36 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by ramsman34
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8638  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Original round tender??? He was undrafted.

by BrooklynRam74
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   204  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

ramsman34 wrote:Original round tender??? He was undrafted.

Maybe that's the minimum tender then??? 🤷‍♂️

by Indrid Cold
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   865  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

BrooklynRam74 wrote:Maybe that's the minimum tender then??? 🤷‍♂️

Yes. Rams receive no draft pick compensation if he gets an offer and they don't match.

2nd round tender is $4.89M, I think. I'd probably do that one. Cut Noteboom and that's the cap money to pay his contract right there. Someone wants to overpay, then take the 2nd rounder and run.

by PARAM
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12295  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:Yes. Rams receive no draft pick compensation if he gets an offer and they don't match.

2nd round tender is $4.89M, I think. I'd probably do that one. Cut Noteboom and that's the cap money to pay his contract right there. Someone wants to overpay, then take the 2nd rounder and run.

First round was over 6. Second round was just under 5. Right of first refusal was the cheapest....IIRC just under 4. Wise move. If nobody makes him an offer, we get him cheap. If somebody offers him we can match. And with the little time he's spent at LT and the depth of the OT draft class, will he get any huge offers?

by ramsman34
2 months 1 week ago

Indrid Cold wrote:Yes. Rams receive no draft pick compensation if he gets an offer and they don't match.

Exactly. I was thrown off by the language. Truth be told I was driving at the time. lol. Makes no sense they wouldn’t tender him higher if they don’t want him , get something for him. If no one bites, the difference is $1.7 mil kinda chump change.

by ramsman34
2 months 1 week ago

PARAM wrote:First round was over 6. Second round was just under 5. Right of first refusal was the cheapest....IIRC just under 4. Wise move. If nobody makes him an offer, we get him cheap. If somebody offers him we can match. And with the little time he's spent at LT and the depth of the OT draft class, will he get any huge offers?

I guess the Rams must really believe no one will offer him anything and they get him cheap or can match if it’s a little more than “cheap”. We will see how smart it is.

by /zn/
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6789  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:First round was over 6. Second round was just under 5. Right of first refusal was the cheapest....IIRC just under 4. Wise move. If nobody makes him an offer, we get him cheap. If somebody offers him we can match. And with the little time he's spent at LT and the depth of the OT draft class, will he get any huge offers?

ramsman34 wrote:I guess the Rams must really believe no one will offer him anything and they get him cheap or can match if it’s a little more than “cheap”. We will see how smart it is.

This all sort of reminds me of Warner and the 99 expansion draft. In a calculated gamble, DV & co. assumed the Browns would not take an unknown qb, and they also counted on the fact that if/when the Browns drafted one player from their designated pool of 5 expansion draft players, they had the right to remove up to two of the remaining four players from the draft pool. (As it happened, the Browns did not take any Rams players.)

How does it remind me of that? Not that Jackson is comparable in talent to Warner. It's because the 2024 Ram seem to be under the impression that no team is going to go after a vet like Jackson when the Rams can match the offer in the same year where the draft is loaded at OL. For other teams, do you come up with an offer you think the Ram won't match, or just pick a guy in a draft that is loaded at LOT? So it's a calculated gamble in that respect. Plus the other side of the coin is, if someone actually does sign Jackson to an unmatchable deal, it's a good year for the Rams to draft a left OT. So it's kind of can't lose/can't lose (which is just short of win/win).

Jackson was solid down the stretch in 2023. With a great IOL you can still have a top OL with a "solid" as opposed to "elite" LOT. I expect Jackson to stay, and expect to be a solid as he was in 2023 after the bye. So the way it looks now, that would mean they would have a solid LOT with a great IOL.

by Indrid Cold
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   865  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Nothing is real yet until they actually place the tender.

by /zn/
2 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6789  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:Nothing is real yet until they actually place the tender.

True and in fact the first reports might not be accurate. Underline in this quote is mine:

Jourdan Rodrigue@JourdanRodrigue
The Rams are planning to tender RFA left tackle Alaric Jackson, according to a source (as JFowlerESPN said yesterday). They haven’t settled on the level of tender yet and have until early next week to do so. Jackson was a UDFA, so the RofFR would be $3M. Second round is $4.89M,
First round is $6.82M. As a reminder, if another team submits an offer sheet to an RFA, the original team can opt to match or else receive the pick correlating to the tender (if pick value is attached).

• 1 / 4
36 posts May 20 2024