68 posts
  • 2 / 7
 by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38757  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

6 QBs going in the first 12 picks, 14 straight offense, wild and unprecedented. I would've thought people were overhyping Penix and Nix, that they'd fall like Levis and Hooker last year but quite the opposite.

I know it's all in good fun but stuff like this is wild to me. I mean what does "guarantee" even mean in this context? Are we all getting free Jumbo Jacks now?

by Lancer
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   180  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

The demand for QB's in the top 1/2 of the 1st round definitely came as a surprise, I felt picks like Nix and Penix would go much later, and thought Williams's value would be more in line if he went just slightly ahead of them.

I felt some of the other QB prospects were better.

How did people feel about the other offensive players and where they ended up: WR, OL mainly? Did those groups line up where people thought, based on how deep or shallow those positions were or not?

by ramsman34
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I think something is clear to me. The Rams tested the waters in a trade up for an offense skill player. When that didn’t happen, and the draft fell the way it did, they hit their top contingency - and their plan in place for the D - focus on the run game. Yes, they have more pass rush/QB disruption potential too. But it feels like a concerted effort to be much more powerful and dynamic running the ball and stopping the run. Currently, the pass game is excellent. However, if either Kupp or Nacua goes down, that pass game gets pedestrian in a hurry. They will be able to insulate those guys a bit by not having to throw as often if they don’t want to. On the D side, it looks like it will be difficult to run on the Rams. Couple this with a very veteran laden secondary, and the bad guys should have a difficult time scoring on our D.
So while they didn’t execute what I thought they would in the first, they are set up to be able to attack teams in multiple ways from both sides of the ball

And STs should be very much improved. It will be interesting to see how they cover kicks and how they are designing their kick return game. There is still no indication as to who will return punts and kicks.

If you count the development of Davis Allen and the addition of Parkinson, they should be pretty good, but not very dynamic at TE. They are very deep in the secondary. Many wanted ILB. But, the Rams just don’t run a lot of snaps with 2 true inside backers. Also, they must believe Boom and the rest are as good or better than anyone they would have drafted.

We are very deep and improved across the OL. We have an above average back up QB.

The Rams once again might be ahead of the curve. Most defenses are small and fast to defend the pass game (I know this is over simplified). The Rams are looking to take advantage of that on O. At the same time, they are prepared to defend other teams who will try this approach and who already do it this way - SF, Detroit, Baltimore to name a few.

We have a pretty smart brain trust running and coaching this team.

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38757  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

When it comes to KR/PR, i really just want them to get the ball safely into Stafford's hands. I have no idea how the new KR is gonna look/play out but on punts, if the Rams either don't field or fair catch every single punt in 2024, i'd be okay with that. Now if you're shitty on offense and need your return teams to be a weapon (a Jeff Fisher team for example), i get that. But that's not who these Rams are.

As for how the first round shook out, going by Jourdan, the Rams did look into trading up but the price was too high and they gave up on that pretty quickly. They considered trading back but since Verse seemed to be falling to them and because one of their plans was to get Verse and Fiske, they stood pat and executed that plan, a plan they'd had for a while...

by ramsman34
2 weeks 3 days ago

Elvis wrote:When it comes to KR/PR, i really just want them to get the ball safely into Stafford's hands. I have no idea how the new KR is gonna look/play out but on punts, if the Rams either don't field or fair catch every single punt in 2024, i'd be okay with that. Now if you're shitty on offense and need your return teams to be a weapon (a Jeff Fisher team for example), i get that. But that's not who these Rams are.

As for how the first round shook out, going by Jourdan, the Rams did look into trading up but the price was too high and they gave up on that pretty quickly. They considered trading back but since Verse seemed to be falling to them and because one of their plans was to get Verse and Fiske, they stood pat and executed that plan, a plan they'd had for a while...

I get what you’re saying but they have to have some plan don’t you think? They will HAVE to return kick offs. Punts, they will have to catch the ball at minimum more often than not. They don’t need to be dynamic. But safe and proficient would be wise.

And as to your last half of the post, that’s exactly what I am saying. Smart team with multiple contingencies.

by PARAM
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   12292  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

One thing I'm sure of......it's going to be extremely hard to make the 53. I'm not talking just draft picks and UDFA's but guys on the bubble....and there are a lot of them. I'd think the final 53 is going to be an ass-kicking roster. And it wouldn't surprise me if we lose some guys off the practice squad fairly quickly.

How many spots are available?

If we carry these 53.....

QB - 2
RB - 4
TE - 4
WR - 6
OL - 9

ST - 3

DL - 6
Edge - 5 or 6
ILB - 3
CB - 5 or 6
S - 5

After the rookies are seated (Verse, Fiske, Corum, Kinchens, Karty for sure, probably Jackson, Davis and Whittingham too) there might only be 2 or 3 spots open. I'm feeling amped this is going to be a good year.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   2092  
Pro Bowl

I bet that averaged out per player drafted this is the heaviest rookie class ever drafted by the Rams. A Lot of BIG guys.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 3 days ago

I’d like to do a spread sheet. Wonder if there’s anyway to insert one so it keeps the format. Elvis feel free to educate me on this.

By position:
Starter - 2 - depth - bubble - PS - Waived

Ourlads probably already has this. I will check. https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/LAR

They do but I dont agree with their depth in some spots.

by ramsww
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   475  
Starter

PARAM wrote:Every year there are predictions this guy won't make it to that slot; that guy will be around later; etc. etc. Somebody slap me when I start believing the pre-draft BS from experts and amateurs alike.

1. The QBs. Bo Nix at #12? 6 of the first 12 picks QBs and the first 14 picks offensive players.

2. Michael Penix went off the board at #8? WTF is Atlanta going to do with him, having Cousins signed through 2027 at $180 mil.

3. Byron Murphy went before Dallas Turner?? I don't feel like a dunce for wanting the Rams to draft him.

4. Fashanu was supposed to drop like a stone. But he ended up going #11 and considering the number of QBs taken, I don't think he dropped at all.

5. Jer'Zhan Newton lasted until the 2nd round? And despite the DUI 2 weeks before the draft, Sweat went 2 slots after JN.

6. There was a 2nd round run on DTs, with 4 being taken over 5 slots. The Rams traded up for Fiske at the end of that run. Then there was a run on CBs with 4 straight going off the board.

7. 7 WRs in the first round? We can't say the passing game isn't priority 1 for NFL teams. 7 WRs, 6 QBs, 8 LTs only leaves 11 slots for other first round positions!!!

What else? Feel free to add your own "surprises/shocks"!!!

I have another one.....

The Rams did practically exactly what Ram fans wanted them to do. They got an Edge and DL with their first 2 picks. Grabbed an offensive playmaker early (Corum). The safety was a bit of a shock but IMHO, he was so high on their board they had to take him. Then another Edge and a NT for good measure. Didn't we want them to add to the defense? Amazingly, they grabbed a PK...the best one after all that defense and then added an intelligent WR. Finally, they supplemented the OL depth. We couldn't have designed a better wish list. No toys. No WTF was that!!!!

I wasn’t sure where you were going but I have to agree. Not the biggest splashes in the draft…just exactly what we needed!

by BobCarl
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4324  
Superstar

RAMMAN76 wrote:GWINN: The Falcons Selection of Michael Penix Jr. Is the Worst Draft Pick of All-Time
don't know who this Dylan Gwinn guy is ... a sports writer for the St. Louis Post Dispatch maybe? Or maybe he is a 15 yr old High School sophomore sportswriter? Or maybe he is just an AI that isn't able to access a database that goes back more than 10 years.

Did they forget about the year (1968), the Rams had Roman Gabriel as their starting QB and drafted the previous year's Heisman Trophy winner, QB Gary Beban?

the NFL draft in 1968 was before my comprehension abilities ... lol, and so is the 2024 draft

Or ... (again in 1968) the Raiders already had the 1967's MVP as their starting QB, yet drafted a QB in the 1st round ... and then drafted a QB in the 2nd round. How stupid is that?

Never mind that the 2nd round pick's name was Kenny Stabler, that is besides the point ... oh wait ... that is the point.

Sometimes a stupid pick is the best pick.

I was thinking that if a team in 2024 already has a premier starting TE on their roster that it would be stupid to draft another one in the 1st round. Who would be stupid enough to do that? And yet sports writers around the world are applauding the move.

If Sean McVay or Mike Martz had a couple of players like that on their squad, I'd be totally hyped.

Though it is said that Peter Schrager "knew" that the Rams were trying to trade up to get Brock Bowers ... the team that got him are a 3-yards and cloud of dust type of offense, maybe Bowers is going to be a cheap 6th offensive lineman.

WIERD!! ... yes!

• 2 / 7
68 posts May 15 2024