15 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by /zn/
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Some red herrings here IMO.

Yes the current Rams regime values intelligence. That was clear already last year.

But not intelligence in isolation. Always in combination with other key factors, such as college production and instincts and the normal measurables.

So they're not going to draft a 5'7"120 lb defensive end just cause he's smart. 8-)

What they ARE willing to sacrifice, looks like, is level of competition in college. Not completely, not with every pick, but that's there in their picks.

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

/zn/ wrote:Some red herrings here IMO.

Yes the current Rams regime values intelligence. That was clear already last year.

But not intelligence in isolation. Always in combination with other key factors, such as college production and instincts and the normal measurables.

So they're not going to draft a 5'7"120 lb defensive end just cause he's smart. 8-)

What they ARE willing to sacrifice, looks like, is level of competition in college. Not completely, not with every pick, but that's there in their picks.

:roll2:

by /zn/
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

zn: What they ARE willing to sacrifice, looks like, is level of competition in college. Not completely, not with every pick, but that's there in their picks.

Elmgrovegnome: :roll2:

Well no I think that's true.

Last year their top 5 picks included a guy from South Alabama and 2 guys from Eastern Washington.

This year along with traditional places like Michigan State, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, they had guys from SF Austin and Maine.

The last guy drafted from SF Austin was in 2011, by, interestingly, the Rams.

Lol. It's okay. I know your snarky dismissal was aimed at my making fun of the poster or 2 who basically said "intelligence is not the only important factor in playing in the NFL" as if anyone thought it was.

by aeneas1
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Well, intelligence, game savvy and toughness can't overcome lack of the physical attributes. My sister was scored with a 172 IQ and could throw a football or baseball like a guy. A tremendous athlete but never grew taller than 5'2". She lettered in every sport in high school but never got an invite to even play college ball.

yep... some time ago two of the top performing college qbs were under 5'11", they didn't get a sniff in the nfl draft, not even as ufa, one of the guys put up spectacular numbers, refresh my memory you cfb fans.... anyway, a quick search shows that only 9 (2.8%) of the 320 nfl qbs that have seen action in at least 1 game dating back to the 2000 season (the last 18 years) were listed as shorter than 6'0". :shock2:

by R4L
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:zn: What they ARE willing to sacrifice, looks like, is level of competition in college. Not completely, not with every pick, but that's there in their picks.

Elmgrovegnome: :roll2:

Well no I think that's true.

Last year their top 5 picks included a guy from South Alabama and 2 guys from Eastern Washington.

This year along with traditional places like Michigan State, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, they had guys from SF Austin and Maine.

The last guy drafted from SF Austin was in 2011, by, interestingly, the Rams.

Lol. It's okay. I know your snarky dismissal was aimed at my making fun of the poster or 2 who basically said "intelligence is not the only important factor in playing in the NFL" as if anyone thought it was.

You lost me. I think it goes without saying.

• 2 / 2
15 posts Apr 16 2024