by 69RamFan
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   3212  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I feel with our first pick at 19,

Looking at the current roster,

I feel the first pick should be an edge rusher,

IMO, that is the most needed position out of all of our starting positions.

Thats if the RAMs feel its one of their top five picks on their draft board.

It has to be a pick that can be a plug and play starter.

On offense:
We have our QB1 and 2.

We have our five men OL and a sixth man swing.

We have our RB1 & 2

We are four deep in WR

We have two good TE to be able to start.

On Defense:

Our DL:
Brown/NT, Turner/DT
Move Hoecht back to DE

Edge: OLB/Young and an OPEN SPOT

ILB: Jones

Corners: White & Williams, Durant, Kendrick
Safety: Curl, Lake, Yeast

Every position I've listed is based for that first pick at 19th,

and if that edge rusher is there, I say we grab him.

If not, then go to plan B,

and pick up the best rotational player on their top five pick on their draft board.

by ramsman34
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

It think we have to look at the evidence - what traits the team looks for in players and then break that down to position specific. Most importantly, how they evaluate their team and the moves they make to play the best complementary ball. This last point is how they are “showing their hand”. To play the best complementary ball they are purposely making the offense stronger by investing in it. They have the most bonafide playmakers on that side. Their theory is a truly dominant offense helps the D tremendously by putting pressure on opposing offenses to have to score to keep pace. That makes those offenses fairly one dimensional. That helps the D, obviously. The D will, in theory, have many opportunities at a limited game plan as they will be playing with a lead.

All of this is theoretical of course. But, if you have a QB you build around him for success. If you have a great QB you do the same for greater success.

They are going to trade up for a difference maker on O. Then they will fortify the D

I’m convinced of this. Although I have laid out my hedge if I am wrong. lol

by majik
1 month 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

They found two plug and play players on the DL last year in the 3rd round in Young and Turner, so I think Snead is confident he can find one after the 1st.

by PARAM
1 month 19 hours ago
 Total posts:   12293  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:It think we have to look at the evidence - what traits the team looks for in players and then break that down to position specific. Most importantly, how they evaluate their team and the moves they make to play the best complementary ball. This last point is how they are “showing their hand”. To play the best complementary ball they are purposely making the offense stronger by investing in it. They have the most bonafide playmakers on that side. Their theory is a truly dominant offense helps the D tremendously by putting pressure on opposing offenses to have to score to keep pace. That makes those offenses fairly one dimensional. That helps the D, obviously. The D will, in theory, have many opportunities at a limited game plan as they will be playing with a lead.

All of this is theoretical of course. But, if you have a QB you build around him for success. If you have a great QB you do the same for greater success.

They are going to trade up for a difference maker on O. Then they will fortify the D

Many cite our RZ offense sucked last year. That's not totally correct. We finished #4 in RZ TD% (63.3 %; 35 of 55). But.....we were 'only' #8 in RZ TDs and #13 in RZ attempts. Our RZ offense could certainly use a boost....it wouldn't hurt. But IMO, the problem has been starting fast.

We scored a TD on our opening drive 6 times in 18 games. In just 1 game (of 18) last year, we scored TDs on our first two possessions. And in only 5 games did we score on our first two possessions. Correct that AND add a playmaker or two to the offense and it may be easier to gain leads that make opponents predictable.

But I think they've already started those corrections on both accounts (fast starts and RZ). They beefed up the middle of the OL. That will help with the run game and short yardage game. They signed an excellent blocking TE and RZ threat. And they kept the vet WR corp as is.

So what can they do to improve further? Certainly a stud LT would be a possibility. Definitely a stud WR or TE would help. And a complimentary RB to Kyren. On that last one, many are writing off Zach Evans and they may be right. We'll see what they think of him by how high they take a RB. FWIW, I think they're going to draft one. They may go for a big RB or one who specializes in short yardage to enhance the improvement of the interior OL. My choices would be Audric Estime (who fits both catagories) or Blake Corum who, despite his small stature seems to always gain the short yards. Will that happen in the NFL? I don't know. Braelon Allen is another big back but I've read the problem with him is he looks for holes instead of making them (runs like a smaller guy). And lastly, another RB who doesn't fit either catagory but may have success just the same is Ray Davis.

We'll see. The thing is, depending on what they're looking for offensively, will determine which direction (offense or defense) they go with their first pick. If it's a LT, WR or TE, odds are offense first. If it's a RB, odds are IMO defense first. I get the argument, the draft isn't always about the now, it's also about the future. I agree BUT, it's about the now FIRST and down the road, secondarily.

by actionjack
1 month 18 hours ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:It think we have to look at the evidence - what traits the team looks for in players and then break that down to position specific. Most importantly, how they evaluate their team and the moves they make to play the best complementary ball. This last point is how they are “showing their hand”. To play the best complementary ball they are purposely making the offense stronger by investing in it. They have the most bonafide playmakers on that side. Their theory is a truly dominant offense helps the D tremendously by putting pressure on opposing offenses to have to score to keep pace. That makes those offenses fairly one dimensional. That helps the D, obviously. The D will, in theory, have many opportunities at a limited game plan as they will be playing with a lead.

Yes clearly they have and probably will continue to lean into the offense, but if we arent talking about just making the playoffs we are talking about Chips.

In order to challenge for a Super Bowl, we need a MUCH better pass rush. We are ranked towards the bottom in pass rush win rate. So I am def in the camp of adding early and often to EDGE, understanding they may want to add a playmaker.

I think the only mostly sure thing is the Rams will not draft at 19, they will either trade up or trade down IMO.

by PARAM
1 month 16 hours ago
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Yes clearly they have and probably will continue to lean into the offense, but if we arent talking about just making the playoffs we are talking about Chips.

In order to challenge for a Super Bowl, we need a MUCH better pass rush. We are ranked towards the bottom in pass rush win rate. So I am def in the camp of adding early and often to EDGE, understanding they may want to add a playmaker.

I think the only mostly sure thing is the Rams will not draft at 19, they will either trade up or trade down IMO.

I agree with your take on defense. Edge or disruptive DT.

On the sure thing, I don't feel certain on trade up or trade down, though of the two I feel strongest on a trade down. I think, depending on how the first 15 unfold, they could stay put and draft at #19, then trade up in the second.....to 42? 35?

I agree with ramsman34 that we don't need 11 draftees. 8 or 9 would be fine and that gives them ammo to move up multiple times.

It's gonna be interesting......just 10 days away!!!

by Elvis
1 month 16 hours ago
 Total posts:   38762  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams visits according to Walter Football (only one top 30 visit so far):

https://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeet ... am2024.php

Karsen Barnhart, Offensive Tackle, Michigan (PRO)
Audric Estime, Running Back, Notre Dame (COM)
Troy Fautanu, Offensive Guard, Washington (PRO)
Jaylan Ford, Outside Linebacker, Texas (COM)
Bo Nix, Quarterback, Oregon (COM)
Andru Phillips, Cornerback, Kentucky (T30)

by actionjack
1 month 16 hours ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Rams visits according to Walter Football (only one top 30 visit so far):

https://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeet ... am2024.php

Karsen Barnhart, Offensive Tackle, Michigan (PRO)
Audric Estime, Running Back, Notre Dame (COM)
Troy Fautanu, Offensive Guard, Washington (PRO)
Jaylan Ford, Outside Linebacker, Texas (COM)
Bo Nix, Quarterback, Oregon (COM)
Andru Phillips, Cornerback, Kentucky (T30)

Been rumors about Rams interest in Estime, will see

Bo Nix :shock2: :shock2:

by PARAM
1 month 15 hours ago
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Been rumors about Rams interest in Estime, will see

Bo Nix :shock2: :shock2:

I think Fautanu will be gone by the time #19 comes around but that dude is a beast. He can play LT, RT, G and I wouldn't doubt he could probably handle center too. I would not be upset with that pick, if it were to happen, despite our top 6 OL being "set" for 2024. That would certainly be a pick leaning more towards the future.

Estime is another beast. Would love that pick in the 3rd.

I also heard talk about the Rams being interested in Barnhart. Which would certainly be a pick from the third round down.

by actionjack
1 month 15 hours ago
Superstar

PARAM wrote:I think Fautanu will be gone by the time #19 comes around but that dude is a beast. He can play LT, RT, G and I wouldn't doubt he could probably handle center too. I would not be upset with that pick, if it were to happen, despite our top 6 OL being "set" for 2024. That would certainly be a pick leaning more towards the future.

Estime is another beast. Would love that pick in the 3rd.

I also heard talk about the Rams being interested in Barnhart. Which would certainly be a pick from the third round down.

I think it would be very interesting going for a LT. It would no doubt solidify the line for the future, but are Rams thinking that far out right now.

• 29 / 49
487 posts May 16 2024