253 posts
  • 26 / 26
 by Hacksaw
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Stranger wrote:
ArizonaBlue wrote:
Stranger wrote:a more sophisticated offensive minded HC would not put us in the position of losing games due to one mistake. with this D, we should be blowing out teams.

I'm not joining you on the dislike of Fisher. But, he clearly has no clue on Offense. He needs to hire a major OC immediately.

I don't dislike Fisher, I just want a HC who respects the modern NFL offense. And I'm also left wondering why he has not been able to secure a "major OC". Perhaps there is something more to this. I've just gotta wonder if major OC's shy away from Fisher because of his unwillingness to change his offensive approach to the game, or to provide the OC with much needed independence. One has gotta wonder.

Stranger, you bring up a very solid point.

At Houston/Tenn his OC's

94, Dick Coury and Kevin Gilbride
95-96, Jerry Rhome
97-99, Les Stecker
00-04, Mike Heimerdinger
05-07, Norm Chow
08-10, Mike Heimerdinger again
12-14. Schottenheimer

So first question, what's up with the "heimer" thing? lol
By far his most successful OC was Heimerdinger who posted a 75 -53 record under Fisher.

In a pregame interview on Fox yesterday, they had an interview with Rex Ryan. The premise of the interview was Ryan's coaching philosophy. He believes in a strong running game and a smash mouth D. Sound familiar?

Football is changing. I've heard that mentioned here. Is it the fundamentals that are changing, or is it the rules by which the game is being played? Other than the running QB's (who are likely on a shorter career path) the biggest changes are the pussification of hit's, coverage infractions and the ability to smack a QB. Ryan's and Fish's philosophies on O work as long as you can get first downs. But that's the same with everyone. It's not a sexy as a prolific O like Martz's or Turner's but those O's aren't exactly new either.

After yesterday, I can see this offense working. just don't fall behind.

by dieterbrock
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

The thing is, I'd be all for "smash mouth" football.
That's not even remotely close to what we play. Reverses, traps and delays. All plays are slow developing
That's not smash mouth. Give me a 2 TE set with a legit fullback and run off tackle or pitch it out wide.
I find it to be annoying that as ineffective as the o has been, its been entirely complicated as well

by Gareth
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

There is no such thing as "smash mouth" football in the NFL these days. Even "running teams" throw the ball at least half the time. The rules are so much in favor of the passing game that it's the obvious way to go.

• 26 / 26
253 posts May 17 2024