211 posts
  • 21 / 22
 by max
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   5590  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Yeah, this isn't Peyton Manning level stuff we're talking about but it was a necessary speed bump to get past. If I had to guess, I'd say McVay was really disappointed about not advancing further last year and it was kind of lingering. That until they advanced in the playoffs the regular season stuff wasn't satisfying.

I totally agree with all of that.

I think McVay getting sick coming out of the BYE week was a very big deal. He wasn't at practice after the Detroit game, staying home recovering. I think he was knocked off his game. Also, after the Chiefs win, I think he was in "I just want to get to the playoffs mode".

The Bears and Eagles losses threw him for a loop and he had to circle the wagons, make some big changes and get Goff back on course. I'm not sure where Goff is now, he makes some great throws and other times he looks like he's aiming the ball because he's still a bit shell shocked from all those turnovers after the bye. The hope is now that they got that first playoff win under their belt they can play it loose and just let it rip.

I know you asked what is Goff's potential and is he playing up to it. My view is that his potential is significantly higher than he's playing right now. You don't play like Goff did against Minny without having a high bar. There are only a couple of guys in the world capable of making the throws he made in that game. He didn't make them all by luck.

by dieterbrock
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I think it was a HUGE monkey off McVay's back.

He's so focused, I honestly wonder if he cares about whats being said in the media. I assume he does, because of the social media world we live in, I just cant see avoiding it.
This whole narrative that recently popped up after his coaching tree expanded, which goes along the lines of, "What has this guy done for his assistants to get jobs" had to be a monkey on the back.
Well, its gone now and who knows, just might have gotten a couple more coaches promotions....

by aeneas1
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

10:01 wrote:There were lots of Cowboys fans but they seemed really good natured, at least in our section and dodging the mud puddles on the South Lawn. One great moment before the game was when the Rams special teamers came out, were booed by the Cowboys fans and they were immediately drowned out by Rams cheers. That sort of set the tone. I haven’t been to a Rams home game before where everyone stood up, front row to top row, the whole time. It felt like the SEC. It was great.

when watching the rams play at home on the tube, it's often pretty easy to tell just how big of an opposing team's fanbase is in attendance, it tends to come across the airwaves loud and clear, like the rams/packers game, but i didn't sense that at all watching the rams/cowboys game, rams fans came across loud and clear on the 'ol tube!

by Elvis
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38757  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

McVay completely turned the Rams around his first season, took a perennial loser won 11 games, the division, won COY so i hardly see losing his first and only playoff game as a huge monkey on his back.

And his 2nd year has been even better, more wins, first round bye, on to the the NFC Championship game, it's all good...

by aeneas1
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:McVay completely turned the Rams around his first season, took a perennial loser won 11 games, the division, won COY so i hardly see losing his first and only playoff game as a huge monkey on his back.

yeah, never got that take either, mcvay was an unqualified success last season, he, his bosses, and his players had to be thrilled with not only the season they had, but the direction the franchise clearly appeared to be headed.

by moklerman
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I totally agree with all of that.

I think McVay getting sick coming out of the BYE week was a very big deal. He wasn't at practice after the Detroit game, staying home recovering. I think he was knocked off his game. Also, after the Chiefs win, I think he was in "I just want to get to the playoffs mode".

The Bears and Eagles losses threw him for a loop and he had to circle the wagons, make some big changes and get Goff back on course. I'm not sure where Goff is now, he makes some great throws and other times he looks like he's aiming the ball because he's still a bit shell shocked from all those turnovers after the bye. The hope is now that they got that first playoff win under their belt they can play it loose and just let it rip.

I know you asked what is Goff's potential and is he playing up to it. My view is that his potential is significantly higher than he's playing right now. You don't play like Goff did against Minny without having a high bar. There are only a couple of guys in the world capable of making the throws he made in that game. He didn't make them all by luck.
I have tried to remind myself that the Rams clinching so early likely had an impact but the expectations keep conflicting with that idea. But it's only natural to let down a little bit when the games aren't absolutely critical.

I think McVay has really grown in a short time and his willingness to adapt and go completely in a different direction on offense is proof of that to me. I was so thrilled he didn't outsmart himself and try and outsmart the Cowboys by passing when everyone was expecting the run.

Of course, that leaves me wondering what he'll do against the Saints. The Saints looked very beatable but I'm not sure how he's going to try and attack them.

by max
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   5590  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I have tried to remind myself that the Rams clinching so early likely had an impact but the expectations keep conflicting with that idea. But it's only natural to let down a little bit when the games aren't absolutely critical.

I think McVay has really grown in a short time and his willingness to adapt and go completely in a different direction on offense is proof of that to me. I was so thrilled he didn't outsmart himself and try and outsmart the Cowboys by passing when everyone was expecting the run.

Of course, that leaves me wondering what he'll do against the Saints. The Saints looked very beatable but I'm not sure how he's going to try and attack them.

That’s fair. I wasn’t sure how McVay would handle Dallas. Thing is, he showed me he’s Brilliant. One thing I learned is that it’s easier for smart people to recognize brilliance than not so smart people.

Kind of goes back to reading Lord of the Flies, and recalling the symbolism of Piggy’s glasses.

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   2187  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

It doesn't sound like the talking heads are giving much credit to Gurley or Goff.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... eles:index

gfoster: Let’s stay in the NFC and talk about the Rams. Are we feeling better about them? They survived another tough road contest at home this weekend.

neil: I loved how they completely ran over the Cowboys D.

joshua.hermsmeyer: The fact that there isn’t a top 10 defense left in the playoffs confirms all my priors and warms my cockles.

neil: Who knew CJ Anderson would be such an effective featured back? Or, like, their featured back at ALL?

Salfino: The Rams had 51.3 percent play success, which is oddly exactly what the Patriots registered. CJ Anderson was hilarious in killing all the Gurley DFS guys but actually quite effective. A generational talent, some may say.

gfoster: Gurley got his points, though.

neil: (Kinda speaks to your story earlier this season, Josh, about Gurley being kind of a product of McVay and that offensive scheme.)

joshua.hermsmeyer: That (incredibly large) hole Gurley ran through for his long TD was so much not Gurley it was amazing.

Salfino: Is Gurley like Marshall Faulk with the St. Louis Rams, “the queen on the chessboard,” or is he replaceable? I would have thought the former, for sure.

neil: One thing on the Rams is that Goff didn’t necessarily play all that well. Again.

gfoster: Imagine what Zeke would do in that Rams offense. Because he seems to have to work for every yard, regardless of how much praise the Dallas O-line used to get or maybe still gets.

Salfino: Yeah, I have a hard time envisioning Goff beating Brees in New Orleans. Huge home-road splits for Goff, too. Does Jason Garrett get that extension still?

joshua.hermsmeyer: I saw a report that Garrett will get extended. Does anyone think he deserves it?

Salfino: The Cowboys offense is good if it’s working but if it’s not working, Garrett never seems to be able to figure something out on the fly. Garrett is weird in that he’s a CEO coach, but is so closely tied to the offense, which he doesn’t really run.

So what is Garrett’s value, really? Managing the staff? Managing the game? I think when you are a CEO coach you have to have a really strong personality like a Bill Parcells, be that “leader of men.” This is not Garrett, IMO. He just seems easily replaceable.

joshua.hermsmeyer: He is elite at clapping.

Salfino: Lombardi ended his clapping, which is sad.

neil: Yeah, I don’t understand Jerry Jones’s fascination with Garrett. It’s like they were looking for ANY excuse whatsoever to extend him.

gfoster: I just don’t think it’s a desirable job to coach with Jerry breathing down your neck.

Salfino: Remember, Jones doesn’t want a strong personality that will basically kick him out of the locker room and tell him to stay in his owner’s lane.

neil: He’s going to end up being one of the longest tenured coaches ever, and his record will pale in comparison with the others in the conversation. (Except maybe Marvin Lewis.)

joshua.hermsmeyer: For all the grief Jones gets, he does seem incredibly loyal, and that is a terrific boss to have in a league like the NFL that moves on from most coaches far too quickly. Stability does have value.

Salfino: He is basically Marvin Lewis, who also was a CEO coach without a really strong personality/culture. Tell that to Jimmy Johnson🙂:

gfoster: Going back to Rams-Saints: The Saints lost their starting DT, Sheldon Rankins, to a possible torn Achilles. That’s a big loss, especially to be down a big interior lineman against the Rams.

joshua.hermsmeyer: Mike, good point about Jimmy Johnson.

neil: The way the Rams were clearing space against Dallas was unreal. According to ESPN Stats & Info Group, the Rams rushed 33 times for 195 yards and averaged 4.1 yards per carry before first contact between the tackles.

Salfino: Maybe that will trick the Rams into running even more, especially on first down, right Josh?

joshua.hermsmeyer: You never want to lose a starter, but if I had to pick a position to lose, give me DT.

gfoster: That’s fair.

Salfino: Exactly right. If it’s a pass rusher DT, OK, that’s worrisome. But there are only like one of those and he’s on the other team. Where are the big plays in the Rams passing game? They’re going to need some, I’m certain, to win.

neil: True, their longest reception vs. Dallas was a 21-yarder to Brandin Cooks.

Salfino: 186 passing yards on 28 attempts is not the Rams offense from October, for sure.

joshua.hermsmeyer: With the loss of Rankins and their success with play-action, I would think the shot plays would come there. The linebackers may try to make up for Rankins’s loss by cheating a bit more than usual.

Salfino: Are they still successful at play-action, Josh? I think that’s debatable.

joshua.hermsmeyer: They did OK with it against Dallas I think.

neil: Yes, Goff was 6-of-11 for 108 yards off play-action vs the Cowboys. That’s not as amazing as their early-season standards. But it’s still much better than when he passed without play-action.

by ramsman34
5 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Flash wrote:7C64A4B2-9E44-4D4F-A616-CB415E303468.jpeg

Left to right Chuck, Elvis, SWADude and Flash!

Chuck, not sure if we have met.
Elvis, I am wearing THAT SHIRT right now! How's the "house divided" going?
SWA, you are a big dude! A. Just didn't picture that. B. How in fucks sake do you feel comfortable in the cockpit - you could play o-line for the Rams!
Flash, don't think I've met you either.

You guys look like you are either about to have a blast, or just did!!!!

Way to represent!!!

• 21 / 22
211 posts May 15 2024