53 posts
  • 5 / 6
 by aeneas1
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

tough read....

btw, wasn't aware of this, but bryant won an academy award for his animated short film in 2018, here it is:

by Will0120
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

aeneas1 wrote:tough read....

btw, wasn't aware of this, but bryant won an academy award for his animated short film in 2018, here it is:

Thanks, now I am a mess... :(

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

You know, I see all these comments on social media with people complaining about all the mourning over Kobe and not enough for the others. I understand what they're getting at. But they should understand, Kobe is the one we had the connection to. If he and Gianna were not on that helicopter most of us wouldn't even know about it.

I can say it hit me harder when my brother died a couple years ago. I had more of a connection because he's family. I also had a connection with Kobe because I followed his career for 20 years being a diehard Lakers fan. Not as much as my brother, but you get my point. I had no previous connection to the others. Sure, its sad. I feel for the families. But no more than the millions of others who die every year that I never knew. Kobe is the reason we are mourning the others too. So it makes sense the grief we feel is geared more to him.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:You know, I see all these comments on social media with people complaining about all the mourning over Kobe and not enough for the others. I understand what they're getting at. But they should understand, Kobe is the one we had the connection to. If he and Gianna were not on that helicopter most of us wouldn't even know about it.

I can say it hit me harder when my brother died a couple years ago. I had more of a connection because he's family. I also had a connection with Kobe because I followed his career for 20 years being a diehard Lakers fan. Not as much as my brother, but you get my point. I had no previous connection to the others. Sure, its sad. I feel for the families. But no more than the millions of others who die every year that I never knew. Kobe is the reason we are mourning the others too. So it makes sense the grief we feel is geared more to him.

I think the media did a fine job of remembering the others who were in that copter. I read a huge....long piece....on Tony Antobelli, head coach of Orange Coast College Baseball team, his wife and daughter. His brother is a scout for the Boston Red Sox and his other brother runs the baseball PR department at OCC. I saw an interview with the husband of the female basketball coach from the school Kobe's daughter attended. They have 3 daughters and his life is totally upside down right now. To be fair, I haven't read or seen a lot about the other women and her daughter who perished with them but that could be because her family is so devasted they haven't shared anything with the media. But all in all, I think though the "story" was about Kobe, the media made sure to include and remember the other people including the pilot. And that's really more than we could expect in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.

by SWAdude
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

This past week has been terribly difficult for me as well. This weeks schedule brought in and out of Burbank and northern California and I flew over the flight path of the helicopter and could see the area of the crash. Haunting. I bonded with strangers wearing Kobe jerseys and wished I had brought mine to have worn during the trip. Bad call.

Today is a big day but GO CHIEFS and fuck the whiners. (living in nor-cal the fake fans are of course out like cicadas)

Today the mourning ends and the celebration begins.

Lakers kicked some serious ass last night and had their best game I have seen this year. They played with the Mamba Mentality.

If you really knew me when it comes to aviation I DO NOT throw stones in glass houses. This may be the first time I will.

That pilot totally screwed up. Should have NEVER even got off the ground. Those were VERY marginal conditions he had many opportunities to abort the mission for a safe outcome. But chose the risk for his ego. He knew the night before the flight would be marginal. Plenty of time to have chartered a plane to do the job safely. Or leave by ground transportation a few hours early.

The saying goes, most aircraft accident investigations are accomplished in clear weather. Flying in weather is always a choice. Never a mandate. Even in times of war.

I feel for his family and loved ones, but he chose the risk with its consequences. He killed himself. And happen to take a beloved legend, his child, parents with their children and a coach along with him. The aviation community has no respect for these arrogant fools.

No pity from me to him.

Enjoy todays game!

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Things are just surreal for me lately. With Kobe because I followed his career for so long. I thought he was invincible. Then, just a few hours ago I find out a very good friend and former co-worker was killed in a head on collision along with her husband. They went to Reno for Valentine's day. I worked with this woman for years before I retired. I considered her a good friend. We kept in touch via Facebook. I'm just feeling numb. Her family has been through so much. Her sister died suddenly a few months ago from a sudden brain aneurysm. Their parents must be so devastated. They have a granddaughter who's in a coma with a rare condition and they still don't know if she will make it. All of this within a matter of 4 months. Just crazy. Makes you appreciate life and understand how fragile life can be.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

LA is a Lakers/Dodgers town. Rams are a distant 3rd. If they want to move up to a closer 3rd it would be nice for them to honor Kobe in some way at all home games. I think the city would appreciate it and maybe bring a few more fans over to the Rams. Maybe the Kobe jersey numbers 8 and 24 up somewhere where everyone can see them.

by aeneas1
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

maybe a memorial helmet decal would be a nice gesture...

z01.jpg

• 5 / 6
53 posts Apr 16 2024