Every year it seems they have another rookie making waves.

I agree proven players are more valuable. And most times, merely 2 month rentals. If it brings a Championship it's a great move. If it doesn't it's a real bad move.

(Wow!!! I just watch Mike Ford hit a blast to put the Yankees up. WTF is going on in NY? )

Once our guys are healthy, we could have 3/5's of the rotation home grown. Severino, Montgomery and German. And in a couple more years, maybe 5/5's with Garcia, Loaisiga and Abreu. But that's down the road. Right now we have to hope J.A. Happ wakes the hell up and Paxton comes through.

(And Mike Tauchman just hit his 2nd homer of the game!!! 9-6. Wow!! It's only the third homer by a lefty off of Fry this year.....Ford and Tauchman tonight and Greg Bird opening day!)

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Exciting series. I haven't watched the Dodgers but a couple of times before this weekend (always check the standings though), so I have a question. Were they slumping coming in? This game was competitive (like the first two before that 5 run 5th in the opener), 3-1 going into the 7th. The Dodger had 8 baserunners (5 hits), and left 6 on base through the first 6 innings and that's what hurt them. What killed them was the last 9 batters (vs the bullpen) went 0 for 9 with a walk and 7 strikeouts.

It doesn't mean anything as far as the postseason or trajectory of these two teams. Trying to gleen postseason possibilities from an August series is like trying to gleen something from preseason NFL football. We know in any team-sport (remember him?), a hot team is hard to beat in the postseason. What I liked was the way both teams, to a man, said it had a postseason feel. And if they do meet, I expect nothing less than previous Yankees/Dodgers World Series excitement.

Reggie sticking out his hip and Lasorda going nuts. Reggie hitting 3. The Dodgers beating George Frazier 3 times. Fernando mania. Hell Steve Howe won a game in 81 and the odds are better than even he did it coked up. Brian Babe Ruth Doyle hitting .438 and Lasorda talking to himself. (If you hadn't realized, I always enjoyed Lasorda managing or simply talking baseball.) Guidry giving up back to back homers in a 2-1 loss he was dominating. It's always something when these two teams lock-up. And it has been, going back to the 40's. Man I hope...…..

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Looks like Ryu is getting back to form. He had a bad stretch of a few games where he ERA went up almost a point and a half. They had him skip a couple starts to rest him and now he's back to his old self. 7 shutout innings today. Pretty much the same with his last start. He's usually much better at home but today was a road game.

What is the tie breaker between leagues? I believe the Yankees have the tiebreaker with the Dodgers. So that would be easy to determine. But the Dodgers have not played the Astros. What if the Astros and Dodgers meet in the World Series and both teams have the same regular season record? I'm still pulling for a Yankees/Dodgers World Series. Just for nostalgic reasons. Not because I think the Dodgers have a better chance.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Looks like Ryu is getting back to form. He had a bad stretch of a few games where he ERA went up almost a point and a half. They had him skip a couple starts to rest him and now he's back to his old self. 7 shutout innings today. Pretty much the same with his last start. He's usually much better at home but today was a road game.

What is the tie breaker between leagues? I believe the Yankees have the tiebreaker with the Dodgers. So that would be easy to determine. But the Dodgers have not played the Astros. What if the Astros and Dodgers meet in the World Series and both teams have the same regular season record? I'm still pulling for a Yankees/Dodgers World Series. Just for nostalgic reasons. Not because I think the Dodgers have a better chance.

Houston would have tie breaker advantage over Dodgers.
Bizarre, but own division record would be tie breaker

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Dammit! First playoff game for the Dodgers is 5:30 tomorrow. The same time the Rams play. I don't remember if my TV has split screen capabilities. I have Xfinity. So I can stream live channels on their site. Just can't decide which one to have on the computer and which one on the big screen.

by Gareth
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:Dammit! First playoff game for the Dodgers is 5:30 tomorrow. The same time the Rams play. I don't remember if my TV has split screen capabilities. I have Xfinity. So I can stream live channels on their site. Just can't decide which one to have on the computer and which one on the big screen.

Same problem at my house. Rams always get priority though.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Dammit! First playoff game for the Dodgers is 5:30 tomorrow. The same time the Rams play. I don't remember if my TV has split screen capabilities. I have Xfinity. So I can stream live channels on their site. Just can't decide which one to have on the computer and which one on the big screen.

And you know what happens when you try and watch 2 at once? You miss a lot of both!! I know it's blasphemy but one is postseason and the other regular season!!

• 67 / 82
816 posts Apr 26 2024