RAMS FANS UNITED - NEWS FLASH
GET YOUR PIKCS IN:

RFU Suicide Game

RFU Pick 5

RFU Fantasy Football (Set Your Lineup)
CLOSE
43 posts
  • 4 / 5
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
 by PARAM
3 months ago
 Total posts:   4305  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:Lol, when you consider strokes per dollar I guess I get my money's worth too. :lol2:


LOL.

Reading over DB's post from a month ago, I expect the only way to get him on a golf course is the RFU invitational!!! The guy only lives 30 minutes from me, he's given me Yankee tickets but we've never got together to see a game (even a Trenton Thunder game). I'm gonna work on that for next year and maybe just maybe get him out on the golf course. I could use some pointers. :D

Right now I'm packing for Florida. Gonna be down there about 6 weeks until I come back for Christmas and New Years. Clubs are going in the trailer first!!! And speaking of baseball, when I go back down after New Years, I'm going to try and catch a spring training game or three. In all the years I've gone down there, never got to a Yankee's spring training game.

But the immediate plans are in about a week I'm gonna be on this course

 by snackdaddy
3 months ago
 Total posts:   6281  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:LOL.

Reading over DB's post from a month ago, I expect the only way to get him on a golf course is the RFU invitational!!! The guy only lives 30 minutes from me, he's given me Yankee tickets but we've never got together to see a game (even a Trenton Thunder game). I'm gonna work on that for next year and maybe just maybe get him out on the golf course. I could use some pointers. :D

Right now I'm packing for Florida. Gonna be down there about 6 weeks until I come back for Christmas and New Years. Clubs are going in the trailer first!!! And speaking of baseball, when I go back down after New Years, I'm going to try and catch a spring training game or three. In all the years I've gone down there, never got to a Yankee's spring training game.

But the immediate plans are in about a week I'm gonna be on this course


Sounds like you'll be having a blast down there. Florida's got tons of golf courses I hear. I flew over Phoenix a couple years ago and I saw quite a few courses there. I'm kinda limited to a couple courses unless I want to drive a little further. My home course is less than ten minutes. Another course is about twenty minutes. And a 3rd is around half an hour.

But if I'm willing to drive an hour there are a lot of choices. Modesto to the north of me and Fresno to the south. I might take in a course I used to play a lot in Fresno back in the 80's. They have some shorter par 4's. A couple are under 300 and a few more are under 350. My home course has some that hard for me reach in two from the white tees. Several from 400 to 440.

I know my grandson would try to drive the greens on the shorter ones in Fresno. A couple are in the 280 range. They may tease you with the reachable greens but they have bunkers completely around the front to the sides. You have to clear those, but then you risk the ball skipping off the green if you have that kind of length. I never drove any back in the day but I was pin high to the left or right many times. And in the bunkers too.

 by snackdaddy
3 months ago
 Total posts:   6281  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Well, it looks like golf might not be in the cards for me this trip. The weather report where I'm going is calling for snow and daytime highs around 30 all the way to the weekend. I've golfed in 40 degree weather but I'm sure the golf course won't let us play when its frozen. Greens get damaged that way. Just my luck there would be an early cold front when I travel up there. Looks like temps will be dropping everywhere. By Thursday it'll be around 20 degrees cooler than its been here in the central valley. But we're talking highs near 50 when I say cold.

I'll be taking my fishing poles at least. My in laws live on Lake Shastina next to the water. Fishing is supposed to be pretty decent there. I'll have to invest in tire chains and maybe a ski mask. I'm not used to that kind of weather.

 by snackdaddy
3 months ago
 Total posts:   6281  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Jeez, that was some kind of storm. Drove up Tuesday. Found out Interstate 5 was closed due to weather. Decided to stay in Red Bluff for the night and wait. Drove to Redding and the road is still closed ten miles to the north. Booked a room here because they were filling up fast with people waiting for the road to open.

I heard there were 67 cars and trucks that went off the icy road and 1 fatality. We said heck with it. Cancelled our room in Weed and decided to go back home. So now I'm here in the hotel room gonna check out in a couple hours and head back home. A 6 hour drive on Thanksgiving day. Gonna be one to remember. Thats for sure.

 by PARAM
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4305  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

Just got back from FLA for the holidays.....going back after the new year. I played 3 beautiful courses.....Jacaranda West CC, Sarasota National and Waterford, which has 3 nine hole courses you can combine any way. I had heard a lot about alligators on Florida courses and I got a close up and personal first hand experience with that. I saw some 6 -7 footers and a couple of bigger ones which appeared to be in the 10-12 foot range. But they don't bother anybody. Still anytime my ball is within a few yards of water, I take a careful look at the shallow water and bank before setting up my shot.

And I must say, it's been an international experience for me. As a single, you get paired up with random groups and so far I've golfed with a couple from NYC, a gentleman from Switzerland, a couple from England (who were a hoot) and a rowdy group (in two threesomes) from Wisconsin. I enjoyed all of them but had a blast with that last group. The refreshment girl's cart was stopped a number of times over the 18 holes.

 by dieterbrock
2 months ago
 Total posts:   11367  
 Joined:  Mar 31 2015
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Just got back from FLA for the holidays.....going back after the new year. I played 3 beautiful courses.....Jacaranda West CC, Sarasota National and Waterford, which has 3 nine hole courses you can combine any way. I had heard a lot about alligators on Florida courses and I got a close up and personal first hand experience with that. I saw some 6 -7 footers and a couple of bigger ones which appeared to be in the 10-12 foot range. But they don't bother anybody. Still anytime my ball is within a few yards of water, I take a careful look at the shallow water and bank before setting up my shot.

And I must say, it's been an international experience for me. As a single, you get paired up with random groups and so far I've golfed with a couple from NYC, a gentleman from Switzerland, a couple from England (who were a hoot) and a rowdy group (in two threesomes) from Wisconsin. I enjoyed all of them but had a blast with that last group. The refreshment girl's cart was stopped a number of times over the 18 holes.

That's terrific.
Back in another lifetime I lived on a golf course in Boynton Beach Fla in shared housing for the staff. Was quite friendly with one of the pro shop guys who worked as an assistant pro at Scioto country club in Columbus Ohio. That course btw is where Jack Nicklaus learned to play. (At 10 years old played 9 holes for first time and shot 51)
Anywho… playing golf there was great. Whether it was squeezing in 5 or 6 holes after work, playing 18-36 on the rare day off, or just hitting balls at night on the adjacent fairway to our dorm. But one thing is for sure, if the ball left the fairway, it would be a very brief glance for the ball. One close run in with a gator is all one needs to realize the relative inexpensiveness of an individual golf ball....
Sounds like you had a blast. That's great

 by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6281  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm glad you're having a great time there PA. Florida is just too far for me to travel. My planned trip and golf outing got ruined by the snow storm. I think maybe next time we plan a trip there it will be during the summer. Seems like every time we plan something well in advance the weather does something crazy. A few years ago we planned a camping trip to a popular lake. Had to reserve and pay for it a month ahead of time. When we get there it was a crazy record breaking heat wave. 111 degrees on the second day. Spent most of the time in the RV with the AC on. Was not fun. The normal temps that time of year is around mid 80's. Just my luck.

At least I live in an area where golf is year round. Rain is the only thing that keeps us away. And that isn't that often. Maybe a few days a month. It doesn't bother me to play golf in 40 degree weather. And that 40 is early in the morning. By afternoon its usually mid 50's. I'll be sticking around here for the winter.

 by faulkrram
2 months ago
 Total posts:   32  
 Joined:  Jan 13 2016
United States of America   Vermeil Country
Undrafted Free Agent

Right on snack! Glad your able to play with your grand son! Mine will be 2 in Feb. And my granddaughter is due in late Feb as well! Both will be hard core Lakers fans for sure! Hopefully Rams but they live in Oregon so we' ll see. They' re duck crazy there! Hope your doing well bud!!!

 by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6281  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

faulkrram wrote:Right on snack! Glad your able to play with your grand son! Mine will be 2 in Feb. And my granddaughter is due in late Feb as well! Both will be hard core Lakers fans for sure! Hopefully Rams but they live in Oregon so we' ll see. They' re duck crazy there! Hope your doing well bud!!!


Hey faulker. Good to see you. Your grandkids live in Oregon? Whatever you do, don't let them go to the dark side. (49er fans). One of my grandkids is a 49er fan because his father is. My daughter became one by default. Sticking with her husband.

But I lured the other two away from the 49ers. One is a Raider fan. Thats ok. My oldest son used to live in Oakland and is a big Raider fan. Those two became buds lately.

But the youngest is officially a Rams fan. He's more into video games than football so I figured I could sway him before his father got to him. 8-)

 by dieterbrock
1 week ago
 Total posts:   11367  
 Joined:  Mar 31 2015
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

So I guess this is our "All Things Golf Thread" and this would be the best place to post this....

Not sure if any of you hackers try to improve your game, but if you'd like some great pointers/tips and have access to Facebook or Youtube, I strongly advise looking up Rick Shiels
I've been a student of the game for over 40 years, have read just about every book there is, watched everything on video under the sun, and this guy is fantastic. His videos are pretty short and mostly get right to the point.

  • 4 / 5
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
43 posts Feb 28 2020