70 posts
  • 2 / 7
 by PARAM
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Dang, I was so proud that I finally broke 90 with an 87 a couple weeks ago. So I take the kid out for 18 holes a few days ago. I didn't break 90 this time but shot a solid 91 which is good for me. The kid beat me by 12 strokes with a 79 on a par 72 course. And he hadn't picked up a club in 5 weeks. I'm starting to think I'm never gonna beat him unless I stomp on his foot before a round.

On another note, I change my driver swing a couple years ago to hit more fairways. It worked for a while and my scores got lower. But I lost distance. Then lately I started missing fairways even with the loss of distance. So finally, I said heck with it. I went back to my old baseball swing. Just grip it and rip it. If I miss the fairway at least I'm further down. And what do you know, I'm hitting more fairways now and longer.

I think my brain adjusted to my swing making me think my age was the reason for it. When I go to the range I just let it fly as hard as I can now. I'm not where I was 20 years ago. An occasional 300 yard drive wasn't uncommon back then. But I can now hit some around 260-270 yards. Mishits are 230-240. Not bad for a guy who just turned 63. Those 400 yard plus par 4's are now reachable in two for me. :D

Since you started this thread I've taken up golf again!! All this golf talk inspired me!! I used to play fairly regularly but after back surgery my wife convinced me to give away my clubs (I actually traded them for some tools). She was worried (and rightfully so) if I screwed my back up and couldn't work we'd be in trouble. But that was 15 years ago. So I bought an inexpensive set and have been out 4 times the last 3 weeks. I even bought a golf card (featured in the local paper) for 13 rounds of golf at 13 different courses for $129. All I have to do is play after 11 a.m. on weekdays, after 2 p.m. on weekends and rent a cart ($22 is most expensive on these courses). I also convinced a buddy of mine to purchase the card. Thanks Snack!!!

by snackdaddy
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Since you started this thread I've taken up golf again!! All this golf talk inspired me!! I used to play fairly regularly but after back surgery my wife convinced me to give away my clubs (I actually traded them for some tools). She was worried (and rightfully so) if I screwed my back up and couldn't work we'd be in trouble. But that was 15 years ago. So I bought an inexpensive set and have been out 4 times the last 3 weeks. I even bought a golf card (featured in the local paper) for 13 rounds of golf at 13 different courses for $129. All I have to do is play after 11 a.m. on weekdays, after 2 p.m. on weekends and rent a cart ($22 is most expensive on these courses). I also convinced a buddy of mine to purchase the card. Thanks Snack!!!

Thats great PA. I had a severe back injury over 30 years ago. My back has never been the same since. But I know how to work with it and what my limitations are. If anything, my hips are more of a problem now. But I still walk the 18 holes. Cost reasons are part of it but I also play better when I'm not sharing a cart with someone and I can walk my push cart all the way up to the green. Something about walking seems to get me in the right frame of mind. I did get a spring loaded seat for my cart. Its been a lifesaver because I can take a break on the fairway while waiting or the others to hit. My legs can handle the walking but my back and hips tend to ache.

That price you got was really good. I don't have that kind of option here. The course I normally play on is $32 to walk in the mornings on weekends. Its cheaper on weekdays. I can do weekdays but my playing partners can't. And because they're younger and have families, they have to play early so they have the afternoon to spend time with their kids.

There is only one course in my area. A couple more are 30 miles. My home course is nice. They do a good job of taking care of it. Greens are always nice. But because its older, the trees are mature and huge. Eucalyptus and Pines line every fairway. Some on both sides. Some on one side and homes on the other side. Its a tough course with several par 4's over 400 yards from the white tees. The shortest par 3 is 160 yards. And several fairways are pretty narrow. Its a challenge for sure.

Have fun PA. Once you get the bug, it can be addicting. Its the one sport where the only one you're competing with is yourself. I'm always trying to reach my goal of a certain score. I finally reached it. Now the goal is to stay there and not slide back.

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Once you get the bug, it can be addicting.

Update. I'm there. I'm playing at least once a week. Sometimes twice.

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Update. I'm there. I'm playing at least once a week. Sometimes twice.

It can get costly at the courses I play around here. Typically, a round of golf with a cart on a weekend morning is between 45-55 bucks depending on which course. I always walk which costs me around 30 bucks at the course I normally play.

But the last round with a cart was free. Of all places my grandson got a job, its at the golf course. His boss let him bring a group on for free. So he brought me, his dad and brother.
That was pretty cool. Still didn't score well, but its ok. I have fun out there whether I shoot in the 80's or can't break 100.

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:It can get costly at the courses I play around here. Typically, a round of golf with a cart on a weekend morning is between 45-55 bucks depending on which course. I always walk which costs me around 30 bucks at the course I normally play.

But the last round with a cart was free. Of all places my grandson got a job, its at the golf course. His boss let him bring a group on for free. So he brought me, his dad and brother.
That was pretty cool. Still didn't score well, but its ok. I have fun out there whether I shoot in the 80's or can't break 100.

I wish I knew somebody who works at a golf course!!
Yeah, it's fun no matter what.

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I wish I knew somebody who works at a golf course!!
Yeah, it's fun no matter what.

I wish I was young again. Fortunately for me I no longer work so I can play a round any time and go home to rest. My grandson isn't so lucky. But he's young and has endurance. We played 18 holes early yesterday. Finished before noon and he had to report to work right after.

He just walked off the 18th green, hit the showers and started working. Worked 8 hours. He said he was fine. It I had to to that I'd end up calling in sick for two days. :lol2:

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

I've been breaking 100 consistently now. But only barely.

I played a course last week which used to be a plush private club. Lulu in Glenside, PA. It sucked. The clubhouse (a 100 year old building) burned down last year and they are rebuilding. So they made it public until it's rebuilt and then they are reverting to private. But the condition of the course was crappy.

So far the best course I've played is Bucks Club in Warminster, PA. The greens reminded me of Augusta (though I've only seen them on TV). I would bet Augusta's green are no more difficult than Bucks Club. Course was immaculate and only $53 for seniors on weekdays, including the cart.

I'm having a blast and once I get to Florida in November I will have a whole new list of places to enjoy.

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I've been breaking 100 consistently now. But only barely.

I played a course last week which used to be a plush private club. Lulu in Glenside, PA. It sucked. The clubhouse (a 100 year old building) burned down last year and they are rebuilding. So they made it public until it's rebuilt and then they are reverting to private. But the condition of the course was crappy.

So far the best course I've played is Bucks Club in Warminster, PA. The greens reminded me of Augusta (though I've only seen them on TV). I would bet Augusta's green are no more difficult than Bucks Club. Course was immaculate and only $53 for seniors on weekdays, including the cart.

I'm having a blast and once I get to Florida in November I will have a whole new list of places to enjoy.

The courses within reasonable driving distance are pretty good for the most part. Pheasant Run in Chowchilla is the nicest. My home course is Rancho Del Rey in Atwater. Pheasant Run is the best course. Greens are usually pretty fast. A couple par 4's are like 440 from the white tees. But all the par 5's are under 500.

Hole 18 is the signature hole. Its on an island green with water all the way around it. I don't break 100 very often there. Yet, the last 3 rounds I parred the 18th hole. All three times I missed birdie by less than 5 inches. I always lay up with that hole.

After that 87 a few months ago I haven't been able to break 90 again. Even went over 100 last month. It never seems to be one thing that stands out causing me problems. And nothing too drastic. I just seem to have a combination of things that each adds 2 or 3 strokes to my score.

When I went over 100 there were 4 three putts. I rarely 3 putt. Had two penalty strokes. Muffed a couple easy chips where I didn't even get on the green. Add it up and instead of mid 90's its a 101. And I only had one triple bogey. I'm usually good for three in a round. I just had too many doubles and hardly any pars.

But with all that, I don't get discouraged. I just go out to the range every week and work on my game. I do expect to break 90 eventually. I just gotta clean up the short game. Mainly chips. Putting isn't great but its not terrible either.

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:The courses within reasonable driving distance are pretty good for the most part. Pheasant Run in Chowchilla is the nicest. My home course is Rancho Del Rey in Atwater. Pheasant Run is the best course. Greens are usually pretty fast. A couple par 4's are like 440 from the white tees. But all the par 5's are under 500.

Hole 18 is the signature hole. Its on an island green with water all the way around it. I don't break 100 very often there. Yet, the last 3 rounds I parred the 18th hole. All three times I missed birdie by less than 5 inches. I always lay up with that hole.

After that 87 a few months ago I haven't been able to break 90 again. Even went over 100 last month. It never seems to be one thing that stands out causing me problems. And nothing too drastic. I just seem to have a combination of things that each adds 2 or 3 strokes to my score.

When I went over 100 there were 4 three putts. I rarely 3 putt. Had two penalty strokes. Muffed a couple easy chips where I didn't even get on the green. Add it up and instead of mid 90's its a 101. And I only had one triple bogey. I'm usually good for three in a round. I just had too many doubles and hardly any pars.

But with all that, I don't get discouraged. I just go out to the range every week and work on my game. I do expect to break 90 eventually. I just gotta clean up the short game. Mainly chips. Putting isn't great but its not terrible either.

A par on 18 will keep a guy coming back!!!! I hear ya about the "never 1 thing" thing. When the tee shots are on, the middle irons might be off. When they're both on the short game or putting might be off. I had a conversation with one of the guys I golf with after a round and his opinion is we don't take enough time to take the shot. I think he may be right. But I can't stand being behind a foursome that takes a lot of time lining up putts or backing away from the ball and looking at everything once more before swinging, like they're qualifying for their tour card and so consequently, I don't take my time. It's a tough game but man is it fun.

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:A par on 18 will keep a guy coming back!!!! I hear ya about the "never 1 thing" thing. When the tee shots are on, the middle irons might be off. When they're both on the short game or putting might be off. I had a conversation with one of the guys I golf with after a round and his opinion is we don't take enough time to take the shot. I think he may be right. But I can't stand being behind a foursome that takes a lot of time lining up putts or backing away from the ball and looking at everything once more before swinging, like they're qualifying for their tour card and so consequently, I don't take my time. It's a tough game but man is it fun.

I played fast pitch softball for 30 years. Hitting a rise ball or drop ball at 75mph from 46 feet didn't seem as hard as hitting that dang golf ball just sitting there. :lol2:

• 2 / 7
70 posts Apr 25 2024