Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

She's looking pretty good.

by rams74
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1472  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:It's almost all water under the bridge now but it's hard for me to feel any love for the Coliseum. It's too closely associate with the Coliseum Commission that had a stranglehold on the NFL in LA that drove the Rams away and kept the NFL out of LA for 20 years. It's worked out in the end but it's still hard to ignore those 20 years of suffering.

I understand the part about "drove the Rams away," but honestly, if the Coliseum Commission had not "kept the NFL out of LA for 20 years," it probably would have been the Houston Texans franchise playing in LA. And in that case, the Rams would not have been able to come back. So, all things being equal, I'm happy that the Rams are back (and winning).

by SWAdude
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

rams74 wrote:I understand the part about "drove the Rams away," but honestly, if the Coliseum Commission had not "kept the NFL out of LA for 20 years," it probably would have been the Houston Texans franchise playing in LA. And in that case, the Rams would not have been able to come back. So, all things being equal, I'm happy that the Rams are back (and winning).

I feel the same way.

I don't like messing with fate.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

SWAdude wrote:I feel the same way.

I don't like messing with fate.

The "Los Angeles Texans" just doesn't sound right either. :D

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:I can hear it now "look at all those empty seats!"

Just cover them with tarps.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I read somewhere they won't be selling those heavily obstructed view seats for football but will sell them for other events where it doesn't matter as much (whatever that would be)...

What could those be? After Inglewood opens I assume all stadium events for the LA area will go there. No more concerts at the Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium etc.

A google search says the last concert at the Coliseum was Roger Waters nearly 7 years ago.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Just cover them with tarps.

It won't matter. They'll just say "They covered the seats so we can't see how many they couldn't sell".

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:It won't matter. They'll just say "They covered the seats so we can't see how many they couldn't sell".

You do have to admit that was a pretty stupid move by USC and the architects to make those seats obstructed. It amazes me that happens in this day and age.

by rams74
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1472  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:How did the Coliseum commission drive the Rams away and block the NFLs return?

The Coliseum Commission was made up of local politicians. Anytime a new stadium proposal came up for an NFL team, the local politicians always redirected said team back to the Coliseum. No proposal could get approval through local government because the commission always said the Coliseum was the best site.

CR wanted the stadium renovated, but the commission didn't like his ideas and refused. So he moved the Rams to Anaheim. He wanted a new stadium, but they blocked it. Al Davis moved the Raiders there with their approval, but the same thing happened to him, so he moved back to Oakland. Same thing with the expansion team that turned into the Texans.

There were myriad plans for new stadiums over the years, all backed with local private money. None could get city approval because the Coliseum Commission blocked them all. The NFL was done with the Coliseum as a permanent home for a team, so the league blocked any attempts to permanently go back to the Coliseum.

• 26 / 29
290 posts Apr 19 2024