7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38611  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... re-support

Jared Goff trying to learn from great QBs, but he needs more support

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- First it was Drew Brees. Then it was Tom Brady. Next up will be Matt Ryan. And after that it's Russell Wilson.

Jared Goff, the Los Angeles Rams' rookie quarterback and 2016's No. 1 overall pick, will not let opportunity pass him by.

"Jared's a very observant guy," Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke said, noting how Goff watched Brees and Brady warm up and made it a point to study their early drives over these last two weeks. "I think what he's trying to do is really build his library. 'What does it take to be successful?' 'What does it take to play at a very high level, like these guys have for a number of years?'"

Brady, Ryan and Wilson are quarterbacks for teams with a combined record of 25-10-1. Brees, Brady and Ryan lead offenses that rank in the top six in the NFL in yards per game. Brees, Brady and Wilson have Super Bowl rings. What they all have over Goff is experience, not to mention formidable offenses -- formidable teams -- around them.

The Rams are still having problems with that.

Thirteen weeks in, they are last in the NFL in yards per game (284), last in the NFL in points per game (15), last in the NFL in first downs per game (15.8), last in the NFL in third-down-conversion percentage (32.5) and last in the NFL in Total QBR (41.6). This, after ranking in the bottom five in offense each of the previous three seasons.

Yes, the Rams are trying to change some things.

Said Rob Boras, winding down his first full season as the Rams' offensive coordinator: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results."

But what can the Rams do?

Specifically, what can they do to get Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin going?

Remember the sentiment heading into the season, when Gurley and Austin were supposed to carry most of the load for this offense? Gurley, the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, is averaging 3.2 yards per carry, ranked 38th among 40 qualified running backs. Austin, given a $42 million extension before the season, has gained 492 yards from scrimmage, a number 110 players have topped.

"It's systematically right now," Boras said. "Across the board, we all need to do better. It’s not pointing a finger at any one person, which we’re going to refuse to do. It’s just, again, continuing to come out here. We've got to focus on the details and the technique, and hope that those carry over to Sunday, which will allow us to execute and convert some first downs. And first downs lead to touchdowns. Right now, we've got to get some first downs.”

The Rams got only seven of them Sunday, while suffering a 26-10 defeat against the New England Patriots that gave them seven losses in a span of eight games. Goff didn't do well himself, going 14-of-32 for 161 yards, with a touchdown, two interceptions and a dreadful Total QBR of 11.6. But his receivers dropped a lot of passes, and his offensive line allowed way too much pressure -- and that's why it's so difficult to judge Goff thus far.

Through his first three games, Goff sports the NFL's lowest Total QBR (31.9), second-fewest yards per pass attempt (5.36) and third-lowest completion percentage (53.7), but the offense he is at the center of is systematically broken.

Heading into the draft, Goff drew comparisons to Ryan, who is making a legitimate case for MVP honors. Rams coach Jeff Fisher sees similarities in "the arm strength, the accuracy, the vision." Falcons coach Dan Quinn didn't feel comfortable linking the two, but said of Goff: " I like the athleticism, where he can get outside the pocket to go create. I saw strength in the arm on some of the deep balls, the touch to go underneath -- those are the first things that jumped out to me."

Goff was fighting a virus on Wednesday, the type that kept him out of practice but is not expected to affect his status for the upcoming game from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

His numbers have not looked good, but the circumstances don't make that a fair prism from which to judge him yet.

"I get to be with him probably more than anybody else," Weinke said. "I see his work ethic day in and day out. Very cerebral guy. He's picked up things very quickly, has been able to make that transition of probably that first start, where, 'Hey, this is all new,' to now a point where I think he's more comfortable. He'd be the first to admit that he still has a ways to go, like every other rookie quarterback. I'm more excited about what I see in the classroom, that's being transferred onto the field, that maybe people on the outside don't see."

by dieterbrock
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Imagine how great Brees, Brady, Ryan and Wilson would be if they got to learn from watching Case Keenum?

by dieterbrock
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:under the watchful eyes of boras and weinke, goff is no doubt destined for stardom....

Laughing my ass off. That's pure comedic gold

by Hacksaw
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

aeneas1 wrote:under the watchful eyes of boras and weinke, goff is no doubt destined for stardom....

Weinke i can roll with, Schottborasnetti not so much..

by Neil039
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Is Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson available for Jeffery Michael Fisher's staff next season? They won Super Bowls.

by Hacksaw
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

dieterbrock wrote:Groh is the only one I think is worth keeping

I like Groh too and he deserves a shot trying to work with the likes of Keenum.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 29 2024