14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by PARAM
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

That's certainly a surname connected to controversy. Ray Rice, Rashee Rice, Donna Rice. :D

Or does he get "credit" for "cooperating with authorities"?

Rashee Rice car accident: Chiefs WR takes 'full responsibility' for Dallas crash; NFL monitoring situation

A six-vehicle car crash this past weekend in Dallas led to a police search for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Rice released a statement on social media Wednesday, via ESPN, apologizing for the situation and saying he takes "full responsibility for my part in this matter:"

"Today I met with Dallas PD investigators regarding Saturday's accident. I take full responsibility for my part in this matter and will continue to cooperate with the necessary authorities. I sincerely apologize to everyone impacted in Saturday's accident."

According to CBS Sports HQ senior NFL insider Josina Anderson, Rice has retained counsel, and his attorney released a statement on Monday.

"On behalf of Rashee Rice, his thoughts are with everyone impacted by the automobile accident on Saturday," lawyer Royce West said, via The Dallas Morning News. "Rashee is cooperating with local authorities and will take all necessary steps to address this situation responsibly."

NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy said the league is currently monitoring the situation.

Dallas police spokeswoman Kristin Lowman explained that the preliminary investigation shows someone in a Chevrolet Corvette and someone in a Lamborghini were speeding in the far left lane, when both drivers lost control. The Lamborghini went onto the shoulder and "hit the center median wall, causing a chain reaction collision involving four other vehicles," Lowman said.

It was not initially known if Rice was present at the scene, though the police call sheet from the Dallas Morning News lists Rice as the suspected driver of the Corvette involved. Police are now searching for the 23-year-old in connection with the accident, but it is unknown if he is facing charges over the crash. Rice was not mentioned in Dallas County jail records as of Sunday morning.

On Thursday, West revealed Rice was driving one of the cars in the accident at press conference in Dallas.

"Mr. Rice wants to make it certain that it is understood and appreciated that he is going to do everything in his power to bring that life back to as normal as possible in terms of injuries and in terms of property damage," West said, via The Dallas Morning News. "He'll make certain that he is responsible for helping them get through that particular part of this. Don't get us wrong, we understand no one can ever bring back to a person who has been in an accident ... help them get over the memories of being in that accident."

Two drivers were given medical attention for minor injuries at crash site and two others went to the hospital for minor injuries.

Rice grew up in Texas, in the Fort Worth area, and went to college in Dallas at SMU. He was drafted by the Chiefs in the second round of the 2023 NFL Draft. Rice led the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs in receiving touchdowns last season (seven) while ranking second in both catches (79) and receiving yards (938) behind Pro Bowl tight end Travis Kelce.

Kudos for "owning up to it" but it's pretty hard to deny when you're on camera leaving the scene.

by snackdaddy
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

After Henry Ruggs you'd think these guys would be more aware of speeding in fast cars.

by BobCarl
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4312  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:After Henry Ruggs you'd think these guys would be more aware of speeding in fast cars.

One would hope.

the adrenaline rush is too much for many at the maturity level at that age ... If I had that $$ at that age I would have been caught up with the same issues ... its fucking stupid.

I think most young NFL players are aware of the threat to their careers and become responsible before they finish college.

Regarding Rice ... the NFL might leave him alone until the "legal process plays out" ... He's gonna have a heavy to pay in that legal process for leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. The price might a plea-deal and out of court settlements with the victims.

And maybe Rise will be put on the Commissioner's Exempt List while the process(es) plays out.

Hopefully the Chiefs will do the right thing, but probably not.... knowing that Andy Reid who when he was the HC of the Eagles wasn't afraid to sign Michael Vick after spending 18 months in jail.

I wonder if the Governor of Missouri will have anything to say about Rice. I think not.

Some things are not clear to me ... who is responsible for the Lambo? And who is responsible for the Vette? And who are the other three men that left the scene and how are they associated with Rice?

Their driving actions will void any insurance coverage.

But yes, I also think Rice will get suspended. Hopefully for the max amount that the Players Union contract with the NFL allows.

by PARAM
3 weeks 2 days ago
Hall of Fame

From the official police report:

The report also said that "marijuana was found in both cars, as well as credit cards, a $16,500 check, a diamond chain, and the playbook for the Kansas City Chiefs."

Roger Goodell is thrilled about that one.
Andy Reid and Mahomes are thrilled about that one.
Some NFL players are really dumbasses.
Reports of Dallas PD officers texting pictures of the playbook to Houston PD officers is unsubstantiated. 8-)

by Lancer
3 weeks 16 hours ago
 Total posts:   176  
Rookie

My goodness; I felt it was bad enough choosing to leave the accident scene. -.-

by actionjack
3 weeks 3 hours ago
 Total posts:   3985  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

I see jail time in his future.

by AltiTude Ram
2 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   2180  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

by PARAM
2 weeks 4 days ago
Hall of Fame

Yeah, this isn't looking good for him. But considering the audacity of the event, he's been given a ton of slack. If that were one of us, our asses would have been arrested and jailed as soon as they knew who owned the vehicles. Entitled athletes believe they are above the law.....like some other public figures.

by BobCarl
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4312  
Superstar

PARAM wrote:From the official police report. :-)

The playbook is the property of the team ... The team will have to fill out some paperwork probably get it back ... Those that may have taken pictures of it... Will be disciplined and perhaps sued by the team

... The other items will probably be held until the case is over and all appeal time limits have expired.

I once found a playbook from a major college team... I didn't know who the player was, but I was told that he was suspended for a game ... I did return the playbook to the team in about 48 hours.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 29 2024