21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by snackdaddy
6 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I believe luck has more to do with it than anything else. And who is injured. Lose a star quarterback and your season is likely derailed. Packers and Texans can attest to that. Yet, the Eagles won without their star QB.

I suppose some teams can overcome it better than others. I remember a few years ago the Saints having the most players on IR in a year they won 11 games.

by /zn/
6 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I believe luck has more to do with it than anything else. And who is injured. Lose a star quarterback and your season is likely derailed. Packers and Texans can attest to that. Yet, the Eagles won without their star QB.

I suppose some teams can overcome it better than others. I remember a few years ago the Saints having the most players on IR in a year they won 11 games.

It's never the number of injuries.

It's to what extent they occur in the same unit.

Injuries up and down the depth chart is just life in the NFL.

In 2007 the Rams OL lost 10 players, 4 for the season and 6 more for extended periods. That was just not an "all teams have injuries" situation. That crippled the OL.

Foles and the Eagles came up. Foles has been up and down since 2014. He has streaks where he plays well and streaks where he is just gawd-awful. That happened in 2017 too. Just that fortunately for the Eagles, he was fine in the post-season.

by Horny Mcbae
6 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Ohhhhhhh........... this thread makes me so nervous. We all knew this stat but maybe just keep it on the DL.

Knocking on wood and all that.

by aeneas1
6 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:So Fisher didn't have the injury excuse in 2016? Interesting....

:D

i love football outsiders and their efforts but too much of their stuff just doesn't hold up particularly well to scrutiny... for example their oline pass pro rankings are based on little more than team sacks allowed, and of course olines aren't solely responsible for sacks... also, i used to be a paid subscriber and received their online year-end almanac (now it's a snail mail hard copy given, i'm guessing, too much file sharing), it was always littered with errors, one year the rams numbers were so out of whack that when i brought it to their attention they realized that they had inadvertently shifted every team's numbers, i.e. the team following the rams had the rams numbers, the rams had the numbers from the team above them, etc., fo had to re-do the almanac and reissue it...

anyway, re their "adjusted games lost" calculations, i dunno, seems like a lot of subjective stuff going on there, for example easley missing the entire season didn't count against the rams "agl", per fo:

"Easley is one of those players we have been marking as "SIT2" in recent years. These are often rotational DL who play maybe 40% of snaps, but aren't starters. Started marking them in case we want to include them with AGL in the future, but Easley did not count for the Rams here."

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BuiltRamTough wrote:Hopefully it’s gnna be the 3rd year in a row.

That is a lot to expect. But top 5? I can live with that, though how happily depends on who was injured. We had a lot of injuries last year. Or was it just to some key pieces? Kupp, Talib, Peters (though he didn't miss time), Gurley......that's a lot to have damaged IMHO.

by aeneas1
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

oline health has driven this number...

by max
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Flash wrote:How much of this is to blame on the field in St. Louis and credit for playing on grass in L.A.?

I think there’s merit in STL conditions being a problem.

Heck, they even killed Jack Snow in STL.

by Hacksaw
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

KNOCK ON WOOD !!!!!

by Hacksaw
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dick84 wrote:Mostly luck.
But... I think they way they track players usage and handle veterans, making sure they get plenty of rest and recovery, plays a role as well.

Agreed.. Perhaps our trainers are doing a better job too.

BTW Dick, I'm sorry to report that "Grumpy Cat" died the other day.
2.jpg

Death. Grumpy Cat died at home following complications from a urinary tract infection on May 14, 2019.
Other name(s): Tardar Sauce
Owner: Tabatha Bundesen
Known for: being an internet meme star

• 2 / 3
21 posts Apr 19 2024