11 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by JackPMiller
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

It was always Minnesota or Dallas that iseemed in the 70's to knock us out of the playoffs.

I still remember the Mud Bowl, with heavy rain in a playoff game from the 77. Not sure if too many, which we lost 14-7. I don't want to go into details. We should have won that game

by Hacksaw
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Bud Grant always seemed like your favorite grandpa kind of a guy.

That mud bowl game was a real slap in the face. The old NFL did alternating years to determine home field in the playoffs. One season the Rams were 11 and 1 and still had to go to Minnesota and play in the snow. Of course they lost.
Finally we get the home field advantage in a playoff game and it rained so hard in LA you could hardly tell who was who during the game. Slish slosh splat. Lost again.

Regardless of that he was a great coach and an icon from our past.

Bud Grant RIP..

nfl-lodo.jpg

by St. Loser Fan
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10555  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

When I was a kid I lived for two years in Mankato. Used to be able to ride my bike to the Vikings training camp.

Bud Grant scared me. But I think part of that was an act as he used to growl and angrily stare at us kids watching. I thank him for teaching me some great curse words.

by TomSlick
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

What a great era for RAM football back then. Yeah, didn't win the big one, but the team was routinely good. Great battles with Grant's Vikes...Chuck Foreman, Purple People Eaters, Tarkenton, etc.

by rams1974
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   514  
Veteran

Hacksaw wrote:Bud Grant always seemed like your favorite grandpa kind of a guy.

That mud bowl game was a real slap in the face. The old NFL did alternating years to determine home field in the playoffs. One season the Rams were 11 and 1 and still had to go to Minnesota and play in the snow. Of course they lost.
Finally we get the home field advantage in a playoff game and it rained so hard in LA you could hardly tell who was who during the game. Slish slosh splat. Lost again.

Regardless of that he was a great coach and an icon from our past.

Bud Grant RIP..

nfl-lodo.jpg

Great historical perspective. As a fan who does not fully appreciate 70s and 80s Rams football, thank you sir. Makes you wonder how the Rams would be viewed differently today if they had managed to break through .. I have said this elsewhere but I often wonder if there are oldtimers who can't respect the Rams today because of their falling short in this era.

by PARAM
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12293  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

RIP Bud Grant

A great coach. Always a good team. Never a SB Champion.

by PARAM
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12293  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

rams1974 wrote:Great historical perspective. As a fan who does not fully appreciate 70s and 80s Rams football, thank you sir. Makes you wonder how the Rams would be viewed differently today if they had managed to break through .. I have said this elsewhere but I often wonder if there are oldtimers who can't respect the Rams today because of their falling short in this era.

On the contrary, I respect them that much more for winning 2 Lombardis, when they were always a bridesmaid in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Winning year in and year out like they did in those days only goes so far. "Get over the hump for christsakes!". Eventually, it's not much different than "that 7-9 bullshit". TGSOT and McVays Rams got over that hump. I don't care if 7-9, 8-8 and now 5-12 came along with it. It sure as hell beats 10 wins every year and a postseason exit.

by 69superbowl1
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   29  
Undrafted Free Agent

I am a Ram fan of the 1960's vintage. Bud Grant was my Belicheat, Coach Quiche and whatever Schottenwhiner is coaching. I loathed the Vikings and they made my life hell as a kid. December 27th, 1969 was the pinnacle of all angst in my life (and the genesis for this here fake internet name). If the Rams win that game I am positive they go to the Super Bowl and beat the minor league Chefs. Positive. Bud Grant was a good coach, a great Minnesotan and a thorn in my goddam side for decades. Vaya Condios Senor Grant. I never loathed him, just wished the Rams could have beat that scowl off his face more often. Rams forever.

by 69superbowl1
1 year 2 months ago
 Total posts:   29  
Undrafted Free Agent

Thanks for posting that Jack. I hadn't heard.

• 1 / 2
11 posts May 16 2024