14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by bubbaramfan
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1117  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

As most of you already know, I live in Carson, just four blocks from the proposed Charger/Raider stadium site. I have been following developments closely, as a stadium being built there would affect me greatly. My property value would certainly at least double in value, if not more. Having lived here over 60 years and knowing fist hand the history of the site, I have serious reservations that a stadium will ever be built here. The site is a former landfill that serviced SoCal for over 50 years. It also was a dump site for tens of thousands of 55 gallon barrels of industrial waste, chiefly from Montrose Chemical Corp, which was next door to the land fill.
I talked to a represenative of the Calif. State Board of Health, whom I met at the local McDonalds. It was a brief conversation, I asked him what he thought about the proposed stadium. He shook his head and said there is just way to much cleanup to be done for a stadium to get built within 2 years. The major problem is the 55 gallon drums are corroding, and benzene, PCB's, toluene and who knows what else is seeping to the surface in at least 5 different locations across the property. He didn't want to say more, only that there are people coming in and trying to figure out how to fix it.
My last question to him: Has the Calif. State Board of Health given their approval yet? His answer: No, and they have a lot of work to do before they will get it.
My reasons for posting is the media is not giving an accurate picture. I have read recent article's giving the impression the Carson site will soon be ready and all the environmental problems are going to be soon taken care of. I know its just hear-say, but I believe fans are being misled, and the Carson site picture isn't as rosey as fans are being told. For my part, hope it gets done.

by Elvis
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Thanks Bubba, great info, but the mayor of Carson is on to you:

“There is an effort afoot to undermine our efforts to secure an NFL franchise,” Albert Robles, mayor of Carson told the Los Angeles Times. “If they’re able to create distractions or in any way delay our moving forward, it would undermine our efforts.

“I don’t want to attribute it to the city of Inglewood, per se, or to the Rams per se. But there are other parties that take it upon themselves to say, ‘What could we do to slow down Carson?’ They’ll resort to whatever they have to do.”

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2931192

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Drive up to Inglewood today and look at what they're doing right now you'll be shocked, they've started. The ceremony breaking ground thing is in December but everything else around the stadium has started and they're doing prep work for the stadium. Afterwards go look at the Carson site and compare both.

by Hacksaw
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

BuiltRamTough wrote:Drive up to Inglewood today and look at what they're doing right now you'll be shocked, they've started. The ceremony breaking ground thing is in December but everything else around the stadium has started and they're doing prep work for the stadium. Afterwards go look at the Carson site and compare both.

BRT. Post some photos brother. Tell me this, do you see a large hole getting dug yet? If you see earth movers and dump trucks lined up down Manchester, then the stadium has begun.

by Hacksaw
8 years 10 months ago

Elvis wrote:Thanks Bubba, great info, but the mayor of Carson is on to you:

“There is an effort afoot to undermine our efforts to secure an NFL franchise,” Albert Robles, mayor of Carson told the Los Angeles Times. “If they’re able to create distractions or in any way delay our moving forward, it would undermine our efforts.

“I don’t want to attribute it to the city of Inglewood, per se, or to the Rams per se. But there are other parties that take it upon themselves to say, ‘What could we do to slow down Carson?’ They’ll resort to whatever they have to do.”

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2931192

Sound paranoid much Robles? I wonder who it is. AEG again? ESK? Who knows.

by den-the-coach
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

BuiltRamTough wrote:Drive up to Inglewood today and look at what they're doing right now you'll be shocked, they've started. The ceremony breaking ground thing is in December but everything else around the stadium has started and they're doing prep work for the stadium. Afterwards go look at the Carson site and compare both.

Love it keep the good news coming...Almost home!

by Hacksaw
8 years 10 months ago

den-the-coach wrote:

Love it keep the good news coming...Almost home!

Literally..

by bubbaramfan
8 years 10 months ago
Pro Bowl

The only thing you'll see at the Carson site is septic trucks sucking up the sludge oozing up into pools.

by den-the-coach
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

bubbaramfan wrote:The only thing you'll see at the Carson site is septic trucks sucking up the sludge oozing up into pools.

So they begun the cleanup process? ;)

by bubbaramfan
8 years 10 months ago
Pro Bowl

Those trucks have been coming and going for over 20 years. I've talked to the drivers. the 55 gallon drums of toxic industrial waste are corroding and leaking, oozong to the surface. They come in just to try and keep it from over-flowing and getting into the sewer system, which flows to the ocean. They estimate there are over 100,000 drums that have been dumped in the landfill when it was open. Mostly from Montrose Chemicle right next door, who made DDT and PCB's for power towers. Funny how none of this has ever been talked about in the media.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 18 2024