9 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by Hacksaw
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

So their saying that because our weather is so nice that we won't support a team?

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:So their saying that because our weather is so nice that we won't support a team?

Lol ya. People outside of LA think we only go to the beach everyday and hang out with celebrities.

But make no mistake, the NFL has accesses to TV ratings in LA. They know what we do on Sundays. That's why they're thinking of putting 2 teams in LA.

San Diego has nice weather and beaches too. I was at the Rams game last year and the stadium was packed with Rams and Chargers fans. Southern Cali loves football and sports.

by moklerman
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Isn't it almost amazing how much impact Georgia had on the NFL? I mean, no one ever associates poor NFL attendance in LA with the Raiders, right? So, Georgia basically caused the perception that LA won't support the NFL.

Not football, the NFL. USC and UCLA have no problem filling up their stadiums. The Dodgers, Angels, Lakers/Clippers, Kings, Ducks...none of them have a stigma of poor attendance. It all boils down to the Rams in Anaheim.

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Isn't it almost amazing how much impact Georgia had on the NFL? I mean, no one ever associates poor NFL attendance in LA with the Raiders, right? So, Georgia basically caused the perception that LA won't support the NFL.

Not football, the NFL. USC and UCLA have no problem filling up their stadiums. The Dodgers, Angels, Lakers/Clippers, Kings, Ducks...none of them have a stigma of poor attendance. It all boils down to the Rams in Anaheim.

This is so true. I agree 100%.

by The Ripper
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   494  
United States of America   Naples, FL
Starter

BuiltRamTough wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:So their saying that because our weather is so nice that we won't support a team?

Lol ya. People outside of LA think we only go to the beach everyday and hang out with celebrities.

But make no mistake, the NFL has accesses to TV ratings in LA. They know what we do on Sundays. That's why they're thinking of putting 2 teams in LA.

San Diego has nice weather and beaches too. I was at the Rams game last year and the stadium was packed with Rams and Chargers fans. Southern Cali loves football and sports.

For LA just like NY the actual ratings are not as important as the household numbers.

by TSFH Fan
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

I'm just borrowing this from another board (LosAngelesSportsFan from the Skyscrapercity board):
This nonsense that LA fans are fickle needs to stop... The Kings, Lakers, Clippers sell out all their games and the Kings and Clippers have had strong attendance for years even though they sucked. The Dodgers average 47,000 fans a game, 5000 more than any other team and are ALWAYS top 5 in the league when they arent first. The Angels are always in the top 5 to 7 in attendance as well. The Galaxy average 24,000 fans a game, top 3 in the MLS for every year of its existence. UCLA and USC football average over 70,000 fans a game. Hell, even the Ducks average 17,000 a game. UCLA basketball draws 9 - 11k a game.. Basically, our only laggard is USC basketball. How come Philly, NY, Chicago and Boston arent taken to the wood shed regarding their attendances? The islanders, nets, mets, devils draw flies. The 76'ers have games where there are more players than fans in the stands. The Phillies average 20k a game... the Dodgers havent had a crowd less than 40,000 for 2 years... Sorry about this rant, just tired of this bullshit that is perpetuated by east coast fans and taken as gospel by everyone else.

The Rams will sell out every game for the next decade before they even finish the stadium. i guarantee you that. PSL's will be sold out in a matter of weeks. The pent up demand for NFL football in SoCal is so high that its a no brainer. I personally know at least 10 people who will be getting in line for season tickets.

by Hacksaw
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

moklerman wrote:Isn't it almost amazing how much impact Georgia had on the NFL? I mean, no one ever associates poor NFL attendance in LA with the Raiders, right? So, Georgia basically caused the perception that LA won't support the NFL.

Well that and both teams moving out. Great point on the city fan allegiance aspect. We do get a bit of a bum rap,,,,,,,
unless you do the per-capita numbers. Still at what, 1/10 of 1% of the surrounding population, they sell out twice every Sunday.

by Stranger
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

moklerman wrote:Georgia basically caused the perception that LA won't support the NFL.

That was her plan, but I don't think even she had any idea how impactful her plan would be. No wonder NFL HQ put the Rams in the media dog-house for so long. I'm sooooo glad this nightmare is almost over - with the exception of a few bright years that we can thank Mike Martz for.

• 1 / 1
9 posts Apr 26 2024