70 posts
  • 3 / 7
 by dieterbrock
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I grew up eating, breathing & dreaming about golf. Bought dozens of balls from a company in Florida who "rescued" them from the lakes down there, all of which were lowest quality possible. Probably paid more in shipping than the cost of the balls. That said, we lived at the end of a dead end street next to a vacant field. I would hit those 100 or so balls until my hands bled. Rain or shine, summer or winter, night or daylight. Went to county college, and played on the golf team for 2 years. In my 2nd year we played in the qualifier for the Junior College National Championship, were only a few shots back from qualifying after day 1, but blew up day 2 and ended up way out. Would have loved to have made a career in the golf industry, either working in a pro shop, maybe as a sales rep, but just didn't follow "the dream". In any event, at my peak I'd say I was a pretty good golfer, and when I got in to the corporate world, my climb up the ladder was surely "assisted" by golf ability. Any time there was a scramble tournament that my boss would play in, there would always be a spot for me in the foursome. It was mandatory....
One day I pretty much stopped playing. Lost all interest. I had tried to play in the father/son tournament with my dad, but frankly we didn't like each other, and the golf wasn't great so I pulled the plug on that tradition. And without that annual disaster, there was no need to play. I went a solid 10-12 years without as much as picking up a club.
My nephew got hooked on golf, had me help him pick out clubs, take him to the range etc. On a family trip to Aruba I broke down and agreed to play a round with him. Hit some good, some bad, for the most part was fun. Played again a year later in scramble with some friends from town, and then again last year played again. This year none of us could play so it looked like I was getting a year off until another friend invited me to play last Monday. I couldn't resist, I've driven by this course 100 times and didn't want to miss the opportunity. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that will be the last time I ever step foot on a golf course.... Just an absolutely miserable experience.
I'm envious of you guys, truly. I read every word you guys write and I try to reach back and remember when it was just fun to go out and knock it around. I don't know if it ever was that for me.

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I grew up eating, breathing & dreaming about golf. Bought dozens of balls from a company in Florida who "rescued" them from the lakes down there, all of which were lowest quality possible. Probably paid more in shipping than the cost of the balls. That said, we lived at the end of a dead end street next to a vacant field. I would hit those 100 or so balls until my hands bled. Rain or shine, summer or winter, night or daylight. Went to county college, and played on the golf team for 2 years. In my 2nd year we played in the qualifier for the Junior College National Championship, were only a few shots back from qualifying after day 1, but blew up day 2 and ended up way out. Would have loved to have made a career in the golf industry, either working in a pro shop, maybe as a sales rep, but just didn't follow "the dream". In any event, at my peak I'd say I was a pretty good golfer, and when I got in to the corporate world, my climb up the ladder was surely "assisted" by golf ability. Any time there was a scramble tournament that my boss would play in, there would always be a spot for me in the foursome. It was mandatory....
One day I pretty much stopped playing. Lost all interest. I had tried to play in the father/son tournament with my dad, but frankly we didn't like each other, and the golf wasn't great so I pulled the plug on that tradition. And without that annual disaster, there was no need to play. I went a solid 10-12 years without as much as picking up a club.
My nephew got hooked on golf, had me help him pick out clubs, take him to the range etc. On a family trip to Aruba I broke down and agreed to play a round with him. Hit some good, some bad, for the most part was fun. Played again a year later in scramble with some friends from town, and then again last year played again. This year none of us could play so it looked like I was getting a year off until another friend invited me to play last Monday. I couldn't resist, I've driven by this course 100 times and didn't want to miss the opportunity. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that will be the last time I ever step foot on a golf course.... Just an absolutely miserable experience.
I'm envious of you guys, truly. I read every word you guys write and I try to reach back and remember when it was just fun to go out and knock it around. I don't know if it ever was that for me.

If it isn't fun or you don't love the game, there is no point in playing it. Some people think its boring. I think its a challenge. I'm a highly competitive person. Played in some very competitive fast pitch leagues and tournaments over the years. Some really good talent there. I couldn't count how many times someone told me "See that guy at short stop you're up against? He played with the Cubs a few years ago". Or "That guy was in the Reds organization. That guy played in the minors for a few years".

It was a sport where guys who loved baseball but couldn't make the highest level played because it was the closest thing to their game and they still loved it. I played with few guys who were drafted by pro teams and plenty of former college guys. I wanted to strike them out in batting practice. That is how competitive I can be.

The golf game is the most challenging for me. Softball came easier. I had a natural arm with good velocity. Just something I was born with. But this golf game is such a challenge. The competitiveness in me just won't give up no matter how bad I'm playing. I'll go out the range twice a week if I have to. I chip in my little yard. Have a putting machine so I can be more consistent on the 5 footers. The golf game can be addicting even though I'm not all that good at it.

On another note, I don't know if my grandson will continue living the dream. He graduated high school younger than most. Doesn't turn 18 for several more months. Now he's working at the golf course. He started out as the kid who washed golf carts and now he's working a couple days a week in the pro shop. He practices a lot before or after work. His handicap is in single digits. I wonder how well he could do with better equipment and coaching?

I don't know how far he'll go with this. He wants to move to San Diego because his girlfriend is attending San Diego State on an academic scholarship. Something in engineering. She was a straight A honor student in high school. I hope he can find a job at a golf course and continue down that path. He doesn't need to be a pro golfer to make a nice living with it. And he seems to really enjoy the game.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:If it isn't fun or you don't love the game, there is no point in playing it. Some people think its boring. I think its a challenge.

Spot on. Like I said, I had to stop playing because of back surgery and truthfully, after a bit, I didn't miss it. But when I got back into it this spring, it grabbed me all over again. I've always believed golf is fun as long as you don't take it too seriously. I don't mean you don't care how you play. I mean a bad shot, a bad hole or a bad day shouldn't stay with you longer than 30 seconds.

My goal is to get under 90 consistently. That may seem like a waste to guys who play real well but it's my goal. There is more to golf than hitting the ball. The scenery. The comraderie…..the fact you're not playing against the other 3 guys.....you're all playing against the course.

Wednesday I was sitting at 79 after 15 holes, with a par 5 and two par 4's left. I collapsed getting two snowmen and a 7. Ridiculous!!! I simply lost focus, hit a couple of bad shots on 16 (a par 5) and 3 putted the last two holes. But I'll be back out there Saturday and again on Thursday. My swing is getting more consistent and being out there is better than working!!

@DB...it seems you don't have any interest in playing but if that ever changes, let me know. I'm in.

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:My goal is to get under 90 consistently. That may seem like a waste to guys who play real well but it's my goal. There is more to golf than hitting the ball. The scenery. The comraderie…..the fact you're not playing against the other 3 guys.....you're all playing against the course.

My wife wonders what I see in the sport. I tell my her I like the ambiance of the course. Huge, shady trees. Lush green grass. Nice ponds with fountains and waterfalls. I get to play a competitive sport in that.

by PARAM
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:My wife wonders what I see in the sport. I tell my her I like the ambiance of the course. Huge, shady trees. Lush green grass. Nice ponds with fountains and waterfalls. I get to play a competitive sport in that.

Exactly. You're standing on the tee and when you look all around, all you see is terrific scenery. Maybe it's the photographer in me but that alone is worth the effort. Add in some awesome drives, fairway shots, chips and putts and you have even more pleasure. Throw in the nice folks in your foursome and what's not to like and enjoy?

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Exactly. You're standing on the tee and when you look all around, all you see is terrific scenery. Maybe it's the photographer in me but that alone is worth the effort. Add in some awesome drives, fairway shots, chips and putts and you have even more pleasure. Throw in the nice folks in your foursome and what's not to like and enjoy?

Yup. And a beer at the 19th hole ain't bad either. 8-)

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Snack, I played a true "links style course" for the first time Wednesday. Awesome. No trees and the perception was wide open fairways but bunkers (galore) and sawgrass in the most inopportune places!!! I loved the layout and how high the demand was for accuracy and distance. The greens were all undulated and fast. Shot a 101 after scoring a 20 on the first 3 holes. Putting for bird 3 times and managed to score 3 pars and 6 bogies in the last 12 holes. Going back this Wednesday to see if I can improve the score.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Snack, I played a true "links style course" for the first time Wednesday. Awesome. No trees and the perception was wide open fairways but bunkers (galore) and sawgrass in the most inopportune places!!! I loved the layout and how high the demand was for accuracy and distance. The greens were all undulated and fast. Shot a 101 after scoring a 20 on the first 3 holes. Putting for bird 3 times and managed to score 3 pars and 6 bogies in the last 12 holes. Going back this Wednesday to see if I can improve the score.

I'm going up to Northern Cali to visit relatives for Thanksgiving in the Mount Shasta area. There's a golf course there with two separate courses. One is called The Championship Course and other Scottish Links. The Championship Course sounds like its above my level so we're going to try the Sottish Links. Should be fun. I'll be playing with both my grandsons and their dad. Plus, every hole has a beautiful view of Mount Shasta.

As competitive as I can be I'm going try and not worry about the score. I'm going to take in the scenery as much as I can. If I take some pics I'll post them. Its a beautiful area up there.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

I'm going to take in the scenery as much as I can. If I take some pics I'll post them. Its a beautiful area up there.

That's a huge part of golf....the scenery. And I get to experience all of it. The trees. The streams. The beach. I guess the positive side of that is I get my money's worth!!!

I always appreciate scenic photos.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:That's a huge part of golf....the scenery. And I get to experience all of it. The trees. The streams. The beach. I guess the positive side of that is I get my money's worth!!!

I always appreciate scenic photos.

Lol, when you consider strokes per dollar I guess I get my money's worth too. :lol2:

• 3 / 7
70 posts Apr 20 2024