573 posts
  • 1 / 58
 by ramsman34
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8576  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Now, I already know the usual suspects here who conduct themselves as the leading authorities on our OL. That’s fine. Your opinions are more than welcome and solicited. And I am sure you all will get into hearty debate. Please, keep it on topic and leave the personal sniping out of it. Thank you in advance.

That said, here we are.

We started the season:
Boom-Edwards-Allen-Shelton-Hav
Most had cautious optimism. That could be a pretty decent line.

Backing them up in no order
Anchrum (lost for season)
Arcuri (ps)
Pircher (ps)
Skura (ps)
Brewer (ps)
Evans
Jackson
Kolone (ps)

Bruss (lost for season)
Aboushi (added after week 2, on active roster)
Allen - injured, might be back this week or next
*Shelton - dreaded high ankle, out 6-8 weeks.

We will now be starting
Boom-Edwards (if cleared) or Evans-Kolone-Jackson-Hav

You can do the math for the remaining backups.

OL against Dallas:
Boom/Starter
Edwards/Starter (if cleared) or Evans/3rd stringer
Kolone/PS-3rd stringer
Jackson/second stringer but at OT (A Jax was to be our swing tackle) out of position at RG
Hav/Starter.

Most would say that is not a recipe for winning, especially against the top teams. And a lot of our games have been and will be against top teams. A Gap pressure, T/E twists, Mug looks and blitzes, delay A Gap blitzes will be a problem for any team with what we now have on the interior. And all the TE/blocking WR help in the would doesn’t matter on the inside.

Some may opine, as I have before but am not so sure now, that the Rams draft and acquire decent to good OL, then develop them to their ceiling. That plan is great as it frees up $ for skill players. It’s also a great plan when your starters stay healthy and when your developmental players reach their potential. The problem with the latter is that it takes time; 2-3 seasons usually.

The Rams are now having to accelerate that development curve like a Space X rocket launch. As Snead said today on the coaches show, this adversity and development will pay off down the road. All we can hope for is that “down the road” means late in the season AND that we are still relevant and in contention at that time.

There are a number of concerns with this team and almost all of them on the offensive side of the ball. The D does have some warts but is in much better shape. However, I think most would agree that if the OL is playing well, the Rams can play with and beat anyone.

So the argument is going to be that the model isn’t working. At least not under these conditions. But the contrary would surely mean we wouldn’t have some of the high end, “star” playmakers.

Can’t have it both ways.

I think with a little luck on the injury front. And if Snead has acquired some cats who are, or will soon be better than we expect - we might actually be in pretty good shape when it matters. We just have to find ways to win more than we lose as that process solidifies.

Fire away.

by /zn/
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6773  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Some may opine, as I have before but am not so sure now, that the Rams draft and acquire decent to good OL, then develop them to their ceiling. That plan is great as it frees up $ for skill players. It’s also a great plan when your starters stay healthy

The issue right now, IMO, is not acquiring players. It's the number of injuries. In 4 games they started 3 centers and 5 guards (plus lost another guard in Bruss before the season). And if you back to the superbowl OL, just 5 games ago, they have used 6 guards in that span, due to free agency (Corbett obviously) and injuries.

You can't play well when you're on your 3rd center and 5th guard in 4 games. That's too much damage. Your whole line gets thrown off, not to mention you're down to guys like Evans (who, notice, was the bottom rung guy at guard). If injuries like that happen to any team, they're screwed. Nobody is deep enough to start 3 centers and 5 guards in 4 games.

When OL injuries get past a certain point, they are in trouble. You can handle a couple of replacements during a season (especially if they're not at the same time) but nobody handles that many replacements. Or if there ever has been an example, it's extremely rare.

But! Edwards is coming back, as is Allen, and that leaves Jackson as the only injury replacement starter. So far, near as I can see, Jackson is playing well when he has a stable OL around him.

So soon it will be the starting OL, with Jackson replacing Shelton. That's better than the entire interior OL being replacements.

Having said that, this is not an argument against drafting OL--and in high rounds--in 2023. In fact I kind of expect them to do that.

by ramsman34
1 year 6 months ago

I agree. Our record is a product of OL injures more than anything else. We will see once 4 of the starting 5 are back. I think Jackson can hang at LG for the rest of the year if need be.

by ramsman34
1 year 6 months ago

And yes, they should invest earlier in the draft at OL in ‘23 for sure.

by CanuckRightWinger
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

IMO we won SBLVI last year because McSnead pulled-off the monster QB swap for Matthew Stafford.
There is no chance in hell we ever win SBLVI with Jared Goff! Period. Full Stop.

I notice you didn't mention Stafford in your OL summation.
To me, the goal for 2022 is to repeat as NFL Champs. We need a healthy Stafford to accomplish that!
After 4 games, Stafford is the second most sacked QB in the NFL...so that's on the OL.
We have a very unthreatening run game...so that's on OL mostly,and our RBs. Poor run game hurts our PlayAction component. Above makes nice sleeping for Rams opposing DCs.

We see it already....against the 3 Playoff teams so far we averaged 13 PPG...overall we're 17.5 PPG. OUCH!
Very, very unlikely to Run It Back in 2022 with Rob Boras PPG like we've had so far.
Unless our 2022 OL improves dramatically, we will continue to see the same kind of Dink'n'Dunk type Offense like vs SF from the Rams going forward, as Stafford is being pressured consistently and must get the ball out quick. McVay masterful scheming will help hopefully....but Kolone and Evans are not gonna remind anybody of Rich Saul nor Tom Mack anytime soon :(

Spotrac.com showed Los Ramos as 30th in positional spending on OL before the season started.
We're only 4 games in....still early....
but so far our 2022 Ram OL has not performed as advertised via reports during TC.
The Rams made no moves to replace ProBowl caliber LT Whitworth, nor steady-eddy OG Austin Corbett and decided to promote from within.....same as in Playoff-less 2019 :?

The OL needs to keep our 34 year old QB upright & healthy.....or we really are sunk for 2022 :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

by ramsman34
1 year 6 months ago

I couldn’t address everything Canuck. Had to leave room for all the great takes that are coming. Like yours! But seriously, I took that as a given. Bad OL = inordinate pressure = beat down Stafford.

by ramsman34
1 year 6 months ago

Yes they can invest high draft capital at reasonable cap cost and/or get FAs at significant cap cost. And they can continue to develop unheralded players. What CANT happen is what IS happening - numerous significant injuries all along the OL.

Canuck is right in that currently we are a short passing can’t run the ball offense. That is easy to defend. Especially if you can rush 4 and cover with 7. It makes the space at and just beyond the LOS as crowded as Times Square on NYE.

MCV has his work cut out for sure.

by PARAM
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

So is it "the OL is a bunch of untalented second tier players, an extreme weakness for Los Ramos" or "the OL has been banged up early and often"? Of course it could be both if that terrible showing vs Buffalo is evidenced.

This has the similarities of 2019, our only non playoff year under McVay. But I wouldn't put losing Corbett up there with losing Saffold. Losing Whitworth was big but Noteboom hasn't been a turnstile at LT.

"They should have done more over the years to build a better OL"? Since when does talent equal good health? Those calling for highly drafted OL the last 4 years were practically giddy when they drafted Bruss but he was gone in preseason.

I know, in theory, if you're two deep at each position of the OL, covering for injuries would be, should be much easier. But then, losing a #3 WR or #3 CB might hurt more. No team is 2 deep at all 22 starting positions.

This is going to be McVay's biggest test in his short career. It doesn't look good right now.

by /zn/
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6773  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I know, in theory, if you're two deep at each position of the OL, covering for injuries would be, should be much easier.

Nobody is that deep on the OL. I can't think of a single example I've ever seen or heard of. No one can play if they're on their 8th interior lineman and have replacements at all 3 spots. Especially if it's within 4 games (so all 3 new guys don't get time to cohere as a unit).

I would say this line, when healthy, or at least relatively healthy, is solid. What we saw Monday was the result of extensive injuries.

And they're very good at finding and developing guys. It looks like Jackson can play. He needs to be playing next to 2 healthy more veteran guys (center and ROG) but he can play--and backs up LOT on top of it.

by rams1974
1 year 6 months ago
 Total posts:   514  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

As frustrating as it is, I'm willing to write off the MNF as a potential one-off aberration. I know, I hated it too. It stinks because I felt like the win was there for the taking, end the streak, lots of happy feels, but there were just too many injuries.

A long-time gripe I had with the Rams prior to 2021 was that you kind of knew exactly what they were after 3-4 games. They would exhibit a very clear ceiling and not surprise you much. They would never go into "championship gear," even in Super Bowls.

Last year was special because they changed all that. I went into December just praying they would have a winning record make the playoffs. But they found championship gear.

So this is wordy but what I am getting at is I am willing to give this coaching staff more latitude than usual now ... that includes how they manage the Oline challenges. In the NFL, how you are playing Sept/Oct barely matters anymore (or even November, natch ;) )

• 1 / 58
573 posts Apr 29 2024