10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by BobCarl
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4325  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Stetson Bennett? Where would you rank him against this year's draft class.

I ALWAYS believe in drafting a QB every year. But I'm at a friggin loss as to where or even if the Rams should take a QB this year.

Any suggestions?

(Dave Brugler's ranking)

1. CALEB WILLIAMS USC 1st
2. DRAKE MAYE North Carolina 1st
3. JAYDEN DANIELS LSU 1st
4. J.J. MCCARTHY Michigan 1st - 2nd
5. BO NIX Oregon 2nd-3rd
6. MICHAEL PENIX JR. Washington 2nd-3rd
7. SPENCER RATTLER South Carolina 3rd
8. MICHAEL PRATT Tulane 3rd-4th
9. DEVIN LEARY Kentucky 5th-6th
10. JOE MILTON III Tennessee 5th-6th
11. JORDAN TRAVIS Florida State 5th-6th
12. SAM HARTMAN Notre Dame 6th-7th
13. AUSTIN REED Western Kentucky 6th-7th
14. KEDON SLOVIS BYU 7th-PFA
15. CARTER BRADLEY South Alabama PFA
16. JOHN RHYS PLUMLEE UCF PFA
17. MICHAEL HIERS Samford PFA
18. TAULIA TAGOVAILOA Maryland PFA
19. GAVIN HARDISON UTEP PFA
20. BEN BRYANT Northwestern PFA
21. JACK PLUMMER Louisville PFA
22. ROCKY LOMBARDI Northern Illinois PFA
23. JASON BEAN Kansas PFA

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   2092  
Pro Bowl

I don't see a need to rank him. He is already on the team. See if he can make it through training camp and stay on the team. Lord knows what he was doing last season.

by BobCarl
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4325  
Superstar

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:I don't see a need to rank him. He is already on the team..

There has to be a tipping point where one of the prospects could kick Stetson off of the island.

by Elvis
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38764  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Assuming Stafford and Jimmy G. are gonna make the team, it immediately becomes a bit of a situation. Do you want to keep 3 (let alone 4) QBs on the 53? Can you keep your 3rd QB on the PS without getting him poached? If the Rams draft a QB and are serious about maybe keeping Stetson around, that's a lot of QBs....

by majik
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Nix and Penix are going to be way over drafted in the 1st round.

If Rattler falls to the 4th or Leary (went to same high school as my kids, daughter played softball with sister) falls to the 6th, I could see them taking a flyer. Bennett is probably done if they do draft a QB. If they don’t, it shows confidence in him

by Elvis
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38764  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

majik wrote:Nix and Penix are going to be way over drafted in the 1st round.

Probably but media hype doesn't always translate, like with Levis and Hooker last year...

by ramsman34
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I’d put him in that Pratt, Leary, Milton range. The Rams know what’s up with Stetson as well as anyone can other than probably his therapist. And more than us. If they dont draft a QB it tells me they are pretty satisfied with the QB room as is.

They conceivably “need” in no order;
Edge, DL, corner, ILB, RB, WR, LT, TE, K. They have 11 picks as of now, UDFAs, Pro FAs, possible trades to address and add depth. I kinda doubt they draft a QB unless it’s a big upgrade at depth, or Staff has told them this is his last season.

by Dare
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   101  
Practice Squad

Bennett is simply a camp arm. I would be surprised if he makes the team.

Nix and Penix are under rated by most evaluators. IMO that could work for the Rams if they drop. Penix probably will not drop out of the top 10. Nix will probably go in the top half. I think both guys are targeted by the Rams if they take a QB in the first round. McCarthy might drop because IMO the NFL really doesn't have the kind of body of work they want to see in a prospect. If any of the top QBs drop IMO it will be McCarthy. Whether the Rams would take him in the first round is hard to judge but it wouldn't surprise me.

The real wildcard in this draft are the Chargers. Do they pick McCarthy and trade Herbert? I think there is a real possibility of that. Justin is the type of QB that McVay loves, a strong armed gunslinger (i.e. a young Stafford). The Rams could offer the Chargers both Atwell and Jimmy G who could start as a bridge. The Rams would need to restructure Herbert's contract to fit him under the cap this year but it's simply a matter of spreading the rest as guaranteed money. Afterall, the guaranteed money is what is important to players. The Rams could then take Pratt in the 5th or sixth round as a long term backup.

Outside of the first round IMO I think they would look at Pratt. This guy is better than most think. He's at least as good as Purdy or Jimmy G type of QB. I think he's better than Jimmy G as he makes better decisions under pressure. At the very least he can provide a solid backup for a long time.

I have the Rams trading up to Nine or even five in this draft for a QB. This will allow Penix or Nix a redshirt year to develop because of the 5th year option. The fifth year option is the reason I see them taking a QB in the first round. They can sit him for a year but still control his rights for another 4 years.

On the second day I see them going edge, OT, and CB. They might even trade up into the 4th round for a WR or RB. Regardless I think both positions will be addressed in the draft.

I see Hoecht starting opposite Young at DE. I think he plays strictly as a rotational DE under Shula. Though they could also move him inside as an early down ILB. I've heard they are considering him playing him inside and IMO ILB is where the need is besides rotational 3T behind Turner. (Hoecht was in relief of Donald at 3T originally).

Turner moves to 3T with Brown and a rookie draft pick rotating at NT. I see Hampton in rotation with Young and playing OLB in their base.

Their 3 gameday OL swings probably will be Noteboom OT/OG, McAllister C, and McClendon OG/RT.

Starting boundary CBs probably will be White & Williams. Starting base safeties, Curl and Lake. In their nickel they can play Lake at SCB and Yeast or a rookie at safety next to Curl.

It wouldn't surprise me if Atwell isn't packaged in the first round tradeup. He could be enough along with a couple of 1's to move into the 5 slot. I would be surprised if the Chargers stayed at 5. One of their primary needs is WR and Atwell would fill that position with a proven veteran player.

The other slot I can see them trading into is 9 as I think the Bears take a QB at one. Again Atwell could look like a good piece for their new QB.

Regardless we will see in a couple of days!

by actionjack
3 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dare wrote:Bennett is simply a camp arm. I would be surprised if he makes the team.

Nix and Penix are under rated by most evaluators. IMO that could work for the Rams if they drop. Penix probably will not drop out of the top 10. Nix will probably go in the top half. I think both guys are targeted by the Rams if they take a QB in the first round. McCarthy might drop because IMO the NFL really doesn't have the kind of body of work they want to see in a prospect. If any of the top QBs drop IMO it will be McCarthy. Whether the Rams would take him in the first round is hard to judge but it wouldn't surprise me.

The real wildcard in this draft are the Chargers. Do they pick McCarthy and trade Herbert? I think there is a real possibility of that. Justin is the type of QB that McVay loves, a strong armed gunslinger (i.e. a young Stafford). The Rams could offer the Chargers both Atwell and Jimmy G who could start as a bridge. The Rams would need to restructure Herbert's contract to fit him under the cap this year but it's simply a matter of spreading the rest as guaranteed money. Afterall, the guaranteed money is what is important to players. The Rams could then take Pratt in the 5th or sixth round as a long term backup.

Outside of the first round IMO I think they would look at Pratt. This guy is better than most think. He's at least as good as Purdy or Jimmy G type of QB. I think he's better than Jimmy G as he makes better decisions under pressure. At the very least he can provide a solid backup for a long time.

I have the Rams trading up to Nine or even five in this draft for a QB. This will allow Penix or Nix a redshirt year to develop because of the 5th year option. The fifth year option is the reason I see them taking a QB in the first round. They can sit him for a year but still control his rights for another 4 years.

On the second day I see them going edge, OT, and CB. They might even trade up into the 4th round for a WR or RB. Regardless I think both positions will be addressed in the draft.

I see Hoecht starting opposite Young at DE. I think he plays strictly as a rotational DE under Shula. Though they could also move him inside as an early down ILB. I've heard they are considering him playing him inside and IMO ILB is where the need is besides rotational 3T behind Turner. (Hoecht was in relief of Donald at 3T originally).

Turner moves to 3T with Brown and a rookie draft pick rotating at NT. I see Hampton in rotation with Young and playing OLB in their base.

Their 3 gameday OL swings probably will be Noteboom OT/OG, McAllister C, and McClendon OG/RT.

Starting boundary CBs probably will be White & Williams. Starting base safeties, Curl and Lake. In their nickel they can play Lake at SCB and Yeast or a rookie at safety next to Curl.

It wouldn't surprise me if Atwell isn't packaged in the first round tradeup. He could be enough along with a couple of 1's to move into the 5 slot. I would be surprised if the Chargers stayed at 5. One of their primary needs is WR and Atwell would fill that position with a proven veteran player.

The other slot I can see them trading into is 9 as I think the Bears take a QB at one. Again Atwell could look like a good piece for their new QB.

Regardless we will see in a couple of days!

Herbert is not getting traded, you dont trade borderline elite QB's that havent even gotten to their prime. If Harbough did that he would be fired. Tutu and Jimmy for Herbert + a whole lot more, like 1st round picks.

I think the Rams could have interest in Nix or Penix but only if they dropped to late first or second round. I do think we draft a QB, if we draft one in the 3rd round or higher, Stetson is practice squad guy. I am def not giving up on him, he has some ability and hopefully he has had his wakeup call.

• 1 / 1
10 posts May 17 2024