by Elvis
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38457  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 04121.html

"Fire in the Hole!": Implosion Demolishes Hollywood Park Racetrack Grandstand
By Asher Klein and Vanessa Ruiz

The iconic Hollywood Park Racetrack grandstand, which played host to 75 years of horse racing fans, was destroyed Sunday morning in a controlled implosion.

The 6 a.m. implosion in Inglewood was watched by "Bring Back the Rams" fans, according to Inglewood Mayor James Butts. Destroying the grandstand clears the way for a proposed $2 billion football stadium, entertainment and residential complex.

"The Forum was the economic revival center for the city and this becomes a development that catapults us to national prominence in terms of economic development, sports and entertainment," Butts said.

Built in 1938 and closed in 2013, the racetrack sits next to The Forum, a concert venue that at different times played host to the following Los Angeles sports teams: the Lakers, Kings, Clippers and Sparks.

The roughly 300-acre racetrack site is at the heart of St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke's plan to return sports to Inglewood with an 80,000-seat stadium.

A concert venue, hotel and retail, office and residential space would be built in the development, approved by Inglewood City Council February 24 but still not guaranteed to bring Kroenke's Rams to the Southland. It's one of two major contenders to host a Los Angeles-based NFL team, along with a $1.7 billion proposed stadium that would host the Raiders and Chargers in Carson.

"It's a good first step. The Rams will be here," said Javier Quinones, a Rams fan who came to watch the implosion Sunday morning.
Another part of the structure was not part of Sunday's demolition. It was planned for demolition at a later date.

by Elvis
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38457  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html

Hollywood Park grandstands imploded to make way for proposed stadium

By AUSTIN KNOBLAUCH

The NFL's return to Los Angeles is still up in the air, but the same can't be said for Hollywood Park's old grandstands.

Demolition crews imploded the nearly 75-year-old grandstands at the closed race track Sunday morning, moving forward with a proposed plan to build an NFL stadium as part of a multipurpose commercial development on Inglewood site.

Onlookers cheered as the grandstands came down after charges went off shortly after 6 a.m. The site is scheduled to be cleared out in the months ahead in preparation for the proposed stadium, which is scheduled to break ground in December.

St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke announced plans in January to build the 80,000-seat stadium. The Rams haven't said whether they plan to move back to Los Angeles, but the team is in a year-to-year lease with Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams aren't the only NFL team eyeing the Los Angeles market. In February, the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers announced plans to jointly build a stadium in Carson. Neither team, however, has said whether they plan to relocate.

by den-the-coach
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

Someone actually posted that the Stadium is going to the North End and the Grandstands are on the south end so one has nothing to do with the other. I almost spit out my beverage reading the retort. Almost Home!

by Hacksaw
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Actually den, those are correct statements. I know that area well and the Hollywood Park site is on the south east end of the parcel, where the stadium is being built over by the forum which is on the northwest end of the parcel.

I still wholeheartedly believe they're coming, however I am keeping my radar on full alert until Carson goes away.

• 1 / 1
5 posts Apr 19 2024