4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

St. Loser Fan wrote:Supposedly it used to be that when a MLB team was in the league series they are supposed to book local hotel for the visiting team in the other league in case they make it to the World Series. In 2004 the Red Sox booked a hotel nearly 20 miles outside Boston/from Fenway and nearly 25 miles from Logan International. The Cardinals griped about the hour long bus rides and the pretty shoddy food spread the hotel laid out: which included lukewarm hot dogs and overdone chicken wings. They also didn't have a vegetarian meal for manager Tony LaRussa.

After that they changed it to where the league or the visiting team would secure hotels.

In addition the visiting locker room at TD Garden in Boston is the about the worst in the NHL.
https://www.boston.com/sports/nhl/2019/ ... in-the-nhl

That reminded me, back in the early 80's during an afternoon NBA finals game between the Lakers and Celts, the Lakers complained that the AC was turned off in their locker room. It apparently worked everywhere else. Magic said it was hotter than a sauna in there.
Miraculously the AC came back on again a bit after the game ended... :evil2:

by snackdaddy
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:That reminded me, back in the early 80's during an afternoon NBA finals game between the Lakers and Celts, the Lakers complained that the AC was turned off in their locker room. It apparently worked everywhere else. Magic said it was hotter than a sauna in there.
Miraculously the AC came back on again a bit after the game ended... :evil2:

I remember that. Pretty petty thing to do. At the time I heard it on TV I thought it was the whole arena they were talking about.

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

snackdaddy wrote:I remember that. Pretty petty thing to do. At the time I heard it on TV I thought it was the whole arena they were talking about.

I recant my previous recollection. After your response I searched it and you are correct, it was the whole joint. I remembered incorrectly.
1 cheating team theory dispelled. :oops2:

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/epic- ... 84-finals/

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Lol, its gonna be an interesting year for the Astros. I can imagine how creative some signs will be when they play on the road. Some will be downright funny.

Altuve and Bregman finally talked about it. They vehemently denied the reports about wearing an electronic buzzer. But they never really denied any of the other stuff. Obviously the trash can banging and whistling must be true. I haven't seen anyone from the Astros come out and say "We never cheated".

I suppose you can't punish the players because who do you punish? I'm sure they all knew about it but unless they were checking the feed and banging the can themselves, what can you do. If it can't be proven they wore devices, the only thing the league can do is what it has already done. I'm pretty sure they won't vacate the title. That would severely damage the league.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Lol, the memes are out.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Lol, its gonna be an interesting year for the Astros. I can imagine how creative some signs will be when they play on the road. Some will be downright funny.

My money is on Yankees fans (and of course I admit I'm partial). I remember the 2001 World Series when a reporter asked Curt Schilling if he worried about the mystique and aura of Yankee Stadium. "Mystique and Aura are dancers in a nightclub" he said. The next night a couple of Yankee fans sitting at the rail in right field had the sign "Mystique and Aura Appearing Nightly". If we remember the Yankees were down 2 runs in the 9th of game 4 with 2 outs and Tino Martinez hit a game tying homer. Then in game 5 under the exact same conditions in the 9th, Scott Brosius hit a game tying homer. The Yankees won both of those games. Of course Mystique and Aura didn't travel with the team (I imagine some of the Yankee wives weren't happy about it 8-) )and they lost that series. But......they were 3 outs away from 4 straight World Series Championships.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I read an article that quoted Jack McDowell and he claims LaRussa had a similar scheme in Chicago during the 80's. But he also said back then you didn't get thrown out for throwing at a batter. When they suspected somebody was stealing signs, the catcher would call for a curve and they'd throw a fastball up and in. Cross them up and they're likely to tell their mates, "forget about letting me know what's coming, you're gonna get me killed".

Olney has a video on ESPN where he says pitchers are going to throw at the Asstros this season, to let them know how angry everybody is about their cheating methods. Usually, if a guy is guilty, he'll let it go once or twice early in the season, depending on the team and the pitcher but after that there might be some interesting brawls. I'd think to some guys, Altuve's and Bregman's style comes off as old school hustle and to others modern cockiness. Add to the later the cheating scandel and I think the Asstros are in for a tough year.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I read an article that quoted Jack McDowell and he claims LaRussa had a similar scheme in Chicago during the 80's. But he also said back then you didn't get thrown out for throwing at a batter. When they suspected somebody was stealing signs, the catcher would call for a curve and they'd throw a fastball up and in. Cross them up and they're likely to tell their mates, "forget about letting me know what's coming, you're gonna get me killed".

I wouldn't doubt LaRussa given the 'roid history of his players in Oakland and St. Louis.

The only issue I have with McDowell's claim is the cameras, lenses and standard def TV resolution back in the 1980's. Could you really pick up hand signals with back then?

• 12 / 16
151 posts Apr 18 2024