15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by PARAM
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

LMFAO!!!! We are the trendsetters!!! And throughout history, the Rams have always been, which is kinda weird. Kinda impressive.

by actionjack
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   3987  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:And also kind of hilarious because the Bills made such a big deal about not wanting to be the Rams...

Yep where did we hear that one before.

Now let's see if they are as successful as Los Ramos. That is kinda the important part right??!

by PARAM
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Yep where did we hear that one before.

Now let's see if they are as successful as Los Ramos. That is kinda the important part right??!

They can claim to be as soon as they win a Super Bowl, go to two and beat Kansas City 54-51! :lol2:

by snackdaddy
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I think Beane said that stuff last offseason assuming the Rams were in a full rebuild. Little did he know the Rams are better than he is at evaluating talent after the first round. Now the Rams are poised to reload and chase another ring the next couple years.

by BobCarl
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4312  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

PARAM wrote:LMFAO!!!! We are the trendsetters!!! And throughout history, the Rams have always been, which is kinda weird. Kinda impressive.

Yes.

And I have zero to argue against your post ...nevertheless I have a lot to argue against the concept of "Sunk Costs".

In the NFL "Sunk Costs" really means: expect more losses this season and more wins in the future. It is not what a true definition of "Sunk Costs" (cut bait). Basically, in the NFL, it is a way of saying fuck this season's salary cap, lets free up more space for next season. Sunk Costs is just another way to say "dead money".

All teams are equal when it comes to revenue sharing and the salary cap.

Taking on "dead money" this season, frees up money for next season ... which is a zero-sum equation.

Teams that can operate with a wealthy owner's slush fund can better manipulate what year their expenses actually gets counted, but they all end up spending the same amount. Taking on dead money is reverse way of manipulating what year the expenses get counted.

The shared revenue and salary cap means that teams are required to spend other people's money.... the fans' money. There is nothing really "sunk" by teams.

(on a tangent) ... The writer of the article claims that a future (unpicked) 2nd rounder's 4-yr contract is worth $20 mill ... ummm ok ... but when Puka Nacua (a fifth round pick) performs like a $20 mill per year receiver in his first season, the concept of (NFL) "sunk cost" is a fallacy.

Again, all teams are equal when it comes to the salary cap and spending us fans' hard earned money.... but teams are not equal when it comes to their ability making draft picks.

by rams1974
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   514  
Veteran

I know there are precious few folks here who followed the Rams super closely during the StL days, so I can appreciate this isn't a widely held view - but I think there are SO many parallels in the league reactions to both 1999 and 2021.

1999 - the thinking was you had to build a contender over like, 5 years. Teams were often selling fans on "be patient, we have to build." When the Rams did what they did, teams found themselves kind of exposed (and responded accordingly - the Rams made a lot of enemies).

2021 - the thinking was you couldn't throw away draft picks and sign free agents willy-nilly and win the SB. Teams are selling their fans on the idea of a) they didn't have a strategy, they just got lucky, and b) they'll have to nuke themselves as a fallout of that (oops).

by Elvis
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38616  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

rams1974 wrote:I know there are precious few folks here who followed the Rams super closely during the StL days, so I can appreciate this isn't a widely held view - but I think there are SO many parallels in the league reactions to both 1999 and 2021.

1999 - the thinking was you had to build a contender over like, 5 years. Teams were often selling fans on "be patient, we have to build." When the Rams did what they did, teams found themselves kind of exposed (and responded accordingly - the Rams made a lot of enemies).

2021 - the thinking was you couldn't throw away draft picks and sign free agents willy-nilly and win the SB. Teams are selling their fans on the idea of a) they didn't have a strategy, they just got lucky, and b) they'll have to nuke themselves as a fallout of that (oops).

I think you'll find a lot of us know the GSOT really well.

And i agree, lot of parallels. The Rams got plenty of flack for a lot of what they did and now the league is doing most of those things on a regular basis.

I learned that quick turnarounds were very possible, you didn't need 5 years, 3 years, continuity is overrated. And continuity for continuity's sake in a bad situation is a killer.

The Rams offense was terrible year in and year out leading up to '99. They changed OC, QB, RB, WR, what was it 7 new starters? And boom they hit the ground running, best offense in the NFL (maybe ever) from day 1.

Lovie did something similar with the defense in '01.

Then McVay in '17, took a perennially terrible offense and had it playing at a high level right out of the gate.

You don't need a lot of time, you don't need continuity. You need the right coordinator and players (especially QB). The rest matters of course but nowhere near as much as the first two...

by Dare
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   83  
Practice Squad

The explosion of high end contracts is what destroyed the old school build through the draft over 3-5 years. Contract attrition makes it impossible. Just ask the Chargers. You can't keep your core star players on the roster long enough to develop home grown talent to build a Lombardi Trophy contender roster.

Now the Rams are building around an elite franchise QB, a good OL, a couple of elite WRs, solid TEs, and a complimentary RB. Defensively they have a couple of pass rushers and 4 decent DBs to build their defensive roster around.

In this draft I think defensively they need not only an edge but also, a LB, CB and probably a NT. Brown IMO is still a question mark as a starter. He's not a two gap NT if that is what Shula wants at that position. As a 1T NT Brown might blossom as a force inside but it remains to be seen.

Snead has spent his money wisely in the FAs he's signed. IMO signing White has garnered a lot of attention, but signing Parkinson, Jonah Jackson, and Curl will have a major impact on this season. Higbee's injury puts his season in doubt. But between Parkinson and Allen they are solid at TE. Stafford will not lack for quality receivers, and with this OL he's going to have time.

With the way Snead has rebuilt this secondary with White, Williams and Curl I don't have anymore worries about the D. I think this defense will finish ranked in the top half of the league. If they do, with this offense and defense no one is going to want to play the Rams.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 29 2024