816 posts
  • 79 / 82
 by Hacksaw
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Thanks snack. Doesn’t sound good, , or innocent. He was somewhat chippy too...

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Its starting to look like the Dodgers will have to settle for the one and done wild card game. Against a very hot Cardinals team. Winners of their last 16 games. I hate these one and done games. You never know what can happen in one game. A series gives you a better indication of who the better team is. Heck, most times the worst team wins one out of three with the best team. Thats baseball. The better team doesn't always win a one and done game.

Buehler is pitching tonight. Which means his next start would be Sunday. If the Giants have clinched by then its a no brainer to sit him. I think Scherzer pitches tomorrow. Which would mean he's the starter in the playoff game. I definitely prefer him for that one. If they win that would leave Buehler as the game one starter the next series. If they lose, well, nevermind.

by PARAM
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Its starting to look like the Dodgers will have to settle for the one and done wild card game. Against a very hot Cardinals team. Winners of their last 16 games. I hate these one and done games. You never know what can happen in one game. A series gives you a better indication of who the better team is. Heck, most times the worst team wins one out of three with the best team. Thats baseball. The better team doesn't always win a one and done game.

Buehler is pitching tonight. Which means his next start would be Sunday. If the Giants have clinched by then its a no brainer to sit him. I think Scherzer pitches tomorrow. Which would mean he's the starter in the playoff game. I definitely prefer him for that one. If they win that would leave Buehler as the game one starter the next series. If they lose, well, nevermind.

106 wins!!! No division title. A play-in game to get to the real thing. That sucks. I remember 2018 when the Yankees won 100 games and finished 2nd, 8 GB! It was even worse before 1969. In 1954 the Yanks won 103 and finished 8 GB Cleveland....who got swept by the Giants in the WS!!

Oakland won 100 games in 2001 and finished 2nd to the Mariners (116 wins). They had a 2 games to none lead on the Yankees and the 7th inning, were attempting to score the game tying run when Jeter made "that play". They lost that game 1-0 and the next 2 after. Consolation was the Yankees beat Seattle 4 games to 1 in the ALCS!!

Perhaps the worst year since 1969 was when the Giants won 103 games in 1993 and finished a game behind the Braves when there was no such thing as a "wild card". :shock2: (I know there were no LAD fans upset about that one!! 8-) )

The team folks should feel bad about this year is Toronto. 91-71, 22-9 from September 1st on. 2 guys with 40+ homers, 4 guys with 100+ RBI. 3rd in the AL, 5th in MLB in run differential and no postseason!! Not even a 1 game wild card chance!!

At least the Dodgers can win into the tourney and get to the World Series!!

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago

NLDS Game 1 = OUCH !!!!

by PARAM
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Congrats to the Dodgers

But you can't let a once in a lifetime matchup like this end like that. No way was that a swing. In fact, it wasn't even that close. I doubt Flores does anything there anyway....0-17 lifetime vs. Scherzer....but damn man, can't take the bat out of his hands in the 9th inning of Game 5 in a 2-1 final game. That has got to get corrected this off season. IMO, the dark bats make it difficult and you can't challenge it because it's a "judgement call" but so is an out call on the bases.

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Apparently there isn't a clear cut rule on the check swing. I remember when it was if the wrists broke. Then it became if the bat crosses the plate. But those are not in the umpire rule book. Its a judgement call on whether or not the umpire thought he attempted a swing. Just like with umpires that call differently on what a ball or strike is, umpires decide whether or not the guy made an attempt to swing.

During the season, 3-2 count, bases loaded, two out ninth inning with a one run lead, Kenley Jansen thought he struck out Darin Ruf to end the game. Replays show it was a swing. Ump said he didn't. Resulted in a game tying bases loaded walk.

My guess is, each umpire has differing versions of what they think a swing is just like the strike zone. One guy gives a little more on one side of the plate while another on the other side of the plate. One guys a little tighter with the zone while another is more generous to the pitcher. I would not want to see bots deciding the strikes and balls. Part of the game is for pitchers and batters to adjust to that particular ump. I used to pitch and part of it was knowing the ump's zone.

by TomSlick
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Congratulations Dodger Blue! from a SF Giants fan. Best of luck going forward as you march further into the playoffs.

Oh, and one more thing, I hate all of you.

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

TomSlick wrote:Congratulations Dodger Blue! from a SF Giants fan. Best of luck going forward as you march further into the playoffs.

Oh, and one more thing, I hate all of you.

Looks like that "Beat LA!" chant turned into "You Got Beat By LA!" 8-)

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago

I still find it hard to believe that we went into that San Francisco din and won 2 out of 3...

Tough last playcall. It's possible he changes trend there, but I doubt that call was the difference .

by snackdaddy
2 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

That loss was on Dave Roberts. A two run lead going into the 8th. Two of the best bullpen guys ready to go. He puts Urias in the 8th instead of Treinen. Can't figure out that one. Now they're in a hole they're gonna have to dig out of if they want to get back in the series. They almost have to win 3 straight in LA if they want to have a chance.

• 79 / 82
816 posts Apr 18 2024