403 posts
  • 34 / 41
 by JackPMiller
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:So the Lakers miss out on Kawhi Leonard. This sure changes the landscape of the NBA in Los Angeles. Both teams are legit contenders for the finals. Some people think missing out on Leonard might be a blessing in disguise. Signing him surely woulda make them look like the big 3 in Miami. But they woulda been limited trying to fill out the rest of the roster.

Signing Cousins really gives them bench strength and other options. Danny Green isn't an all star but he's a solid role player who's been on championship caliber teams. You can't understate what that kind of veteran presence brings. Rondo is a nice compliment too. Not a big scorer but knows how to run an offense and plays solid defense. Probably another bench guy at this stage of his career. But you can't have enough quality bench players. Caldwell-Pope coming back helps the perimeter game. They were in need of perimeter shooters. They picked up a decent one in Jared Dudley. He's strictly a bench guy who will be shooting from the perimeter. Having another threat helps with the high/low game they will try to play.

Right now the starting lineup is looking like Davis/Kuzma/LBJ/Green and either Pope or Rondo. Its possible they use Cousins and Davis as center/power forward. But I think Cousins will be coming off the bench. We'll see them both on the floor together sometimes depending on the flow of the game. When Rondo isn't in they don't have a true point guard. But they don't really need one because the offense will likely flow through Lebron. He can be more of a distributor with the presence of Davis and/or Cousins.

I got them making the playoffs this year, but losing in the first round. I am not sold on them like most of the experts are. I feel that overall, the Clippers, Jazz, Nuggets, and Trailblazers are better overall teams. Warriors are going to fall back this year, OKC, is tanking. I do not trust the combination of Russ and Harden in Houston. Warriors, and Rockets lose in round one as well. Clippers VS Jazz in the WCF.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

JackPMiller wrote:I got them making the playoffs this year, but losing in the first round. I am not sold on them like most of the experts are. I feel that overall, the Clippers, Jazz, Nuggets, and Trailblazers are better overall teams. Warriors are going to fall back this year, OKC, is tanking. I do not trust the combination of Russ and Harden in Houston. Warriors, and Rockets lose in round one as well. Clippers VS Jazz in the WCF.

Its all about how they can co-exist and find their roles. We know Lebron and Davis are the big 2. They will get theirs. Its going to be about how the others fit. During the Shaq/Kobe and Kobe/Gasol years Phil Jackson was a master at knowing how to fit the role players. And they all knew their roles. They have some decent to good role players. Its up to the coach to know where they all fit.

I'm revising my projected starting lineup and switching McGee for Kuzma. With Kuzma and Cousins coming off the bench the defense might slip but they will have some scorers with the second unit. Guys like Bradley, Daniels and Dudley can all hit the 3's. I think when the second unit comes in we might see a lot more up tempo than with the starting unit.

When its all said and done I got them at least making it to the Western Conference finals with the Clippers. I would rate that matchup a tossup. Lakers will be better up front but the Clippers have the best back court and pesky defenders. I might give the Lakers bench an edge too if they can at least play decent defense.

I have an all LA West Conference finals. Although I could see Denver getting in too. They expect to be pretty good again and they have more experience with the grind of long series now. If I'm an LA team I don't want to see Denver in the second round.

by snackdaddy
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Thought I would bump this one since its basketball season and a bye week for the Rams. I finally have some interest in watching Laker games now.

Way too early but I do like the way they commit to defense when the start they second half of games. Seems like the 3rd has been their quarter. Dallas and Utah are pretty good teams. Lakers routed Utah and beat Dallas in OT. That kid Doncic is pretty good. And he's only 20 years old. Porzingis is one big dude and he can shoot 3's. I think Dallas found themselves a couple gems with those two. I expect them to be a playoff team.

Getting back to the Lakers, from what I see the Clippers are their biggest road block. I watched some of that game and it was clear the Clippers are going to be a tough defensive team. You need that in the playoffs. Since that game though, the Lakers started to commit to playing defense. Especially when they come out in the 2nd half. If the Lakers continue to commit to their defense I like their chances.

They have two top 5 players in the league with some guys on the bench who can shoot from the outside. Their problem from the few games I watched the past few years was defense. Teams always seemed to have good looks at the basket. If they play solid defense, I have a feeling we will see the conference finals in LA next spring. The Lakers would essentially have home court the whole series. When they played the Clippers on opening night, it was a home game for the Clippers. But there was probably 75-80 percent Laker fans there.

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

This Thanksgiving, I want to give thanks for the Lakers being 16 and 2 ....

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

Their ten game win streak ended today. But they still have a conference best 17-3 record. I figured they would be pretty good compare to the past few seasons. But they're exceeding my expectations so far. I thought it might take a little time to build the chemistry.

Dwight Howard has been a pleasant surprise. Coming off the bench and providing solid defense and rebounding. Lebron is still a top 3 player. Davis is right there too. When it comes to the top 2, I would rate the Lakers two a little better than the Clippers and Rockets 2 stars. But it will come down to the role players. So far the Lakers are playing pretty good defense. They credit that for their resurgence. That is something they will need come playoff time.

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 months ago

33 - 8 at the halfway point.

Still need better shooting and/or another wing defender. We're big in the paint, especially if Boogie comes back, but we're not quite deep enough to win a 7 game series against the Clips or Bucks.

by Horny Mcbae
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

We are still one piece away. An important piece too.

The game in Boston the other night was the worst we’ve played this season and tonight against a really really really shitty Knicks team we played like trash too. Thankfully Knicks are beyond garbage and we got the W.

We need a trade but we don’t have any picks. Rumors of D Rose but man that ain’t it.

by Hacksaw
3 years 10 months ago

by Hacksaw
3 years 8 months ago

Now Nike's messing with the back of the jerseys. Larger numbers over a name instead of the name of the number.
At least the Lakers side stripes are purple again, and not black.

Clips are overrated. They're getting a big bonus for their old wings getting that rest. Same with elBJ but the break really helped the Clipps.
Lakers are better overall and don't look like they'll lose their season lead, but the Clipps are getting more relevant. For now.

The sideline video screens are cool. The canned audience is realistic sort of. Probably helps with realism. Even the commentators commented about the quiet being weird.

by ramsrams
3 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Freak, I would like those “old wings” on the Lakers.

Those guys can play.

• 34 / 41
403 posts Apr 18 2024