8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by BobCarl
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   4306  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

these two teams (Rams and Lions) are on opposite ends of a spectrum that says “Super Bowl Contender” on one end and “You’re on the Clock” on the other.

BC says: I'm probably quoting too much of the article, but no money is being made here at RFU, so I hope there isn't any action by The Athletic for this. Mods feel free to delete or edit.

Michael Beller wrote:Rams -15.5 vs. Lions
This will be up to 17 by Sunday. You can mark it down right now and make fun of me on Twitter and in the comments section of this column on Sunday if it isn’t. Everyone in the football-consuming world wants to give the Lions credit for some sort of indefinable grittiness metric. It’s always some variation of “They play hard,” or, “They don’t quit,” or even, “They have a lot of pride.” That all may be true. And guess what? All that hard play, all that lack of quit, all that pride has resulted in a team that hasn’t taken a snap on offense—not even one—with a lead this season.

Nearly every team in the league is a bad matchup for the Lions, but the Rams present a uniquely rough challenge. The Lions have allowed the second-most yards per play and most yards per pass attempt this season. They’re 29th in the NFL in pressures. They’re 28th in total defense EPA and last in pass defense EPA.

The Rams are a mirror image on offense. They’re second in yards per play and first in YPA. They’re second in total offensive EPA and first in pass offense EPA. The Rams offensive line has allowed the fifth-fewest pressures and second-fewest sacks and boasts the seventh-best pressure rate in the league. If you had unlimited resources to build an offense with the express purpose of beating the Lions by three touchdowns, the Rams offense is exactly what would come out of the hopper.

Laying 15.5 points is a big ask, but these two teams are on opposite ends of a spectrum that says “Super Bowl Contender” on one end and “You’re on the Clock” on the other. Couple that with the fact that the Rams’ greatest strengths align perfectly with the Lions’ most glaring weaknesses, and you have the perfect recipe for a blowout.

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

35-17 Rams

by aeneas1
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

if the 15.5 holds it will be the second biggest closing spread of the 2021 season - the bills were favored by 17.5 in week 4 vs the hapless texans and whipped them 40-0.

the texans rank 29th in offensive scoring and 30th in offensive points allowed, and will easily be one of the softest teams the bills face this season, along with the jags.

the lions rank 28th in offensive scoring and 28th in offensive points allowed, and will easily be one of the softest teams the rams will face this season, along with the texans and jags.

also, if the 15.5 holds, it will be the second biggest spread of the mcvay/rams era - the biggest spread was last season vs the jets, the rams were favored by 17.5 at home, only to get punched in the mouth.

the 1999-2001 gsot rams were favored by 17 or more points 5 times - in those games the rams scored 57, 48, 45, 41 and 34 , for a whopping average of 45 points per game. :D :shock2: :D

by LoyalRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   248  
Rookie

The Rams should cover the spread, as long as McVay doesn't go into his turtle mode in the second half by mostly running the ball. He doesn't give a Cr*p about the spread and would be happy with a one point victory, which is true for us all in the end. Are we capable of hanging a 40 burger on the Lions? Yes. But will we?

by BobCarl
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   4306  
Superstar

LoyalRam wrote:Are we capable of hanging a 40 burger on the Lions?
YES, by halftime.

by AvengerRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I'll give pretty good odds that the Rams will get their first defensive score this Sunday.

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Wouldn't shock me if the Rams got off to a slow start like they did in NY. Goff prefers to throw underneath. Rams defense prefers to give a cushion underneath. At least for the first few possessions. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Lions got the first score. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Rams still won by 3 TD's or more at the end.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 24 2024