38 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by AvengerRam
10 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

ramsww wrote:stop attacking me personally or I’ll have you banned. That’s a joke but it is amusing how Avenger can insult people on a regular basis with no issue from the moderators.

Its downright hilarious that you view disagreement with your unsupported viewpoint to be a personal attack.

I didn’t say I had a better plan nor have I ever said it wasn’t worth a super bowl title. The Rams are at it again. Logan Bruss (3rd round) got a 4 yr contract at 5 mil and about 900K signing bonus. Avila 2’d round pick #36 (no $$ known yet) agreed to terms with a 4 yr deal. The 4th yr 10% guaranteed and the first 3 yrs FULLY GUARANTEED. Never done in the NFL at the 36th pick. They are innovative but we’re still young because we had to completely blow up the D and start from scratch. All I’m saying? It’s an interesting approach. I guess they were worried Avila would sit out the 2023 season.😂

Rookies are paid on a scale. From year to year, players and their agents have had some success, within that scale, negotiating better guarantees. In 2021, the 36th pick was able to get the first two years of his contract guaranteed, and 58% of year 3. In 2022, the 36th pick received three full years guaranteed. In 2023, the Rams added a 10% guarantee in year 4 (and, in doing so, were able to sign Avila a month sooner than the Jets signed pick #36, Breese Hall).

Derick Hall, selected by the Seahawks one pick after Avila, negotiated an 85% payment of his signing bonus before the start of training camp, and a $100k guarantee in year 4.

The suggestion that the Rams 10% guarantee on year 4 (about $200k) represents a significant outlier or an example of the Rams being "at it again" is just wrong.

(And, no... I don't care if you perceive that correction of your erroneous assertion to be a personal attack.)

by ramsww
10 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   475  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

AvengerRam wrote:Its downright hilarious that you view disagreement with your unsupported viewpoint to be a personal attack.

Rookies are paid on a scale. From year to year, players and their agents have had some success, within that scale, negotiating better guarantees. In 2021, the 36th pick was able to get the first two years of his contract guaranteed, and 58% of year 3. In 2022, the 36th pick received three full years guaranteed. In 2023, the Rams added a 10% guarantee in year 4 (and, in doing so, were able to sign Avila a month sooner than the Jets signed pick #36, Breese Hall).

Derick Hall, selected by the Seahawks one pick after Avila, negotiated an 85% payment of his signing bonus before the start of training camp, and a $100k guarantee in year 4.

The suggestion that the Rams 10% guarantee on year 4 (about $200k) represents a significant outlier or an example of the Rams being "at it again" is just wrong.

(And, no... I don't care if you perceive that correction of your erroneous assertion to be a personal attack.)

And you are putting Avila on a scale with Breece (in running for ROY 2022) and Holland one of the top young Safeties in the NFL? OK, well see. Let’s hope his rookie year is better than Bruss’. A Guard is rarely put in the category of RBs and Safeties but hey, Mr. Silver Lining. Keep smiling. I think it was a solid, not great pick and I look forward to him starting but from the bench it won’t look great. Funny how you’re so cock sure and we don’t even know the $$ spent yet.

by /zn/
10 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6773  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The Rams aren't hamstrung. They could free up plenty of cap by restructuring Donald and/or Kupp. They could sign players to back loaded deals which teams (including the Rams) do all the time.

So far they're choosing not to do these things. I think the more interesting conversation is why?

Yes they did not have to be in this dead money situation and it looks very much like they chose it rather than do their usual cap magic. So I don't agree with the line that says they are paying in 23 for "buying a title" in 21. They could have managed all this differently in 23, without the dead cap money. All of this is a deliberate choice.

It looks very much like what they say it is. They decided to re-stock in 23 instead of doing the same year by year balancing act through re-structurings and using future cap space.

It seems like a context-driven situation. The injuries in 22 could have led to lots of different reactions, but it seems like they just took the opportunity to become a young team again while keeping their most crucial stars.

The re-stocking seems to include some re-thinking, especially on defense, where rather than continue to depend on Ramsey and the secondary, they traded that in to make the front 7 more aggressive overall, and to "up" their pass rush.

I also think the re-stocking is also in part a reaction to some disappointments they had in 22. By that I mean the team did not appear ready when the season started, and that was before the injuries mega-obliterated the OL and then Donald and Stafford got hurt. Some coaches and players are gone, is my guess, because of that "lapse," ie. the team not being ready (at least initially) to defend the title.

It's not a rebuild though. If it were a rebuild it would be a badly thought out one, because they kept Donald, Stafford, and Kupp rather than get things for them, which is what an actual rebuild would entail.

But they're not wasting those guys. They're re-stocking a young team around them.

This is all for 24, obviously, but at the same time, they can still be good in 23. I don't buy the line that says they are going to be bad, like in the 4-8 win range, in 23. I think they can be competitive. The schedule doesn't help but a lot can still go right with this team.

by AvengerRam
10 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

ramsww wrote:And you are putting Avila on a scale with Breece (in running for ROY 2022) and Holland one of the top young Safeties in the NFL?

Um…no…the CBA sets the scale, not me. :roll2:
Let’s hope his rookie year is better than Bruss’. A Guard is rarely put in the category of RBs and Safeties but hey, Mr. Silver Lining. Keep smiling. I think it was a solid, not great pick and I look forward to him starting but from the bench it won’t look great. Funny how you’re so cock sure and we don’t even know the $$ spent yet.

If you’re trying NOT to come across as complaining for the sake of complaining, you’re doing an exceedingly bad job. :? :lol2:

by Hacksaw
10 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I vote to eliminate the eye roll emo.

by ramsww
10 months 2 weeks ago
Starter

We now know the 4 yr contract for Avila is 9.25 mil with 3 yrs guaranteed and 10% of yr 4 guaranteed. I don’t have the signing bonus but even though that’s twice the contract Bruss received (3rd) round it’s not a bad contract compared to where rookie deals are going with 2nd round picks getting more guaranteed money. I thought it would have been over 10 mil. Rare to see McVay expect a rookie to start day one.

On a side note Kroenke just became the leading investor in the San Diego Midway redevelopment of the stadium and surrounding area. It’s unfortunate San Diego had to lose the Clippers and Chargers but Stan is still making things happen in So Cal. I wonder what this means for the future of San Diego sports?

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... way-rising

by ramsww
10 months 2 weeks ago
Starter

Looking back I was not surprised to see Cooper Kupp being the only Rookie to start (2017) under McVay as he played 15 games but I can’t say he started day one. I don’t think any other Ram rookie even comes close from Everett to Henderson, Akers, Jefferson, or any D players I can recall.

I’ll look forward to Avila getting paid well and having a long run with the Rams but being the starting Left G not something I expected when he was drafted. As a side note it’s obvious McVay would not have rookies capable of starting as he’s never had a #1 pick. That has to be considered.

• 4 / 4
38 posts Apr 29 2024