308 posts
  • 15 / 31
 by UtahRam
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   362  
United States of America   Salt Lake City
Starter

Yeah, this sounds like it's coming from his wife; let's start a family and you need to be around more to do that. He probably wanted to see if they could repeat as champs this year and we know how that went. I don't think this is him dodging a rebuild or unhappy with money and I don't think it will be a one year sabbatical either. They're gonna start a family and she wants him home.

by Gareth
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Lotsa speculation, projection, and angst amongst Rams Faithful these days....

Dick Vermeil was 46 years old when he stepped away from the Eagles after 7 seasons in 1982 after Head Coaching them since 1976. His hiatus from the NFL was 13 years (1983-96). As we all know, Dick Vermeil came back to the NFL in 1997 and HC'd Los Ramos to SBXXXIV glory in the 1999 season. Vermeil also had HCing success post-Rams with KC 2001-2005.

So not the same deal as 36 year old yute Sean McVay, IMO.

Watching McVay's presser today, I see Jourdan Rodrique labelled it "reflective". I saw it, coming from Mr. "WeNotMe", as very self-centred.
I didn't see much stoic, selfless, self-sacrificing leadership verbage coming out of McVay's mouth.
More of, "hey, I promise to get back to y'all when I determine what is best....
for me."

McVay has definite talent which led us to a Lombardi Trophy, for which all Rams Fans are grateful, myself included....
but the young gifted Head Coach McVay does NOT walk on water. Two missed Playoff seasons in 6 years make his Ram Teams 67% NFL relevant. On a percentage basis, Chuck Knox did better, and so did Mike Martz. Dick Vermeil also won us a Lombardi......and guess what Rams Fans?
We survived the exits of Mssrs. Knox, Martz and Vermeil........and we shall survive the departure of one Sean McVay.....if in fact, it actually comes to that.

This "burnout factor" doesn't seem to fry the high-strung Mike Tomlin (aged 50) nor 64 year old guys like Andy Reid, nor the 70-somethings Pete Carroll,.....and that Bill Belichick guy.... all of whom apparently, also had some Lombardi successes. :idea2:

But our 36 year old....he evidently senses something! :o

Gee....could it be a long and messy rebuild maybe....and its inherent NFL irrelevancy?? :?2:
Just asking.....and admittedly speculating....just like everybody else. ;)

JMO, but If I am Stan Kroenke, I would not appreciate having my generous (and SIGNED!) Contract extension, just inked last summer, welched-on by Mr. McVay.....
neither personally, nor legally.

Cheers, from cool and drizzly Vancouver, BC.

Interesting that you brought up Andy Reid. Hasn't he had family tragedy on more than one occasion? And he's never stopped coaching. I'm not blaming him or passing any judgment. But I'm pointing out that maybe paying attention to family matters, including the Ukraine situation in this particular case, makes a lot of sense.

I probably shouldn't be, but I am somewhat surprised at the callousness and judgment from so many of you. The guy is a human being and brought so much joy to all of us. Give him a break. Whatever he decides I'm behind him.

by PARAM
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12293  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Interesting that you brought up Andy Reid. Hasn't he had family tragedy on more than one occasion? And he's never stopped coaching. I'm not blaming him or passing any judgment. But I'm pointing out that maybe paying attention to family matters, including the Ukraine situation in this particular case, makes a lot of sense.

I probably shouldn't be, but I am somewhat surprised at the callousness and judgment from so many of you. The guy is a human being and brought so much joy to all of us. Give him a break. Whatever he decides I'm behind him.

Well I can tell you IMHO Andy Reid has ignored his family situation. His kids have been into drugs, guns, DUI and assault. It's like he's said to his wife, "they're your responsibility, I'm earning us big bucks and to do it, I have to invest a lot of time". His kids were arrested for road rage, in which guns and drugs (heroin) were found and IIRC, conveniently no DUI. Being who they were, they got off easy and lord knows if they got away with other shit that never made it to the media. These Philly people love their football. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to find out Lurie eventually had to fire him to get his punk, priveledged, outta control kids out of town!! As the kids got older he involved them in coaching. How'd that work out? DUI and ruining a young girl's life after leaving the Chiefs facility. Apparently, it don't phase Andy, though. He's done those State Farm Personal Price Plan commercials.

Maybe McVay is a real person...with real issues he feels compelled to address? Or maybe he's just another Superstar like Andy Reid?

by Gareth
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:Maybe McVay is a real person...with real issues he feels compelled to address? Or maybe he's just another Superstar like Andy Reid?

Your first sentence here is pretty much my point. I don't understand your question at the end.

by PARAM
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12293  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Your first sentence here is pretty much my point. I don't understand your question at the end.

I'm simply pointing out, I don't know. Nor does anybody else. I've decided to give the guy the benefit of doubt.

The Ukraine connection might be bigger than we can fathom. Young guy, newly married, concerned/worried wife with family in peril. Clearly, there are things more important than football and it obviously has him at conflict. The more I read, the more I think the booth media stuff is an unfortunate side angle that is putting him in a false light. He turned them down last year and probably lost his chance as the position has been filled. Maybe he'll figure out a way to get it under control and return or maybe he'll leave. Welcome back or thanks for the memories........turning this franchise around and delivering a Lombardi.

For sure, he's no Andy Reid (and that is not a negative) or Pete Carroll who cheated his ass off at USC, then left them in a lurch when the shit hit the fan. I don't pretend to know the level of stress McVay is under, real or imagined. Good luck.

by Hacksaw
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

actionjack wrote:I dont love it either, it would have to be a 1 year deal if anything, after that move on.

But what i dont want to do is start over with a whole new coaching staff and building. Baker has mentioned consistently how great and different our building is, so I would like to do whatever it takes to maintain that. Despite this year, we have a winning culture which has been extremely hard to develop prior to our time with McVay.

I hope McVay stays and delegates more and we run it back again, will see.

100%. Others have repeatedly said it too. We all assume it's McVay,, and it surely is. LA / Rams are a destination already. McVay is a big part of that..

As far as starting a family, she knew what she was getting into marrying an NFLer. Along with the wealth and fame.
As far as the Ukraine thing, her folks are choosing to stay there (from what I've read) and realistically, how much can the McVays do from here anyway?

It's counterintuitive to balk at a dream job and all that cash and let everyone down in the process?

Best of luck to him but I hope he uses his head, not his stressed out disappointed emotional filter. .

by ramman2999
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   572  
Veteran

I’m make it simple like this.

We will know if Sean Mcvay is coming back who the rams are interviewing for jobs. If they have that job to fill you will be seeing guys come in here.

2. If you see Raheem Morris interviewing for jobs you have to think Sean Mcvay is coming back. If Raheem Morris takes a head coaching job Sean Mcvay is coming back.

3. If you see Raheem Morris not interviewing for jobs that can mean something and Sean Mcvay is not coming back and Raheem is waiting for this job.

4. But if you don’t see anything about guys coming into the building we should feel good nothing to see here and hear say.

5. I do think Sean Mcvay should hire a seasoned offensive coordinator former head coach to run the offensive coordinator room and Quarterback room. Give him more time with the wife let him delegate.

That guy I would sign and consider is Kliff Kingsbury just got fired. Friendly with Sean Mcvay has respect for offense. Great guy let him run offense he has autonomy and then they could collaborate on things. He will want to jump back in it. Just like Charles Nagy in Kansas City with Andy Reid.

Great point Utah Fan I do think the wife has a lot to do with this.

by ramman2999
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   572  
Veteran

lol not the former pitcher of the Cleveland Indians though it would be a story. Charles Nagy.

Not the former pitcher of the Cleveland Indians Charles Nagy.

Matt Nagy.

by norcalramfan
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
Starter

After watching yesterday's presser and reading the ESPN article that was published from last Summer (which by the way I dismissed as journalistic hyperbole at the time) I'm led to believe McVay needs a psychologist or "life coach" who can monitor his stress, time management, delegation ability, familial relationships etc.

The dude is 24x7x365 football and cannot effectively deal with losing. To read that he yells at his father, awakes at 2:45 AM, sits in an almost catatonic state after losing to Bill Belichick in the SB leads me to believe he needs someone to give him "couch time" so he can better cope with what it is an NFL HC has to deal with. Losing is as much part of the NFL landscape as winning. Hell .500 gets you in the playoffs so he really needs to learn not to hang himself on every loss.

I wish this drama didn't play itself out in the open as much as it has, but the Rams braintrust has to get him help and pull out all the stops "behind the scenes" so he can be at his best to be a HC but stay grounded and out of the dark place he goes to when he loses.

Here's what I would do:

1. Find that "life coach/psychologist" and require McVay go meet often with him/her. Put that life coach on the payroll as a full-time employee and make him/her available to the entire team and coaching staff. McVay needs to identify what he values most and set the priorities and needs help to not deviate from what he values like family and friends etc.
2. Hire an OC of his choosing and allow McVay, no make it mandatory that he must leave the building by a certain time each day.
3. Perhaps hire an Asst. HC who neither has any offensive or defensive responsibilities and only supports McVay and nothing else. He is second in command of the team and allows McVay to get away.
4. Continue with what the Rams have done in the past and not require McVay to attend the combine and Senior Bowl. Give him as much time as necessary to stay away from football in the off season.
5. Let the asst. HC run OTA's which is nothing more than glorified walk-throughs and keep McVay charged.
6. Identify clear lines of responsibilities. As an example the HC should not be burdened with the style and color of towels for the locker room (I use that as a sarcastic example but the HC shouldn't worry about extraneous BS stuff).
7. Stan and Demoff should attend the next owners meeting and ask the NFL for a new rule that lessens the required media availability for the HC. Does he really need to attend all of the media stuff as the practice week advances? Can the asst. HC handle some of those duties?
8. Eliminate the Monday night coaches show produced by the Rams (published on the teams website) allowing McVay to get out of the building earlier.

These are just some random musings, but it certainly sounds like he wants to coach he just needs some sound guard rails to keep him grounded and balanced and not too low when they lose. This can be accomplished with professional help.

• 15 / 31
308 posts May 16 2024