35 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by TomSlick
5 years 5 days ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Horny Mcbae wrote:It's the first time I ever saw a Daytona in the flesh. Mesmerizing.

Singapore was awesome. Their public transport system is amazing. No issues at all travelling around. The heat and humidity tho………. god damn.

As in a Shelby Daytona Coupe (Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe)?
Laguna Seca 3 years ago.

My wife did a business trip to Malaysia for a month...yeah, humid.

IMG_1565.JPG
Add description

by TomSlick
5 years 5 days ago
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

PARAM wrote:Here's a good list. I'd still put GranPrix #1. Senna, LeMans would be right up there.

Yeah, "Senna" was a good one. I'd also add "Rush", Ron Howard's movie about James Hunt and Nikki Lauda.

I used to race Formula Mazdas through the Jim Russell racing school. Senna was the unquestioned hero of the majority of the drivers.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 5 days ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

TomSlick wrote:As in a Shelby Daytona Coupe (Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe)?
Laguna Seca 3 years ago.

My wife did a business trip to Malaysia for a month...yeah, humid.

IMG_1565.JPG

Ferrari GTB Daytona of course.

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I had a James Hunt poster on my wall when i was in high school, and i see Niki Lauda just died, that was the era i knew anything about F1...

by PARAM
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I had a James Hunt poster on my wall when i was in high school, and i see Niki Lauda just died, that was the era i knew anything about F1...

James Hunt was the shit!! I saw him race live from 1973-1976. First time was in a Hesketh, a race car completely clear of advertising. Just bright white with a red stripe, blue stripe and the number 24. Oh it certainly had the British Flag decal near the cockpit.

Lauda was hated by many (much like Brady is in football). He was a great driver and to race just 3 or 4 weeks after getting his ear burned off, his lungs seared, his hands, face burned badly and receiving last rites is unequalled in sports. He should have got a medal just for getting the crash helmet on.

Yesterday in Monaco, Lewis Hamilton had a Lauda drive. On lap 29 of 78 while in the lead, his team told him to manage his tires. He told them he doubted they'd make it. After 78 laps and never giving up the lead he won it for Niki (a member of his Mercedes team) and it was laughable how bad his front tires were. It was a gem in memory of a jewel.

by PARAM
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Controversy today in Canada. Vettel makes a huge mistake and as Hamilton is trying to pass him, Vettel cuts him off. But truthfully there was nothing else Vettel could have done. He was on the grass at 100 MPH. So the stewards give him a 5 second penalty and Hamilton wins. As a Hamilton fan I'm happy but as a Formula 1 fan I'm also disappointed. It was nothing more than a racing incident IMHO.

by TomSlick
4 years 7 months ago
Superstar

OK, finally completed all 24 hours of race coverage of Le Mans. Watched the pre-race and post-race coverage as well. A few observations in no particular order...

Motor Trend covered this year's race for the first time. Overall, not bad. However, a few gripes:
1) Pre-race coverage was brutal as the background noise made hearing commentary and interviews almost impossible to comprehend. Next time, how about some better microphones or whatever.
2) The announcing crew was not as good as year's past. My biggest complaint here was they wouldn't shut up long enough to hear the motors of these fantastic cars. Only one time in 24 hours did they say, "let's listen to this Porsche go through the gears." The other time the MICs stopped working for about 10 seconds and we got to hear the cars...it was a heavenly 10 seconds. Previous year's announcers would always let you hear the motors when the French based cameras dropped into onboard cameras inside the cars. It was great to hear all the different sounds of the various makes of cars in year's past. Not this year.

LMP1 - the big dog class was a joke. Two Toyotas blew out the field, as there was no discernible competition in this class. Sad. Then to further annoy everyone, team Toyota orders came down with about 30 minutes remaining, "Not to race anymore". Great, finally, some competition in this class as the two Toyotas looked to go to the wire and Toyota pussies out.

by TomSlick
4 years 7 months ago
Superstar

And to finish it off...
Tom Kristensen and his buddy (the guy with the constantly changing shirts) were topflight. Great insight from the 9-time Le Mans champ.

This was the first time that all 24 hours were televised on TV. No jumping over to a computer to watch half the race. Really cool to just record the whole fricken thing.

GT racing in the two classes (GT PRO, GT AM) was excellent.

Not sure I see a purpose for LMP2, then again I never have. I get it, cheaper prototype racing but doesn't rock my world. The winner there blew out the field.

by TomSlick
4 years 7 months ago
Superstar

PARAM wrote:But truthfully there was nothing else Vettel could have done. He was on the grass at 100 MPH. So the stewards give him a 5 second penalty and Hamilton wins. As a Hamilton fan I'm happy but as a Formula 1 fan I'm also disappointed. It was nothing more than a racing incident IMHO.

Well said. Stuff happens at speed, no penalty.

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

I will say this. Lewis Hamilton didn't win the Belgian GP today but if he had 2 more laps, he would have won. Despite the Ferraris being so much faster on the straights, Hamilton is such a phenominal driver, he passed Vettel and was creeping up Leclerc's ass at the finish. Granted, he's had the good luck to have raced for McLaren when they were still a good team and now Mercedes, who have dominated the sport the last 4 or 5 years. But the dude is a great driver. I watched every race they ran so far and I saw him win (I forget which race) when his tires were practically rotting off the wheels. He will become just the 3rd 5-time Formula 1 Champion by years end (tying Juan Miguel Fangio and 2 behind Michael Schumacher).

• 3 / 4
35 posts Apr 15 2024