2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/clevela ... JgTBqpH0wQ

Cleveland’s baseball team changes name to the Guardians
Published Fri, Jul 23 20219:47 AM EDTUpdated 6 Min Ago
Kevin Stankiewicz @kevin_stank

Cleveland’s Major League Baseball team is changing its name to Guardians, the franchise announced Friday, dropping the racially offensive name it has been known as for more than a century.

The name Guardians is a reference to well-known Art Deco statues located on the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, which spans the Cuyahoga River and connects downtown Cleveland to the city’s trendy Ohio City neighborhood. Those statues are known as the “Guardians of Traffic.”

The franchise, which announced the name change in a tweet Friday morning, had long faced pressure from activists locally and nationally to ditch the name “Indians,” which critics said was racist. It had been the baseball club’s name since 1915.

The video announcing the name change did not say when it goes into effect. However, MLB.com reported that will happen for next season. The 2021 season is currently underway, with the Cleveland franchise in second place in the American League Central.

The NFL’s Washington Football Team last year dropped its former name, which was decried as demeaning to Native Americans, as corporate backlash intensified. The franchise adopted Washington Football Team on a temporary basis, playing last season under that name. It will continue to be known as the Washington Football Team for the upcoming 2021 campaign.

The Washington Post reported earlier this month that a new name and logo will be announced in early 2022.

by snackdaddy
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

In this woke society, how many other teams should change their names? The 49ers in the gold rush era had a history of violence and atrocities against Native Americans. The Raiders, Pirates and Buccaneers are named after thieves, murders and rapists. Heck, these days some people equate Patriots with white supremacy. Many Kings in the past were evil rulers who committed atrocities against their opposition. I'm sure there are other team names that could offend somebody.

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

This is out of control. These folks should have never woke up.

Side note, I just scored a sweet long sleeve tee with the Indians name across the front and chief Wahoo smiling away. I'll wear it proud. And I'm 40% native American Indian ..

by St. Loser Fan
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:In this woke society, how many other teams should change their names? The 49ers in the gold rush era had a history of violence and atrocities against Native Americans. The Raiders, Pirates and Buccaneers are named after thieves, murders and rapists. Heck, these days some people equate Patriots with white supremacy. Many Kings in the past were evil rulers who committed atrocities against their opposition. I'm sure there are other team names that could offend somebody.

The St. Louis Blues as it glorifies depression. The Minnesota Viking as it glorifies invasion and pillaging.

But while we are at it, the Utah Jazz and LA Lakers need to have their names changed because there is no jazz in Utah and no lakes in Los Angeles.

by snackdaddy
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:The St. Louis Blues as it glorifies depression. The Minnesota Viking as it glorifies invasion and pillaging.
But while we are at it, the Utah Jazz and LA Lakers need to have their names changed because there is no jazz in Utah and no lakes in Los Angeles.

Oklahoma Thunder. How many people have lost loved ones to those brutal storms? They don't want a reminder.

Fresno State Bulldogs. Did you know a local Fresno gang has adopted that name? A gang know for committing violent crimes on the streets and in prisons. They proudly make barking sounds to indicate their loyalty to the gang. I'm pretty sure the gang won't change their name. The school will have to.

by Hacksaw
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Atlanta Braves and their tomahawk chop.
Kansas City Chiefs.
If Indians are somehow off limits, how about Cowboys?

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 16 2024