Hope it is not a mud bowl.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

by Elvis
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38806  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Would they even play on a mud bowl type field anymore? I guess the answer is yes but they moved the Mexico game and this isn't the 70's, field conditions and player safety is a pretty big deal nowadays...

by St. Loser Fan
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   10564  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

How rainy has it been in LA? Nobody has played on the field for two week so shouldn't it be in decent shape even if it does rain?

by ramsman34
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8645  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

St. Loser Fan wrote:How rainy has it been in LA? Nobody has played on the field for two week so shouldn't it be in decent shape even if it does rain?

One would think, especially after the Mex City debacle, that field condition is a top priority. I am sure the NFL is on this big time, as are the groundskeepers at the Coli.

by SpeedRacer
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Does the Coli ever tarp the field? Based on the forecast it seems like if the did that on Friday the field should be in really good shape on Saturday. (?)

Go Rams!

by ramsman34
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8645  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

SpeedRacer wrote:Does the Coli ever tarp the field? Based on the forecast it seems like if the did that on Friday the field should be in really good shape on Saturday. (?)

Go Rams!

I would have to guess that they do and that it will be tarped each day that heavy rain is expected - especially Friday

by ramsfan1977
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Could be worse. Chargers are getting 5 inches of snow in New England Sunday. Next Time win your division and you would have had a BYE.

by snackdaddy
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9692  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Would they even play on a mud bowl type field anymore? I guess the answer is yes but they moved the Mexico game and this isn't the 70's, field conditions and player safety is a pretty big deal nowadays...

Wasn't there a USC game the night before the mud bowl game? I'm not a hundred percent sure but I thought it was mentioned as part of the reason for the deteriorating field condition.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure how accurate weather reports are 5 or 6 days ahead. They're usually right about any systems coming in but I've seen many times it takes a day longer than predicted to get here. Its something to keep an eye on as it gets closer.

by SpeedRacer
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

The '77 Mud Bowl had a High School Championship game (or 2) played the day before.

I think I cried after that game. It was horrible watching Pat Haden try to throw. At one point I recall he got up after a sack he had a mud pile on his helmet. Looked like a pile o' sh**.

Go Rams!

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:How rainy has it been in LA? Nobody has played on the field for two week so shouldn't it be in decent shape even if it does rain?

It rained A LOT on Saturday night and has been drizzling steadily half the day today since early morning.

I texted me USC buddy who attends all games and is an alum and according to him Coliseum/USC does own full field covers but he has never seen them being used which could just be coincidental.

I am trying to rake my brain and think about the 2017 winter when it rained a lot...…. I can't remember seeing the full field cover during that uncharacteristically heavy rainy season.

• 1 / 12
115 posts May 26 2024