350 posts
  • 22 / 35
 by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:I think you need view Cashman with the lens of who the owner is/was. When it was The Boss Cashman operated in a whole different way. Since it's been the son who minimized those financial advantages you mentioned, he has literally changed himself into a different GM and then came the analytics which he has totally embraced. So with what he was told by Hal and the direction he (and Hal) wanted to go in regarding analytics I think he has done very very well to get the club to where it is today. Literally building it up to where we are today.

Sure nobody bats a .1000 but he's done some eye opening deals. Shown restraint where fans really wouldn't have. Graduated a core of home grown players who are all mega stars now and we are in contention for the last 2-3 season again and will be for the forseeable future.

I know its world series or bust but I don't think Cashman is the one holding us back from it.

Whether or not we agree disagree on Cashman, the view you have on spending is totally out of whack.
The financial advantages the Yankees have and rightly so take full advantage of, have not been altered. Not one bit. They spend more on scouting, training facilities, rookie contracts, international pool etc etc. their payroll has been top 1-3 for the last 20 years. They took 1 year to get under the threshold. It’s never been nor ever will be analytics over. dollars spent.
The “Hal is cheap” rhetoric was never true. They took on Stanton’s massive contract, they out bid everyone for Chapman, they had multiple all star closers on the payroll as mere set up men.
As for the great trades that have been pulled off? Gleyber for Chapman, Frazier for Miller, Judge for Swisher (kind of, sorta), Didi for Greene and Voit for a literal bag of shit.
Incredible and major kudos.
But a GM has to win. No other GM in mlb has a current 20 year tenure. Got to win.

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Shown restraint where fans really wouldn't have. Graduated a core of home grown players who are all mega stars now and we are in contention for the last 2-3 season again and will be for the forseeable future.

I know its world series or bust but I don't think Cashman is the one holding us back from it.

I agree 100% with this. Manny Machado? Bryce Harper? How much money did we save by not even seriously pursuing those two "mega stars"? The Phillies are fading and the Padres suck. Those two are really making a difference there eh?

DJ LeMahieu? What a steal. Gio Urshela? What a steal.

But......I also agree with this:
DieterBrock wrote:1 WS in 19 years is not good enough

However. He became Yankees GM in 1998. So he's got 4 Championships to his credit in 6 total World Series appearances. 12 Division Titles during that time and 6 second place finishes. Just 3 times have they finished below 2nd in the division. But the bottom line is they haven't won a World Series since 2009 and that's unacceptable for Yankee fans.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I agree 100% with this. Manny Machado? Bryce Harper? How much money did we save by not even seriously pursuing those two "mega stars"? The Phillies are fading and the Padres suck. Those two are really making a difference there eh?

DJ LeMahieu? What a steal. Gio Urshela? What a steal.

But......I also agree with this:

However. He became Yankees GM in 1998. So he's got 4 Championships to his credit in 6 total World Series appearances. 12 Division Titles during that time and 6 second place finishes. Just 3 times have they finished below 2nd in the division. But the bottom line is they haven't won a World Series since 2009 and that's unacceptable for Yankee fans.

Cmon. Giving Cashman credit for 98-2000 is like giving Barry Switzer credit for the Cowboys winning a SB.
Stick Michael built that team when George was in exile.
In any event, he’s done great things no doubt. But to not acknowledge his weakness isn’t being honest. His decisions regarding starting pitching has been spotty at best.

“But the bottom line is they haven't won a World Series since 2009 and that's unacceptable for Yankee fans”

Oh and not unacceptable to fans, it’s unacceptable to the Yankee way. George was nuts, but was always about winning championships.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

The one team I see getting the most talk when it comes to Madison Bumgarner rumors is the Yankees. But lately the Giants have been one of the hottest teams. They've played their way into contention only 2.5 games back of a playoff spot. Would the Giants trade Bumgarner now that they're actually in contention? Does this make the asking price higher if they do trade him?

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:The one team I see getting the most talk when it comes to Madison Bumgarner rumors is the Yankees. But lately the Giants have been one of the hottest teams. They've played their way into contention only 2.5 games back of a playoff spot. Would the Giants trade Bumgarner now that they're actually in contention? Does this make the asking price higher if they do trade him?

Giants have shown that all they need is to get in to the playoffs and then they can win the whole thing.
They’ll probably hold off for another week and if they are close they won’t trade him.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Giants have shown that all they need is to get in to the playoffs and then they can win the whole thing.
They’ll probably hold off for another week and if they are close they won’t trade him.

Yeah, they've had a history of getting hot at the right time. And finding obscure players who have career games at the right time. I remember their first World Series what Cody Ross did. A guy who was released by more than one team and all of sudden hitting clutch home runs in big games.

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

A sweep of Tampa has the Yankees looking good.

NYY 62 - 33 .653 --
TBay 56 - 43 .566 8 GB
Bsn 53 - 44 .546 10 GB

The best record in MLB 95 games into the season? How can that be with Stanton, Severino and Betances contributing nothing and Judge, Hicks, Gregorius missing a whole bunch of time? Weird......

Those red numbers are hard to make up.

But in the end, it will all be for naught if they can't land a legit starting pitcher for the postseason. Or not?

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:But in the end, it will all be for naught if they can't land a legit starting pitcher for the postseason. Or not?

It’s all for naught if they don’t get to the World Series, and realistically they need to win. (Though the Dodgers are so due there is no shame in losing a close series to them)
If they don’t get a starting pitcher and don’t make the WS? Heads gotta roll

Anyways, back to the “positive stuff”,

If the Yankees were to play 1 game over .500 ball the rest of the way (34-33) they’d still win 96 games.
Tampa would have to play .635 ball (40-23) and/or
The Sox would have to play .662 ball (43-22)
Just to tie
Wow. What a season

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Yankees and Dodgers World Series. Now that would bring back some memories for us old timers. Tommy Lasorda, Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, Steve Garvey. You know they would be showing some of those series.

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Yankees and Dodgers World Series. Now that would bring back some memories for us old timers. Tommy Lasorda, Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, Steve Garvey. You know they would be showing some of those series.

11 times. 41, 47, 49, 52, 53, 55, 56, 63, 77, 78 and 81. That's a historical matchup.

• 22 / 35
350 posts Apr 16 2024