816 posts
  • 66 / 82
 by snackdaddy
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

So far the Dodgers are coasting with a ten game lead almost halfway through the season. Hard to say if that's good or bad as far was trying to win a World Series. Two years ago they coasted and clinched the division early. They lost in the World Series. Last year they had to battle all the way to the end. Lost in the World Series again.

Some think its better to coast and have guys rested for October. You can set your pitching rotation and rest some guys. Some think the momentum of having the play meaningful games in September helps them in October. You keep that sharp mental edge. Dodgers have done both and came up short at the end each time. I wonder if the 3rd time's the charm?

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Lol, it was nice to see Dodger stadium trolling Bumgarner last night. Dodgers got 8 hits, 2 HR's and 5 runs in the 4th inning off of him. They had to relieve him in the middle of the inning and crowd gave him a lot of grief over it. The organ played had splash sounds on the PA. :lol2:

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Crazy weekend for the boys in blue. 3 straight walk off homers by 3 different rookies. Dodgers have done really well with finding youngsters who can contribute. Its a testament to their farm system.

13 game lead almost halfway through the season. Still a long way to go but that is a lot of games for the Rockies or anyone else in the division to make up. It would take both a big win streak by a division rival and a serious month long slump by the Dodgers to lose that lead. Something. I don't see either of those scenarios happening.

If the Dodgers go 46-37 the rest of the way they win 100 games. The Rockies would have to go 60-25. D-Backs and Padres would have to win even more than that. I know things can happen between now and October. But it looks like the Dodgers might be cruising to another division title this season. I'd be surprised if anyone made a serious run at them.

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I can't imagine any team in the NL West catching them, long way to go or not. Colorado is 4 games over .500, Arizona is sitting at .500 and San Diego 1 game under. San Fran? Sellers.

The Dodgers are #3 in winning percentage within their division (.718). Houston is #1 at .777 and the Yankees are #2 at .774. But the Dodgers are on pace for 109 wins. Houston 100 and the Yankees 104.

Right now L.A. would get Philly or Milwaukee. I don't see either of those two beating them. Chicago and Atlanta? That's a different story. Should be a great NLCS with either of those two against L.A..

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I can't imagine any team in the NL West catching them, long way to go or not. Colorado is 4 games over .500, Arizona is sitting at .500 and San Diego 1 game under. San Fran? Sellers.

The Dodgers are #3 in winning percentage within their division (.718). Houston is #1 at .777 and the Yankees are #2 at .774. But the Dodgers are on pace for 109 wins. Houston 100 and the Yankees 104.

Right now L.A. would get Philly or Milwaukee. I don't see either of those two beating them. Chicago and Atlanta? That's a different story. Should be a great NLCS with either of those two against L.A..

Two years ago I thought the Dodgers team was so stacked that was their best chance for a World Series championship. They fell one game short to another stacked team.

Last year, I wasn't even sure they were a playoff team. But they used their experience to make it to the World Series again. Losing to a much better team.

This year I didn't know what to think. I don't think they're as good as the 2017 team but they look better than the 2018 team. So who knows? I just know if you get there enough times, sooner or later you're the hot team who wins it.

Remember the Braves winning 13 divisions in a row a couple decades ago? They always seemed like one of the favorites but kept falling short. They finally won it one year. I can see the Dodgers finally having things fall their way if they keep getting there. It would be nice to get the monkey off their backs this year. Otherwise they might be compared to the Buffalo Bills of the 90's.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dodger offense has really slumped lately. Padres pitcher shut them down last week. But having a such a big lead in the division, they can afford a slump until they right the ship. I remember a few years ago they had two 8 game losing streaks the second half of the season and still won the division. Early wins count as much as late wins and they give you that cushion when the inevitable losing streak comes.

I think they're gonna be making some bullpen moves before the deadline. All offenses go into slumps once in a while, so they're not concerned with that. But they are concerned with the bullpen. That has been the lone disappointment in an otherwise solid season. And a bad bullpen can cost you a playoff series.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dodgers failed to acquire a high end reliever. If there is anything that will prevent them from winning the NL this year, it could be the bullpen. Jansen and Baez are pretty good, but Jansen has not been on the level he was in previous years.

Joe Kelly has been a disappointment so far. But he has shown signs of coming around the past couple months. If he can return to last year's playoff form, that would go a long way to shoring up the bullpen.

Looks like the Dodgers valued their top prospects more than relief help. Gavin Lux looks like the heir apparent for shortstop when they eventually move Seager to 3rd base. Dustin May's scheduled for his first start. He's been pitcher of the week in Triple A a couple times already. Odds of a prospect coming in and pitching well are not uncommon. But carrying that pitching into the postseason is not common.

Hopefully someone can be that 4th starter in October so Maeda can move to the bullpen. He's been much more effective in that role than as a starter during the playoffs.

by Flash
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:Dodgers failed to acquire a high end reliever. If there is anything that will prevent them from winning the NL this year, it could be the bullpen. Jansen and Baez are pretty good, but Jansen has not been on the level he was in previous years.

Joe Kelly has been a disappointment so far. But he has shown signs of coming around the past couple months. If he can return to last year's playoff form, that would go a long way to shoring up the bullpen.

Looks like the Dodgers valued their top prospects more than relief help. Gavin Lux looks like the heir apparent for shortstop when they eventually move Seager to 3rd base. Dustin May's scheduled for his first start. He's been pitcher of the week in Triple A a couple times already. Odds of a prospect coming in and pitching well are not uncommon. But carrying that pitching into the postseason is not common.

Hopefully someone can be that 4th starter in October so Maeda can move to the bullpen. He's been much more effective in that role than as a starter during the playoffs.

Hoping Rich Hill gets back sometime soon and can be effective.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Flash wrote:Hoping Rich Hill gets back sometime soon and can be effective.

Yeah, I forgot about him. Hopefully he comes back soon enough to get some games under his belt and be ready for the playoffs. He's had a history of pitching well in the post season. He could allow them to put Maeda in the bullpen and shore up that area.

by Flash
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:Yeah, I forgot about him. Hopefully he comes back soon enough to get some games under his belt and be ready for the playoffs. He's had a history of pitching well in the post season. He could allow them to put Maeda in the bullpen and shore up that area.

He got yanked too early in the WS last year that's for sure. I'm thinking the two young guns May and Gonsolin will get an opportunity to help in the bullpen down the stretch and into the playoffs.

• 66 / 82
816 posts Apr 20 2024