126 posts
  • 5 / 13
 by max
3 months 15 hours ago
 Total posts:   5583  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Can't believe Niners are favored. I'll be rooting for the Chiefs, of course, but really thought they'd be the favorite.

The Niners have shown against GB and Detroit how vulnerable they are. This is not one of their better defenses and the offense has issues too.

KC does have one of their best Mahomes era defenses and they've show in the playoffs their offense is a dangerous as ever.

I'm no doubt biased but i think the spread is wrong...

I expect the line to move to Chiefs by 2 b4 the game starts.

by PARAM
3 months 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Dumb decisions passing on the FGs but that's how he played it all year. If Reynolds doesn't drop the first one the entire outcome might have been different.

Now onto the SB. What's the over/under on:

KC yardage on the ground? 150? 160?
I'll take the over.
Purdy getting picked? 2? 3 times?

by max
3 months 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   5583  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Dumb decisions passing on the FGs but that's how he played it all year. If Reynolds doesn't drop the first one the entire outcome might have been different.

Now onto the SB. What's the over/under on:

KC yardage on the ground? 150? 160?
I'll take the over.
Purdy getting picked? 2? 3 times?

I can’t figure Purdy out. I get that he’s got a good feel for the game. Knows when to run, can make throws to wide open guys when not pressured. But I’ve seen him put up some ducks, and get lucky when defenders drop easy picks. KC has good CBs. I expect them to pick him off.

The Niners D doesn’t look as good as Ravens D. If they don’t get to Mahomes with their front 4, which I don’t expect they will, he’ll light them up. So yeah, take the over.

But what I don’t get most of all is Mahomes not getting the respect he deserves by the odds makers. No way the defending SB champions with a healthy Mahomes should ever be an underdog in this game.

by /zn/
3 months 4 hours ago
 Total posts:   6774  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Was just pointing out that Stafford can make plays that Goff and many others can’t. Goff played well enough to win. Dropped balls and that fumble did them in.

Yeah Stafford is better than all but a handful of qbs, so putting that on Goff doesn't mean much. Stafford's also better than Purdy. We expect that and can reasonably assume it's the case.

by Elvis
3 months 1 hour ago
 Total posts:   38620  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It's now SF by 1 after opening at 2 or 2.5.

The last 5 SB's, 8/10 teams had head coaches who also called the offense. The other two were Bruce Arians and Sirriani who are also OC/HCs but weren't calling plays.

So that may not be the only model, but it's a pretty good one...

by PARAM
3 months 31 minutes ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Just can't get over Kansas City......in the Superbowl 4 of the last 5 years. They're getting like New England.......familiarity breeding a lot of contempt!

Last 25 years (including 2023)

New England 9 Superbowls
Kansas City 4
Rams 4
Pittsburgh, NY Giants, San Francisco, Philly, Seattle 3 each
Tampa, Carolina, Denver, Baltimore, Indianapolis 2 each
Cincinnati, Oakland, Tennessee, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, Arizona, Chicago 1 each

N.England and KC 13 times, everybody else in the AFC 12
The NFC is a bit more diverse.

by Elvis
3 months 29 minutes ago
 Total posts:   38620  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It's impressive, Mahomes has been in the AFC Championship game all 6 years he's been the starter and this is his 4th SB...

by actionjack
2 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3987  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Complete and utter choke by the Lions. Those types of losses are hard to overcome.
It would not shock me if the Lions fell back some after blowing a trip to the SB.

You got to kick the FG to put the game back to 3 scores. Even worse was not tying it with 7 ish minutes to go. But overall a gagging meltdown by players and coaches...

-Reynolds drops
-Gibbs fumble
-doink of helmet to setup TD (I knew it was over at this point)
-Goff off on several throws
-Not fielding the massive punt inside the 5.
-Laporta drop

by rams74
2 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1480  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

actionjack wrote:Complete and utter choke by the Lions. Those types of losses are hard to overcome.
It would not shock me if the Lions fell back some after blowing a trip to the SB.

You got to kick the FG to put the game back to 3 scores. Even worse was not tying it with 7 ish minutes to go. But overall a gagging meltdown by players and coaches...

-Reynolds drops
-Gibbs fumble
-doink of helmet to setup TD (I knew it was over at this point)
-Goff off on several throws
-Not fielding the massive punt inside the 5.
-Laporta drop

There were certain points during the season where the Niners appeared almost unbeatable. But these playoff Niners are not that. They've lost whatever mojo was working for them earlier, and while they still look very good in spots, it's just in spots. They are eminently beatable, somebody's just got to do it.

They needed help to overcome that deficit to the Lions yesterday, and they got it. Lots of it. Some of the help was provided by the Lions, some of it by dumb luck.

I was so looking forward to the Niners losing on their home field, it was pretty disheartening to watch that happen the way it did. And that means it was that much worse for the Lions and their fans. It could leave a mark and affect their season in 2024.

• 5 / 13
126 posts Apr 29 2024