314 posts
  • 1 / 32
 by max
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I still remember how bad he looked in Denver. I think his QB rating was 58.8

I expect him to be average at best in Chicago.

It would show me a lot if he is not "off" again.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I still remember how bad he looked in Denver. I think his QB rating was 58.8

I expect him to be average at best in Chicago.

It would show me a lot if he is not "off" again.

Remember he was nearly as off in Detroit where weather was not a factor.

So weather isn't what the Lions and Broncos games have in common.

by Elvis
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

So far Denver is our only cold weather (sub freezing) data point, if i'm remembering right, so will be interesting to see how Goff and the passing offense do in Chicago where it's probably also going to be below freezing...

by ramsfan1977
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Pound Gurley early then open it up. BTW, who will back up at Running Back this week? Brown might be out. Davis or Kelly?

by Ramsdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

ramsfan1977 wrote:Pound Gurley early then open it up. BTW, who will back up at Running Back this week? Brown might be out. Davis or Kelly?

Pounding Gurley might be hard to do against that D. I think we need to keep Khalil Mack off of Goff more than anything. Run plays that put Mack in coverage just like we did against Barr when we played Minny. If he can give Goff time to throw...we win this game.

by Elvis
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

ramsfan1977 wrote:Pound Gurley early then open it up. BTW, who will back up at Running Back this week? Brown might be out. Davis or Kelly?

Davis has been active a lot more than Kelly. (Has Kelly been active at all this year?) But maybe that's more about special teams and the decision will be different when we're talking about RB duties.

BTW, i believe Pharoh Cooper was going to be our backup RB if needed once Brown went down...

by Ramsdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Davis has been active a lot more than Kelly. (Has Kelly been active at all this year?) But maybe that's more about special teams and the decision will be different when we're talking about RB duties.

BTW, i believe Pharoh Cooper was going to be our backup RB if needed once Brown went down...

Is Brown's injury serious? I hope not! As for Cooper, I am just not impressed with him. He's bringing kicks out of the EZ when he should take a knee. He looks slow since the injury and might be trying to be a "hero" on KO's and IMO, he's not a great WR either. Maybe not even a very good WR for that matter. Average at best! Give me more of Hodge at WR before Cooper. I absolutely never want to see him at RB!!

He had a good year last year, (not counting his playoff disaster)I will give him that but I would not be disappointed if we moved on from him after this year.

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsfan1977 wrote:Davis or Kelly?

We'll see what they think of the two of them if Malcolm Brown can't go. I want to see Davis but Kelly looked real good in preseason.

by max
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Remember he was nearly as off in Detroit where weather was not a factor.

So weather isn't what the Lions and Broncos games have in common.

The Saints D has been as good as the Lions D this year and Goff had a rating of 115.7 in New Orleans.

Of course its harder against a good D on the road for any QB, but in the cold is tougher for some QBs. And Goff looks to be one of them.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:The Saints D has been as good as the Lions D this year and Goff had a rating of 115.7 in New Orleans.

Of course its harder against a good D on the road for any QB, but in the cold is tougher for some QBs. And Goff looks to be one of them.

I don't think the "on paper as good" thing is the issue. Patricia had an extra three days (because of playing a Thursday game the week before) to prepare a defense designed to throw the Rams off-track. Given his pedigree, Patricia could do that. And in fact that's half of what (a very good) Spielman talked about all game--the extent to which Detroit, unlike pretty much anyone else, was reading Rams plays at the snap, something which the entire Rams offense is built around avoiding (which is why they run so many different kinds of plays out of the same formations).

There are three games where Goff was not his normal self. At Seattle, Denver, and Detroit. In each case it's a defense on the road which may not rank as high as the best (though Seattle is top 10) but which as it happens threw things at the Rams and Goff they (and he) had not seen.

Spielman for example went overboard explaining how it is Lions defenders sniffed out those 2 screens for 2 near-pick 6s.

Those three games all have several things in common, and weather was a factor in only one of them.

Not saying weather won't be a factor in Chicago, but they also have a defense capable of pulling off the kinds of things Denver, Seattle (in Seattle) and Detroit did. Seattle is Seattle, Denver had those pass rushers, and Detroit had Patricia with extra days to gameplan. I would just say that New Orleans didn't crack the code to the same extent those 3 did.

In contrast, Goff against top defenses at home (Chargers, Seattle) did very well.

I think of those 3 games where he did not do as well and try to come up with things they have in common. That way all 3 of Goff's lesser games come into the equation.

• 1 / 32
314 posts Apr 19 2024