54 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by Elvis
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/7/ ... -san-diego

Is it all over for an NFL stadium in San Diego?

By John Gennaro  @john_gennaro on Jul 28, 2015, 11:39a 20

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The NFL is meeting with the Mayor of San Diego as they try to determine the fate of professional football south of Orange County. Does a leaked letter spell the end for San Diego?

While we await the inevitable press conference from the NFL's Executive Vice President Eric Grubman (pictured above, hilariously) regarding his meeting with San Diego politicians this morning....

Dan Sileo got a copy of a letter. He says it's a memo from the NFL that will be presented to San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer today. You really need to listen to the entire letter, which takes nearly ten full minutes to read through.

Seriously, go ahead. Click the link. Listen while you eat lunch. I'll still be here when you get back.

Okay, are you back? That was awful, right? Turned your stomach a little bit, but not quite enough to ruin "Taco Tuesday", am I right?

Here's the thing: I don't think it's all that scary. Maybe I'm nuts, but that letter was definitely written by Mark Fabiani. It had all of the common Fabiani-isms that we've come to know and hate, and use to identify where random reporters the suddenly have inside information are getting that information from. Nobody in the world calls it a "quickie EIR" except for Mark Fabiani and his army of clones.

That should be scary though, right? Mark Fabiani is penning letters that that NFL is giving to the Mayor of San Diego!

Well, it depends how you look at it. Technically, if the NFL is bringing together the Chargers' representatives and the City's representatives (for the first time in weeks), Fabiani could be presenting this letter himself to the City and the league. As a person representing an NFL team, it could definitely be construed as "the NFL presenting the letter to the City."

Anyway, that's semantics and besides the point. What's the goal here? Why is Fabiani using this letter to bury the city? If he's already won, and the league already is going to let the Chargers leave (which Carmen Policy would have you believe is true, just check his bank statements), why throw dirt on top of the grave?

Exactly. Fabiani is after something, and it's entirely possible that the NFL (aka Eric Grubman) wants the exact same thing, and they're working in tandem to get it. What would that thing be? DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO.

It's what the Chargers have wanted all along: For the Mayor to push the hoteliers to pay for the majority of a stadium downtown that Spanos can develop land and businesses around, copying the Petco Park plan (but bigger because it's the NFL). There's no reason to think the NFL wants anything different from that, so maybe they are letting Fabiani write their memos to San Diego for them.

So, here's what I think happens, and Jeff has basically been predicting it for months now. I think this is the final straw. San Diego has been backed into a corner by Fabiani, Spanos, and Grubman. He either has to do the one thing that he's been avoiding, and go begging for the hoteliers to help him out, or he has to walk away from the table and piss off the entire Chargers fanbase.

The billion dollar question, which is likely the hot button topic in today's meeting, is if the NFL would be willing to delay the Rams and Raiders for another year while Kevin Faulconer goes around cracking kneecaps and getting the hoteliers to be a part of the plan. The answer to that question is likely the answer to whether or not the NFL exists in San Diego in five years.

by Elvis
8 years 8 months ago
Administrator

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

I didn't think this months ago and I always though the Chargers wanted to stay in SD but as the day goes go by I'm starting to think the Chargers really want LA.

As far as SD and their quest to find a stadium. I don't think they know what the fuck they're doing. They're trying to past an EIR in 3-4 weeks Lolll. That's not possible. I don't blame the NFL. SD can't get it right and maybe it's true that the Chargers have really been trying to get a stadium for the last 14 years.

SD and OAK should work with the NFL and ask them what they should do. I get the NFL is greedy but the best chance for your to succeed and get a stadium is to kiss the NFLs ass and ask them step by step what to do.

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 8 months ago
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Looking for confirmation, but i'm pretty certain the letter was a fake...

Are you serious?? No way haha that's crazy!

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 8 months ago
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Chargers want L.A. or downtown, sure don't seem to want Mission Valley...

Yea that might be true. Listening to SD radio over the month, most believe Spanos wants the downtown site.

by dieterbrock
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Really cant believe they cant make this work.
Never been to San Diego but what I've seen on TV is beautiful. And the baseball stadium is awesome, cant believe the Padres can geta stadium but the Chargers cant

by Elvis
8 years 8 months ago
Administrator

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015/07/ ... san-diego/

Some insights about today’s NFL meeting with San Diego

Posted on July 28, 2015 by Vincent Bonsignore

I got a chance to do some poking around about today’s NFL meeting with San Diego leaders on the status of their Mission Valley stadium push for the Chargers. A lot of stuff going on, needless to say.

Here are the cliff notes.

The meeting today between the NFL, Chargers and San Diego leaders enabled San Diego to present the outline for its stadium project. And while there were many questions asked, no negotiations took place.

Among the items talked about were:

1. Building design

While the stadium it is still in the conceptual stage, it has all the key elements NFL would expect at this stage.

2. EIR

San Diego leaders emphasized that the Environmental Impact Report they are putting together will be a thorough procedure that deals with the replacement of an existing stadium at an existing site.

3. Outline of stadium financing

Financing of the stadium will be a public/private process that requires very significant funding from NFL and Chargers sources.

3. Timeline

San Diego outlined the following timeline for all the various elements- and expressed faith San Diego residents will back them up with supportive votes:

August 10: Draft EIR release

Sept. 11: Deadline for stadium agreement between City and Chargers

(A final deal between San Diego and the Chargers must be reached by Sept. 11 in order to get it to a January 12 election)

Sept. 29: Final EIR published.

October 12 or 13: Council hearing to call election.

January 12: Special election.

On a side note, NFL vice president Eric Grubman tells me San Diego stadium leaders will be in Chicago to update the NFL Los Angeles owners committee but will not update all 32 owners at the special owners meeting on Aug 11.

• 1 / 6
54 posts Apr 19 2024